Author Topic: Night Force scopes?  (Read 540 times)

Offline gwindrider1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Night Force scopes?
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:06:57 AM »
I've only seen an ad for these as yet, so I don't know much about them.  Does anyone here have any experience with these scope yet?  

They offer a 1-4x20 with lighted reticle that might be a hot ticket for a DGR, if it can stand up to recoil and weather.

Please chime in if you have had any experience with these.  Thanks! :D

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Night Force scopes?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 07:38:31 AM »
My best friend has 2 .  One is the 5.5-22x50 NXS mounted on a 308 tactical rifle and the other is a 2.5-10x24NXS mounted on a 338-06. Both scopes are rugged looking and look extremely well built. The 5.5 is very heavy and will probably never go out of zero in extreme conditions. It optically ranks behind Zeiss,Swarovski,Kahles and he claims it is slightly better then his generation 3 Springfield armory scope  :eek:  They are both equipped with illuminated reticles which work superbly in all kinds of light. If it was to be put on a tactical rifle I would go Nightforce if it is going on a lowlight rifle  Zeiss VM . Hope that helps
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Zachary

Night Force scopes?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 03:38:43 PM »
I have one - the NXS 5.5x-22x-56mm Illuminated (well...all of them are illuminated).

It weighs as much as a cruise ship's anchor, but it is built like a tank.

It has very good glass, but not as good as Swarovski (which is the same price as the NXS).

Shooters use these scopes for 1,000 yard benchrest competitions, so you know the optics must be good.

As for hunting, forget about using it on a mountain gun - no hiking here - unless you WANT a workout.

For hunting purposes, it really is more of a novelty scope.

Zachary

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
Night Force scopes?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 03:34:03 AM »
If they are priced like Swarovski's, I believe I would buy a Swarovski!

Thanks much! :D

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Night Force scopes?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 07:22:21 AM »
They are a couple hundred under Swarovski at the minimum if purchased right. You can drive nails with a Nightforce used as a hammer  they are that well built. The Swaro is not designed for combat situations and is a better hunting scope. It probably weighs at minimum 12 ounces less as well.  Swaro spends a lot of money on advertising and their dealers absolutely love selling them if you know what I mean. Personally the Zeiss VM eats them both up and spits them out as does the Schmidt and Bender
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Zachary

Night Force scopes?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »
Quote from: gwindrider1
If they are priced like Swarovski's, I believe I would buy a Swarovski!

Not necessarily.  Nightforce v. Swarovski is an apples to oranges comparison.  If you are going to do a lot of hiking while hunting during normal hunting conditions, then obviously get the Swarovski.

If, however, you are going to go hunting in antartica, then Africa, and then to Alaska, and then to Mars, and then to the Moon, then get the NXS.

Seriously though - the NXS has all of the adjustments that are very helpful in serious long range shooting.  The Swarovski is not designed, or built, for that.  Keep in mind that the NXS scopes are normally mounted on top of .50BMG rifles!

Zachary

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
Night Force scopes?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 07:32:21 AM »
Thanks for the info!  Much appreciated! :D