Author Topic: Bausch and Lomb 2x8 balvar scope  (Read 790 times)

Offline xraze

• Trade Count: (0)
Bausch and Lomb 2x8 balvar scope
« on: March 30, 2006, 05:55:24 AM »
Got a question; I picked up a used rifle with a bausch and lomb balvar 2x8 scope mounted on it.  Rifle was purchased around '67 while co-worker was in the Phillipines (navy).  Model 70 winchester in 300 win. mag. He fired 3 rounds of ammo thru it and decided to park it in the gunsafe. Too much recoil!! :shock:  I figured a good elk gun; like new; but don't know much about the optics.  My co-worker who is an M.D. told me the scope was "top of the line" at the time.  Can't seem to find a whole lot of info about it.  Any thoughts?  Looks clear and bright to me; holds zero as I have fired the rig approx 75 rounds.  I'm just curious what the seasoned shooters think. Thanks

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 04:29:31 PM »
My brother had one on his .270 back in the late 60's.  I was jealous.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:16:45 PM »
GOOD SCOPE!!! :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »
In its day it was an excellent scope. Today it's still a mechanically good scope but optically compared to even many of the cheap scopes it's lacking. Comparing it to something I'm most familiar with it's not even the equal of the Bushnell Trophy line of scopes of today. Mechanically it is but optically it isn't.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline xraze

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 05:09:34 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys; I think I'll consider it a nostalgia piece and maybe opt for something else. I'm sure I'd be cussing up a storm if an early a.m. shot presented itself and I was unable to see due to suboptimal optics! Looks kinda cool though without any turrets on it.  Maybe an old push feed model 70 in superb condition should be shelved for that one person who couldn't live without it. :?: Sounds like I could perhaps justify another gun purchase pretty easily.  Thanks again guys!  xraze  :D