Author Topic: Google  (Read 1092 times)

Offline williek

• Trade Count: (0)
Google
« on: March 29, 2006, 12:45:19 PM »
I don't know just where to post this but this google thing is driving me nuts!!!!!!!
Everywhere I go takes twice as long as before, and I have to wade through the google stuff before I can get to ANYTHING.  It takes twice as long to load everything and on my slow telephone line it was already slow.
I have really enjoyed the Graybeard forum and read almost every new post each day, but there just aren't enough hours to deal with the google inserted everywhere I try to go. They must be paying very well to have their stuff inserted in so many places but it is only the first day and I already hate them so much I wouldn't do business with them for all the tea in China!
williek

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Google
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:24:09 PM »
Sorry but I guess I just flat don't have a clue where you're coming from. We've noticed no slow down from the Google ads at this time. If we do we'll do something about it but so far we can tell no adverse affect on the site. Now there are times when the spider bots hit us things slow down a bit and there is at this time nothing we can do about that if we want to be on the search engines up high and we do. But Matt is working on a fix for that even.

As to them being in the way where how? I am not even aware of them in my reading and posting. You can't be serious.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Google
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 01:52:51 PM »
Didn't I see something posted awhile back about Google being anti-gun?

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Google
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:58:30 PM »
Got no clue but as long as they want to PAY me I don't even care. I'm not paying them they are paying ME.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Haywire Haywood

Google
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 02:05:54 PM »
Interesting... if they were anti-gun, why would they pay for advertisement on an outdoor forum?  I guess money crosses all political and idealistic lines.

Ian

usually...

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Google
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »
I have seen no slow downs or problems at all. To be honest I didn't know anything about Google being on this site until now. I don't understand how you are having problems. Are you talking about getting pop-ups or something? I have never had one single pop-up while on Graybeards. Like Graybeard stated there were some problems with posting in the past but Matt has them all fixed up as far as I'm concerned. All is well for me at Graybeards, Google or no Google. Maybe there's something wrong with your P.C.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Google
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »
Like Marylandeer, I didn't even know anything about Google being on board until I read this string and then looked for it.

The only problem I've been experiencing as of late is that I am not always automatically logged on when I come to the site.  Other than that things have been a lot smoother and faster lately. Keep up the good work Matt.

I did hear  something about Google being anti gun a while back also but it (Google) has never stopped me from searching gun related sites so I don't know if there is any truth to it.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Google
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 06:56:48 PM »
I have no clue what if any stance Google has on guns. BUT they have thousands of gun ads, hunting ads and such that folks are paying them to display so I'd have to think they aren't very anti anything that makes them money. They do NOT allow any adult content nor do they pay adult sites or allow Google ads on them. We have selected the option of shooting ONLY ads related to the content on this site so gun, hunting, shooting, fishing type ads are all you'll see from them on this site. That reduced our revenue some from them but insures that any ads you see when you click if you click should be at least related to the things on this site.

Matt has assured me they will not at any time slow down our servers, Google has super fast servers and they will not slow us down. Now some of the mods he added back last night may have had an impact today, we're still assessing that and deciding on leaving them all or taking some back off.

How the ads where we've placed them could be a problem for anyone is beyond me. You kinda have to hunt for them to know they are there. So far they don't seem to be generating the revenue we had hoped for but they are generating money and it will help us and costs us nothing to add it. If they were a problem they wouldn't be here.

There are NO POP UPS on GBO except the one for new PMs if you've selected that option. I hate pop ups and so does Matt, you can be assured we're NOT gonna have them here. If you get one other than notice of a new PM while at GBO you picked it up elsewhere and need to locate and use a good spyware/adware program.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Haywire Haywood

Google
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 10:48:37 PM »
That's great, either they've changed their tune or it was one of those internet rumors that had little or no basis in fact.  I guess I can start using them again.  :)

Ian

usually...

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Google
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:45:53 AM »
Speaking of added features. What is the 'Rating' and "GBO Auctions" pull downs all about GB?  Is this something new?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline williek

google
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 04:34:00 AM »
Well, seeing that I was the one who started this, it's only fair that I give more detail.
First, let me state I'm all in favor of business and making making money.  That's how capitolism works, and if the government keeps their hands off, it works well.
I have a small Webtv unit that doesn't have a lot of computer power and it is on a slow rural telephone line.  That problem is caused by me.
When I signed on this morning and GBO started to load, the normal advertisment printed across the top of the page and then the full screen filled with a google ad with most of the screen blank and some choices at the bottom.  I then had to sit and wait while the google material loaded.  Once the loading is complete it just sits there and does nothing.  The first day I sat and waited for it to continue and finally figured out that I needed to scroll down.
After the above I clicked on the veiw topics since last visit and had a repeat of the above and had to sit and wait until google was loaded.  By this time I was a little annoyed.
I then scrolled down to the first topic I wanted to read, clicked on it, and up popped google.
Every single topic I clicked on had the same result.
The same thing happened today, and when I clicked on the reply to this topic- up popped google, along with the slow wait in order to reply.
It would take me all day or at least a large part of it to view all the topics I would like to.
I suspect that it must be something in my webtv that is different than a normal computer seeing that noone else is having the problem.
I have really enjoyed this forum and think the great scope of topics offered is wonderful.  I got started here because of all the great posts on shooting traditional black powder rifles.  I went to school on those posts and read every single one of them.  Taken as a whole they were far more informative than any book I was able to find on the subject.
I don't expect you to take the time and money to fix my little problem because after reading the posts this morning I don't think the problem lies on your end.
I will miss my daily readings of GBO, but into each life a little rain must fall.
williek

Offline Siskiyou

Google
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 05:13:40 AM »
From the West Coast:  I have had no problem since Google made an appearance.  I normally hookup on dial-up, but sometimes I hookup wireless and everthing functions normally.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Google
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 05:44:08 AM »
williek, you have a problem all right but I don't think it has anything to do with the Google ads on GBO. None of the rest of us are seeing what you are.

The ads we have placed on the site are found near the top of each page just below the rotating banner that was already there and above the gray area that has the links to various parts of the site. It's a very thin line of text only that is not even as large as the gray area with our site links on it.

If you are seeing other than this it is NOT coming from the GBO server I'm sure. Also any pop ups you are seeing are NOT coming from GBO as we have none on this site to include Google, there are no pop ups associated with Google on GBO.

You need to down load and run a good spyware/Adware program and get rid of whatever has gotten onto your computer. I'm not computer literate enough to explain all you need to do but we have lots of help in this area in the Forum down in the help section on computers. I suggest you go there and read and ask questions or PM or e-mail Matt for help. I'll try to get him to take a look here as well but I'm sure what you have isn't the result of what we've done here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Google
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 06:16:48 AM »
Speaking of added features. What is the 'Rating' and "GBO Auctions" pull downs all about GB? Is this something new?

Matt will be putting something out on this in the near future. Until then you know about as much as I do on it. He asked me last night if it would be OK to add an auction again and I reluctantly gave him the green light but told him I didn't expect it to go over any better this time than it did the first time he tried it. At that time I refused to allow it and he set it up on his own on his server not the GBO server and as I predicted it failed miserably. But he still hasn't gotten it out of his system so I've agreed to let him try it on the GBO server.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Siskiyou

Google
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 04:03:53 PM »
Popups!  Suddenly my popup block is getting some business on the  Index page.  This is not happening on the other pages.  I have not allowed it so I have no idea what is being blocked.  When ever I return to the index page a popup gets blocked. :eek: I am glad that I am setup to block them.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
Google
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 04:44:09 PM »
No pop-ups here yet. I'm not showing that any have been blocked either.

Online Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
Google
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
First, I did not design GBO to be "WebTV" Frendly. We have a total of 11 members who use WebTV as their primary browser according to our server. So I am sorry but to re-design GBO for 11 people in my opinion is a bit a a waste... Now, if you all will just keep from getting all upset about the Google stuff for a few more days the GBO Archive system will be back online and this is a way to read any and all post with only the GBO rotating Banner showing. This should fix the google issue for the WebTV users if there is one.

Second, When was the last time you updated your WebTV, is it an old model or newer one? If it is an older one then I am sorry, but there is just not much I can do if the Archive does not help you...

Ok now on to the other questions and comments...
GBO and POP-UPs... GBO has only one pop up and that is for the PM system and only if you tell it to pop up. Google does not create nor do they allow pop ups in or for any ad they display. #1 Rule for them is no pop ups...  So if you are seeing a pop up on the index page I would bet you that it is your PM's or you have another site open in another browser window that is causing this or your computer is infected with adware or spyware... Goto Microsoft.com and download Windows Defender and install it, update it and run it... If you still have issues go to Download.com and search for "Ad aware" download and install it. Both are Free and one is about as good as the other, but hey I run both.

NEW GBO AUCTION -----  ITS FREE ---- NO COMMISSIONS -----

I have setup a new auction system for our members to use to make money on GBO, as well as a New Classifieds ads system that all of you have seen by now I am sure.

The Auction system is very easy to use... If you can use the forums you can use both the classifieds and the Auction system... We do have a few paid areas of the auctions but not the classifieds as of yet. Theres are really more of extras for your ads and are not required... All ads and auctions can be created for Free as long as you abide by the GBO terms of Use. The charges for the extra features are to help GBO generate a little extra revenue to help us make GBO even better and more informative each year... Pay for them if you like or dont... your choice and it will have no effect on your ad if you go the all FREE way... I do not expect us to make much money on the auctions but I have my reasons for wanting them and we will leave it at that...

It is my hopes that GBO members will take advantage of what we offer them.

GBO Classifieds ( Sell your old used stuff or start your own Home based Business selling on GBO )

GBO Auctions  Same thing... Sell your old stuff or start a home based business and earn some extra cash... We want you to... People there is a huge opertunity for anyone that wants to take advantage of it at GBO.

If you would like to know more about this, or how to do it just PM me and I will be glad to help...

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Siskiyou

Google
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 06:09:53 PM »
Matt you could be right.  After the post I did run Adware what I do weekly and came up with  11  hits.  I  zapped them.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Google
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 09:52:44 PM »
GBO Classifieds ( Sell your old used stuff or start your own Home based Business selling on GBO )

One thing Matt keeps forgetting to add is that ads on GBO are NOT FREE if you're running a business, you MUST pay to do that.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline victorcharlie

Google
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 02:13:52 AM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
Interesting... if they were anti-gun, why would they pay for advertisement on an outdoor forum?  I guess money crosses all political and idealistic lines.

Ian

Congratulation.  You figured it out!  NEW WORLD ORDER!

No problems here, and the site seems as fast as it ever was.  I think Matt's got things running pretty darn good right now....

Matt gets a "gold" star for today!
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Savage .250

Google
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 06:41:36 AM »
I`m with Brett on the "automatic sign on thing."  Funny thing though it doesn`t happen all the time. Other than that as long as i can climb aboard
   i`m good.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Online Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
Google
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 12:19:23 AM »
For those of you on a dial up connection you can now access the "GBO Archive" This is the GBO Forums but without any images or reply buttons, just a stripped down version of GBO.

If you wish to reply to a post from the Archive you will need to look on the upper left side of the thread Under the "Topic Title" you should see:
 "Click here to go to the original topic"
 Click it and it will load the real thread and allow you to reply to it.

The archive is "realtime" meaning all topics and posts on the "GBO forums" are also in the "Archive". There is no delay for posts to show in the archive after posting, it is instant.

The archive serves two purposes;
1) fast way for dial-up members to surf GBO
2) gets search engine bots off of GBO main forums

Hope this helps some of you.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline 379 Peterbilt

Google
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 02:41:26 AM »
That sure is a good idea for anyone on dial up. Short sweet and to the points without all the bs. Fast load no doubt. I wish we had that feature back before I got DSL, haha

Offline jhm

Google
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 04:07:45 AM »
I like Sisquie have a security system that has bn busy blocking google adds also, but it hasnt bn a problem to me just the counter going higher and higher, If I want to see a Ad I will just type it in, keep up the good work Bill / Matt   :D    JIM