Author Topic: Scope for 17 HMR  (Read 867 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Scope for 17 HMR
« on: March 25, 2006, 03:11:07 AM »
I have a tack drivin' Marlin 917VS. I've been using a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and it's a great scope, but I need more magnification. It is my rabbit rifle, and I'd like to be able to see them a lot better at 100 yards or so. I've been looking at switching to a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 or the 6-24x40. I have read that the 6-24 model is not good at the high magnification. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried either one of these or any other recommendations, keeping in mind that I'm on a limited budget (no Leopolds). Thanks.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 06:41:44 AM »
That 40mm objective lens just does not let enough light in.  At high power on a cloudy day you can't see through it above about 14 power.  And on a sunny day it is dim above 20 power.  At least that's the way they are to me.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline daddywpb

Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 07:29:32 AM »
Thanks. That is what I had read about them. I think I will be getting the 50mm objective. I also saw a new Bushnell made for the 17 HMR that has a BDC built in. Interesting. BSA has had one like that out for a long time, but I had a bad experiance with a BSA scope and I don't think I'll try another one.

Offline daddywpb

Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 09:31:45 AM »
I ended up with a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5x20x50 that was on sale at Midway for $99. It was a good choice. It's bright and clear all the way to 20x. I can see a rabbit's eyelashes at 100 yards. They have gotten real spooky and it's tough to get much closer than that. I'll be putting some meat in the freezer this summer.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »
My 17HMR is the only rifle that does not have a Leupold on it. I have a Simmons 44MAG 6.5x20X44 on it. Works great.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 09:38:57 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
My 17HMR is the only rifle that does not have a Leupold on it. I have a Simmons 44MAG 6.5x20X44 on it. Works great.  :D

You are kidding right?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 03:20:46 PM »
i find that you can go cheaper on a scope for rimfires. Tasco 6-24x42 on my .17HMR.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Scope for 17 HMR
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 04:29:58 PM »
Quote from: victorcharlie
Quote from: Redhawk1

You are kidding right?

I had it sitting in my safe when I bought the gun, it was in my younger days before I knew how good Leupold was.  :-D  :D  I have not bought any others rifle scope but a Leupold in the past 7 years.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA