Author Topic: Flashlight Techniques  (Read 425 times)

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Flashlight Techniques
« on: March 31, 2006, 03:38:05 PM »
How many of you pratice in low/no light conditions, and what flashlight technique do you use? Night shoots are fun. Night quals are an eye opener!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Flashlight Techniques
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »
For revolvers, get a small metal regular round flashlight, two rubber erasers (the square kind) and two velcro straps.  Take the erasers, put them inbetween the barrel of the gun and the flashlight, and then strap it on with the velcro.  I do this, and also wear a small led headlamp to see the sights, this way, the flashlight lines up with where you are shooting, and provides enough light to see, and then you can see your sights with the headlamp, and be able to have light wherever you look.  The drawback is that you can't holster your pistol, unless you have a scoped holster, but it does free your hands.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Flashlight Techniques
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 02:00:51 PM »
For a pistol, I use the Harries method once in awhile, but alot of the time, I hold it out over my shoulder(can't remember the name of that one).  I like the idea behind the second technique better, that way in case someone was wanting to shoot at the light, you're not right behind it.  Night time work on coons and possums with a rifle though, I usually just place the light next to the forearm on the left hand side.

~~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline corbanzo

Flashlight Techniques
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 02:07:12 PM »
Here is an example of what I was talking about earlier on my single six.

With short barreled revolvers, you can put another erase against the barrel, so the flashlight with clear the cylinder, I couldn't find another eraser, so in this example I put a box of staples.  The strap goes forward so the ejection rod will clear when opening the cylinder.  This is on a Taurus .44mag.

"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline FireMaker

Flashlight use
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 04:00:53 PM »
Mostly I use the weaver.  Works well with the pistol and easy to transition to rifle or shotgun.  Practice on regular basis.  starting to think about getting one of the rear button lights and going with the harries.

Offline Larry Gibson

Flashlight Techniques
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:27:46 AM »
Quote from: cattleskinner
For a pistol...... but alot of the time, I hold it out over my shoulder(can't remember the name of that one).  I like the idea behind the second technique better, that way in case someone was wanting to shoot at the light, you're not right behind it.  
~~~Amos

Cattleskinner is correct when you are talking about two legged varmints. The current craze of handgun (or rifle/shotgun) mounted lights works very well on IPSC and other training ranges where there are no dirtbags to shoot first or back whichever the case may be.  I was a police firearms/survival trainer for years. People, dirtbags and LEOs, shoot at what they see especially in low light conditions. You shine a light on someone and they shoot back the bullets are coming at the light. Being directly behind the light isn't the smartest place to be in that scenario.

I always recommend holding the light out to one side at arms length. There are several other excellent options to what is currently being used for building or room searches. Because some techniques work well during IPSC or other training doesn't mean they work well for real. I quit shooting IPSC and recommending IPSC for LEOs because the gamesmanship requires you to do too many un-tactical things that can get you killed for real. Mounting a flashlight on your hand gun is one of them.

However, for legal night time hunting it is a very viable thing to do.

Larry Gibson

Offline corbanzo

Flashlight Techniques
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 01:22:59 PM »
I hope nobody shoots at the light :eek:   I camp all the time, and almost always have my headlamp on at night!!

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
Proper tactics deal with that problem.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 02:50:22 PM »
Get a side-button AA light, and you can both hold the light and work the switch with the thumb of the weak side hand, without hurting your 2 handed shooting at all.

A far more important issue is being able to check out something with the light, without also having to point a gun at it.  I use an ankle pouch to hold both the spare mag for my pocket pistol, and the flashlight.  Nobody needs to see either one, but they are always with me. A mounted light ruins the main attribute of the pistol, always being swiftly available.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline Savage

Flashlight Techniques
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 03:23:21 PM »
I have not found a traditional flashlight powerful enough to use as a tatical light. The tailcap switch is also a plus, as you don't have to find the side switch and position it in your hand to activate with the proper finger. A Lithium battery powered light with a zeon bulb is 10x brighter, has a tailcap switch, and can be had is the $20 range. Easy choice!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
Then you aint looke far or hard
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 04:15:10 PM »
and your idea of how far a light is of any real help, with a mere pistol, is way out of line with reality. Most shots miss the man at 7 yds, even in daylight, with the pistol, and most shots miss the chest at 10 ft. LOL. That's the reality of combat, in poor light, on movers, while taking incoming blows or bullets, with eyes dazzled by flashes and ears blown out by the blasts.   4 NYC cops fired 41 rds at Diallo, while NOT being shot at, at 5-15 ft, and got ONE good hit.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.