Poll

Do you prefer a handgun with an accessory rail or no rail?

Rail
5 (25%)
No rail
14 (70%)
Rail on full-size guns but not on compact models
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 23, 2006, 02:57:14 AM

Author Topic: Accessory Rail  (Read 644 times)

Offline Sir Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Accessory Rail
« on: March 23, 2006, 02:57:14 AM »
It seems that more and more handgun makers (Beretta, Sig, etc.) are making their guns with accessory rails. Accessory rails are even appearing on compact (S&W, etc.) and sub-compact (Kel-Tec, etc.) models. Do you think that this is a good thread that handguns are heading in or would you prefer your CCW to be free of such rails?
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Questor

Accessory Rail
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:43:36 AM »
Why do rails exist in the first place? It seems like a stupid idea at face value.
Safety first

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Accessory Rail
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 03:50:08 AM »
I voted for the rail because I like the idea of having a tactical light on my house gun. If I need to do some shooting in a dark home the light will be a great advantage. Proper target idenification and the extra few seconds the blinding light in the intruders eyes would give me a great advantage.
The only disadvantage of the rail (in my eyes) would possibly be slower holdster removal. So maybe for a "holdster carry only" gun I would choose no rail, but I have no such carry only guns.
The way I look at it, the rail is there so you can add goddies if you want to. If not then it's just there "incase". What if down the road they come out with some fancy swancy sighting system you just have to have? Well if you don't have a rail you can't use it.

Offline Questor

Accessory Rail
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 05:22:28 AM »
Let me rephrase the question: To what professional or practical use are these lights actually applied? All marketing hype aside, I don't see any cops with stuff like this. Somebody must find real value in it. In a defense situation where I'm holding a gun approximately right over my "center mass" I don't think that drawing attention to that point by putting a light on it is necessarily a good idea.

It would be nice to see what some of the security and police profession have to say about this.

I read handgun articles in a few different handgunning magazines and I can't recall ever having seen an article that made a case for the value of these accessory lights mounted on guns.
Safety first

Offline jimster

Accessory Rail
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:12:37 AM »
I voted no rail, for CCW...exception might be at your own place at night, but for the most part I can carry a flashlight with me then also.
If this is for my CCW weapons that I carry a lot, I vote no on the rail.

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Accessory Rail
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:24:22 AM »
My favorite gun owners are the ones that buy the black plastic and proceed to double the weight of the gun with gee-gaws.  I voted no rail simply because I don't shoot in the dark.  Laser sights and flashlights just tell the other guy where you are.

Aim for the shiney thing!  Zcarp2

PS- as with all things electronic, the batteries WILL be dead the one time you REALLY need them.
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Accessory Rail
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 09:13:24 AM »
A rail is just more stuff that would get in the way on a CCW.  I would rather just have the gun, and shoot it without having to click a switch or grip harder or wait to aim for a small light or something like that.  The only thing I use a light on is my air rifle for night hunting, nothing like a little velcro and some rubber strips :D
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Savage

Accessory Rail
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
I'm not a fan of light rails, however, they might have a place on a full size duty weapon, or a home defense one. I feel the idea is absurd for a CCW, I am better served by a stand alone flashlight. Most of the LE units in my area carry a duty weapon with the light attached in their night gear. I have a couple of pistols with rails, (full size Glocks) but don't own any ge-gaws to hang on them. As Zcrap2 mentioned, I too am amused at the number of people that buy a light, compact, pistol for CCW and start adding grip extensions, lazers, taclights, and crap all over them.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Questor

Accessory Rail
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »
Well, then what kind of crap can we put on the rail of a Glock?
1) Bayonette
2) Rifle-style bipod
3) Wheels
4) Rocket launcher
5) Grenade launcher
6) Pepper spray attachment
7) Bat-o-rang (of 1960's Batman fame)
8) White flag deployment module (for sale in France only)
9) Cuckoo clock
10) Wallet (Avoid using in convenience stores where reaching into such a wallet will result in heart failure of the clerk.)
Safety first

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Accessory Rail
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 02:03:17 PM »
Quote from: Questor
Let me rephrase the question: To what professional or practical use are these lights actually applied? All marketing hype aside, I don't see any cops with stuff like this. Somebody must find real value in it. In a defense situation where I'm holding a gun approximately right over my "center mass" I don't think that drawing attention to that point by putting a light on it is necessarily a good idea.

It would be nice to see what some of the security and police profession have to say about this.

I read handgun articles in a few different handgunning magazines and I can't recall ever having seen an article that made a case for the value of these accessory lights mounted on guns.

Like I said before, I like having a tactical light on my house gun because I don't want to worry about finding a flashlight when and if the poop hits the fan. The light is there if I need a light, if I don't need a light then I don't turn it on. How are you going to identify and sight your target if you don't have a light? If you turn on the lights in the room your in you back light yourself and make yourself a sitting duck. I see your point in the light giving your position away but. The idea is to suprise him not the other way around and you must idenify the need to use leathal force before doing so. I want to make absolute sure I need to shoot the intruder before doning so and I feel hitting him with high energy light is the best way to do this. I should know his intentions very quickly when I can see him all lit up.
Like I said before I don't have a C.C.W. permit. If I did have one then I probably wouldn't want a rail on the gun I carried.
Some Policeman do use tactical lights on their guns. A lot of swat teams use them to, as well as the military. This is why all theese gun manufacturers are putting them on there. They do have professional and practical uses or they wouldn't be there.

Offline Questor

Accessory Rail
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 02:19:15 PM »
I'm going to be the hard sell on this one. I just searched the web for quite a while and it looks like these tactical accessories are a solution looking for a problem.  From what I can see there has been enabling technology developed for making durable light weight lights that can be mounted on handguns. Lots and lots of people sell them. It looks like just one more marketing opportunity.
Safety first

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Accessory Rail
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »
Come on Don't leave me here alone out in the dark. There has to be rail guys out there.

Offline williamlayton

Accessory Rail
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 10:39:36 PM »
I do see a need for the rail in the hands of those who are professional but I am not.
I do not like the looks from an esthetic point of view but understand the desire of the makers to apply the availability on their weapons. I would believe it too be too costly to not use them on all.
It matters not too me that they are there, i much prefer that the weapon be reliable than cosmetically pure.
I do not like the looks of front cocking serrations but see the need.
I would eliminate all my dislikes if it were a custom weapon but for a commercial venture I can live with them.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Questor

Accessory Rail
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 03:24:45 AM »
Still sounds like a vanity feature to me. If the mainstream of gun manufacturing has adopted a feature that is only useful to the rare individuals on SWAT and similar teams, then it's all just marketing smoke.
Safety first

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Accessory Rail
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 10:55:40 AM »
Ivoted for the rail,my Ruger345 has one.Marylander is right on this one. :D
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Accessory Rail
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2006, 02:45:45 PM »
:D Well now, I finally got some company :lol:  :lol: . Thanks ratgunner.

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Accessory Rail
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 07:44:19 AM »
I like the rail. Rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I think that a light/lazer would give you an advantage in the dark then not having it.
Chance favors the prepared mind