Author Topic: browning hi-power problem  (Read 380 times)

Offline 1marty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
browning hi-power problem
« on: April 02, 2006, 09:49:41 AM »
Recently my Browning 9mm has been giving me trouble. I've been shooting mostly Win fmj 115 grain but have had this problem with other manufacturer 115 gr. ammo. After firing 50 rounds or so the pistol will chamber a new round, the pistol will be cocked but the gun won't fire-the hammer will not go down when the trigger is pulled. When I rechamber the round the pistol will then fire. I've cleaned the gun thoroughly but it does it at least 4 times in firing 100 to 150 rounds. Does anyone know what could cause this problem?

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:37:40 AM »
Look and make sure that the hammer is lined up centered between the sides of the frame around it.  I had a revolver that would hit the sides, and slow it down, cause the same problem.  I just took some sandpaper and steel wool to it to fix the problem.  You can also make sure that the hammer spring is line up correctly,and is setting right.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Mainer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 11:14:21 AM »
The first thing I would do is buy some Gun Scrubber--the stuff in the spray gun.  I'd take the gun apart, probably take the grips off, and hose out the slide and the grip frame.  Do this in a well ventilated area.

Let things dry out, lubricate normally, reassemble, and test fire.  This will rule out accumulation of dirt as the problem.
NRA Life Member