Author Topic: Callin All Woofs..........In Da Dark!  (Read 514 times)

Offline killdeer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Callin All Woofs..........In Da Dark!
« on: March 24, 2006, 06:35:35 AM »
I busted my first wylie here recently.  25-06, 75 gr V-MAX with explosive results. I gotta tell you, it was a bigger rush than any deer I can recall in the last 10 years. If you have not tried it and get the chance, do it!
   Now, I need your help.  I need a fantastic lowlight/ twilight scope at far less than Euro prices.  Objective size will not be a hindrance for this application. I do not like to buy my gear twice, so it must be lifetime quality. I normally drive Luepies as they give me a certain peace of mind and have never had one lose zero. Also get a kind of brother inlaw deal on Luepies and that helps.   I am thinking VXIII 3.5x10x50 and sending it in to have a Ger. #1 reticle and elevation turret installed.
  Another I am considering is the Nikon Gold 2.5x10x50 or 56 with Ger.#4 reticle. I have no idea what the view through the Nikon is like but am thinking it might be superior to the Luepie, but I also need 100% repeatability and dependability. Plus the Nikons may be slightly out of reach price wise. I know what the Luepie is, Tell me about the Nikon Gold.
  Thanks in advance,  KD :sniper:

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 02:24:22 AM »
Forget about the Nikon Gold.  It is a Monarch with a 30mm tube, and that bigger tube is not going to do much for you as you think.

What you should definately look at is the Nikon Monarch ILLUMINATE RETICLE in 3.5x-10x-50mm (with standard 1" tube).  I bought one of these scopes from Jon at the Optic Zone and I LOVE THIS SCOPE!!!

I have it mounted on a Remington M700 Varmint Stainless Fluted (Sendero SS) in .308.  I have used this gun AND ILLUMINATED SCOPE on hunting wild hogs AT NIGHT!  The Illuminated reticle is JUST A GOD SENT and a necessity when hunting in low light hours.

Plus, the Nikon allows you to switch from green to red reticles, and it offers several brightness levels.

Forget about that big fat German reticle - that's old school.  Get the new illuniated reticle system.  AND the Nikon Monarch illuminated is reasonably priced.  I forgot how much I bought mine about 2 or 3 years ago.  Go to the optic zone and check them out.

This post is giving you the best advise you need for your night hunting application!  TRUST ME!

Zachary

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 06:49:42 AM »
Personally I like Leopould, their custom shop can't be beat.  Especially if you want to get into long range shooting for those yotes later.  Give them the velocity of the round you're shooting and send in your scope.  They will install a custom reticle for that round.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline killdeer

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »
Zachary, are you saying that the Nikon Gold has the same lenses and coatings as a Monarch?
 I can dig the aesthetics of a 30mm tube especially when coupled with the hubblesque 50 or 56mm, plus they are able to accomadate more adjustment.
 I don't use lighting of any sort and it takes awhile to attain my best vision. I fear an illuminated reticle might spoil it and so have not tried one. The traditional night reticles mentioned previously work for me, I really just want to get the best mid priced glass possible in a 50 or 56mm.
Scope companies seem to keep the finer points of their products materials and coatings to themselves and looking through one at a store is pretty much worthless. Lighted reticle aside, how well can you see at night through your Monarch without the aid of artificial light? Appreciate the input.

KD

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 03:20:04 PM »
Killdeer,

Yes, the Nikon Gold has the same glass quality as the Nikon Monarch - both have 95% light transmission.

As far as illuminated reticles aside, the optics on the Monarch are EXCELLENT and I can see things better at night with the Monarch than I can with many other brands.

Let me tell you a true story.

I was once deer hunting.  It was very, very overcast, meaning that it got dark much sooner than legal shooting hours.  I did not have a watch on, so I don't know what time it was, but it was very very dark.

I decided to look down the road where I had thrown out some corn.  Lo and behold, a could see a deer in my cross hairs.  I was so surprised that I could actually see the deer under such very dark conditions.

Now here is the best part - that was with my Pre-Monarch scope.  You see, before Nikon had the Monarch line, Nikon scopes were just called Nikons.  There were not any other models.

When the Monarchs came out and I first looked through one, I was just amazed at the optics - super bright, sharp, and clear.

I'm telling you - the Nikon Monarch glass is just incredible.  Then when you have the illuminated reticle, it's almost like cheating.

Trust me, get the Monarch illuminated.  I'll await your thanks. :wink:

Oh, BTW, I went to SWFA and bearbasin's websites to see how much they charge for the Monarch 3.5x-10x-50mm illuminated.  I never buy from them anymore because I ONLY buy from jon at www.theopticzone.com because he has the lowest prices and, more importantly, the BEST service.  Anyhow, the other two are selling that scope for $599, which even at that price is worth every penny.

theopticzone sells the same scope for $499. :eek:

I think that you will be giving Jon a call sometime tomorrow. :grin:

Zachary

Offline killdeer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 05:17:40 PM »
Zachary,
tink u veddy much! :mrgreen:

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 03:42:43 PM »
You'll thank me after you buy, and use, that scope.  :D

Zachary

Offline killdeer

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 06:42:52 AM »
Zachary, I bought a NIB Nikon Gold 2.5-10x56 w/#4 for $372 shipped.
 You were correct, the optics are stunning. My groups shrank by nearly a half inch, I think due to the side focus.

She ain't illuminated, but your comments past and present nudged me in the right direction.

THANK YOU!