Author Topic: Would you sell it???  (Read 787 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Would you sell it???
« on: March 27, 2006, 06:54:54 AM »
I'm curious.....

Let's say you happened to luck into shooting the new #1 Boone & Crockett typical whitetail and it's a monster..not just a couple inches over...say something like the Jordan buck..but even larger and perfectly even with no deductions to speak of.....Would you sell the head to the highest bidder...put it up for auction...or just keep it?????

I've had that recurring thought several times..on one hand..I have to take care of my family's needs..on the other hand..having a trophy like that on my wall would be one of the neatest things around..and for any deer hunter...I don't know....How about you...????????

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline winman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Would you sell it???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 07:12:42 AM »
OK, I admit it, I'm a selfish glutton.  I would have it mounted.  I would then bask in the glory, and 'invent' amazing stories about the chase and my incredible hunting prowess.  After getting rich writing articles for Field and Stream and all that ilk, and after absolutley milking every sports magazine willing to pay me money, I would then and only then consider selling the mount to the highest bidder, pay off my '84 Bronco and look for a new pickup.  Probably a '92 Chevy, maybe even something with 4-wheel drive.

Offline victorcharlie

Would you sell it???
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:39:17 AM »
I'd try to get all the sportsmans sponsorships I could for "use" of the trophy and lease it out to those companies that sponsor my hunting.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
Would you sell it???
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »
Sell it!!!!  Get a contract where you are the owner of all rights of duplication.  Then have the duplicate mounted in your home.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Would you sell it???
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 01:13:35 PM »
Mac, you can have your cake & eat it too in this case.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Would you sell it???
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 05:50:06 PM »
Depends on the money offered, if someone offered enough I'd likely let it go. From my discussions with personal friends of Rompola I think that's what he did. I saw photos of the deer dead on the ground with the fellow I know in the photo with it. This was while the deer still had it's hide, meat and bones attached to that rack. He assured me it was the real McCoy but was real reluctant to tell the full story of how it was taken unless he got big bucks to cover the lawsuit that would follow.

The story line most folks heard is that the holder of the current record threatened to sue him over it and he went into hiding. Me thinks the more true story might be he paid Rompola who hates publicity anyway to be quiet about it so he could continue to knock down millions with his. Then the head was sold to a collector in CA for a sum I'm unsure of but it has six figures in it.

I suspect but have no proof of it that Rompola cleared $300,000 to $400,000 on it. Yeah I'd likely sell it out for that and a reproduction of it for my wall.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jh45gun

Would you sell it???
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »
I would get good documentation that it was mine get it mounted and a repo mount done and sell the origional. Hey you got a repo which the fishing guys do all the time though in their case it is a bit different as they return it to be caught again which you cannot do with game. The thing is we are only here on this planet for so long if you can make a killing on it go for it the repo will look as good and you made a bundle besides to make life easier.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Swamp Fox

• Avid Poster
Would you sell it???
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »
You might as well sell it to the highest bidder.
The other option is to have it insured. Then the insurance company will tell you the amount of security you need to keep coverage.
A rack worth $1/2M is gonna get lifted.
"We may not imagine how our lives could be more frustrating and complex—but Congress can." —Cullen Hightower

Offline Questor

Would you sell it???
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 03:47:53 AM »
I'd sell it after taking some nice pictures. These things go for fantastic amounts of money and they may as well be sold. Selling such a thing would finance quite a lot of great hunting.
Safety first

Offline Savage .250

Would you sell it???
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 04:24:05 AM »
If it was that outstanding............. It would go on my wall!
    Ok, maybe a Natural History Museum where it could be displayed for all
      to see plus be taken care of for the long haul.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Would you sell it???
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 04:44:07 AM »
I'd call Milo Hansen's agent immediately!!!

Offline countryrebel8174

• Avid Poster
Would you sell it???
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:30:30 AM »
im not much of an antler hunter so i would sell it...meat probley wouldnt taste that good anyway...and im sure the antlers wouldnt either...yep sell it and spend the money on guns and new toys, definately. oh wait and i would bid on a big horn sheep auction!

country rebel
they can try and take my guns....but i aint givin' em up until all my shells are gone or i quit breathing.