Author Topic: 2x7 scope  (Read 1045 times)

Offline BULLMASTIFF

• Trade Count: (0)
2x7 scope
« on: April 01, 2006, 08:28:46 AM »
I need a new scope.  I want a 2x7, because I like the smaller size and lower weight verses a 3x9, and I like the larger field of view at 2x.  I like the Leupold VXII and the Nikon Monarch.  What are other options.  No junk.  I'm not wealthy, but I don't like paying for things twice.  I now live in a small town near God's country where outdoor activities are endless, but the stores are limited.  There is a mom and pop gun shop, a walmart, and a bi-mart.  So I'm limited on what I can actually physically hold and look through.  I would appreciate comments on others like Bushnell and Burris or any others.  I desire ruggedness, dependability, and the ability to withstand harsh weather conditions.  Crystal clear glass is no good if it fogs up or can't hold a zero.  Thanks for your comments.  And Redhawk1, I already know what your answer will be. :grin:
Not as Lean,
or as Mean,
but still a Marine

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
2x7 scope
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 08:58:25 AM »
BULLMASTIFF, how did you guess.  :-D  :-D  Not much else to consider if you already know the answer to the question.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline killdeer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
2x7 scope
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 10:10:11 AM »
Ditto! For 2x7ish endeavors, the Leupie rates highest in my book.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
2x7 scope
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 12:16:55 PM »
I vote for these...

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2841
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2340
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2509

I much prefere the Leupolds with it's non-critical eye relief..but the Nikon and Weaver are good ones too..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
2x7 scope
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 04:23:07 PM »
Ditto Mac's suggestions and I'll add another to the list...

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3257

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
2x7 scope
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:58:02 AM »
If you hunt in adverse condtions, you should look long and hard at the Elite scopes.  The Rainguard can save the day.  I only wish they were as compact and light as the Leupy's.  WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline BULLMASTIFF

2x7 scope
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 07:50:55 AM »
The thing that concerns me about the Bushnell's is their lack of eye relief.  Three inches -  is that at 7x or 2x, or is it constant?  This scope is going on a Remington 760 that I had rechambered to 35 Whelen Imp.  If it was going on my 300 savage or 35 Rem, then maybe.  

And I just don't hunt in adverse conditions, I live in them.  People create products here (Pacific Northwest) that have become known as the best.  And that is because of the harsh weather.  Leupold, Warn (winches), Leatherman, Danner boots, and that is just a few companies that come off of the top of my head from the Portland area.  Went steelhead fishing last weekend, almost drowned it was raining so hard.  Temperature dropped, and it was snowing by the time I got back to my truck.  Oh how I love it here (note: I no longer live in the Portland area anymore).  :grin:

Not sure about the Weaver, it's stats aren't showing up.

I thought about the VXI, but for basically $45 more, you get a better scope in the Monarch.  The Monarch is basically a direct comparison to the VXII.

Are the Burris scopes OK, or crap.  To be honest, I don't know much about Burris, except that they now make some darned good rings(signature).  I grew up and have lived in Leupold land (Beaverton - where they are made) basically my whole life (except for college and the Corps and now)  I grew up thinking, and to some extent still do, true hunters had Leupold scopes, and guys that went hunting to get away for a while, used other scopes.  Is that a fair assumption...I don't know, it's just the way I see it.  I do like that Nikon scope though.  I do think Nikon's quality is up there with Leupold.  It appears they have the same warranty now.  Funny how everything gets compared to a Leupold.

Sorry if I'm rambling.  I do appreciate all your comments.  Please keep them up.  Thank you.
Not as Lean,
or as Mean,
but still a Marine

Offline mattinPA

2x7 scope
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:55:28 PM »
Hi
I have many diffrent kinds of scopes but I don't think any kind can stand up to what my Nikon did

2 years ago during deer season I was coming home after a long day of hunting and fell in the water after the bridge I was on broke. I hit the water pretty. The scope and the gun was underwater with me :)
That spring I took the gun and scope to the rang  thinking that the scope was no good. Boy was I wrong it was shooting just as good as before

I could not belive it

I had it on a 44mag CB and the scope was a 2x7

If I ever go on a big hunt My gun will have a nikon on it

matt
I grew up thinking, and to some extent still do, true hunters had Leupold scopes, and guys that went hunting to get away for a while, used other scopes

I guess your right I justed wanted to go swimming in 30degree weather with my new 44 :eek:
I always thought that the really good hunters did not use scopes at all :-D

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
2x7 scope
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 05:57:59 PM »
I have a Leupold 2x7 and its good, if money is a little tight might try and find a used one or maybe a used Redfield(good scope) :D

Offline nrb

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Two of my 3006s wear Bushnell Elites
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 01:35:31 AM »
I have been hunting with scoped 3006s for several decades and have used several brands of scopes. My top choice has evolved to the Bushnell Elite line. I have a 2x7 on a Rem 7400 and love it as a carry hunter. Eye relief has never been a problem, either for the jump shot or a slow aim.
best,          nrb