Author Topic: 20 ga USH - 22" vs 24"  (Read 672 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
20 ga USH - 22" vs 24"
« on: March 31, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »
My son has outgrown his 20ga Youth Model Ultra Slug Hunter

So the options are:
1. Trading in the Y/M against the purchase of a new standard size, or
2. Replacing the Y/M stock with a full size stock.

If I replace the stock (which is the easier and cheaper of the two options),
the only difference is that it would still have the 22" barrel that came with the Y/M versus a 24" barrel on the standard size.

Would the 2" shorter barrel make any significant difference in its overall accuracy?
I don't forsee any shot exceeding 100 yards.
I'm wondering if the gun might also be a little more balanced with the shorter barrel.

Thanks guys.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
20 ga USH - 22" vs 24"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 02:28:13 PM »
NO appreciable difference in any hunting situation. Either get an adult sized buttstock or just buy a small size slip-on Sims recoil pad. That will lengthen the stock to just about full size and it will make that gun so easy to shoot you or he would be able to go through 100-200 slugs a day at the range if you wanted to. If he does not like the feel of reduced recoil you could ALWAYS sell the small slip-on Sims pad here (I'd buy a used one in a heartbeat, let me know if you end up selling it, but I doubt you will!) or you could put it on any other gun it would fit, and it should fit all H&R's....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
20 ga USH - 22" vs 24"
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 03:11:38 AM »
That's interesting.  Never thought of putting a slip on over a stock that already has a recoil pad.  Thanks, Andy.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
20 ga USH - 22" vs 24"
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 05:38:47 AM »
OK buddy, I hope you try it and it you like the way it feels. I have done it and it really softens recoil to the point of being a soft push. It is a great way to lengthen a stock for a growing youth and reduce recoil at the same time....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
20 ga USH - 22" vs 24"
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:48:35 PM »
Yeah, what MSP said. The Limbsaver slip on is nice, I use one on one of my White muzzleloaders with a 13-1/2 LOP. It give you about 3/4" or so  extra LOP. Most of my guns have about 14-1/4" LOP and that is where I like 'em. :grin:  I don't have any Monte Carlo youth stocks here, even though the slip on Limbsaver is shorter than others it may run into the comb at the rear, so take that into consideration since there is less room there on the youth stock. Take a look.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=3&subcat=17#34

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/firearms/slipon.aspx

I would keep the 22" barrel as long as it is accurate, the extra 2" would offer no appreciable difference at 100 yards IMO. He is already used to the trigger pull on that frame too.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member