Author Topic: The Tannenberg Gun  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Incitatus

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
The Tannenberg Gun
« on: April 03, 2006, 01:31:32 AM »
From what I can gather, the lively discussion concerning recreating this weapon jumped the rails a bit.  Usually, when threads jump the rails, I am at fault.   Happily, I was not part of this community then so I can appear pure on this issue.  While ballistics and levels of safety of of great interest to me, I seems that the basic design that was tested met basic safety parameters.  That said, let me identify what I would look for in obtaining a reproduction of this weapon.

1) That it is reasonably historically accurate in apperance.  As I recall the original was some sort of cast brass or bronze which while nice in a reproduction is not really necessary.  Machined steel is just fine.

Ulrich whoosieface has provided us with an example of what it should look like:

And it's dimensions:

A compromise on the funky powder chamber is quite acceptable to me.

2) That it is reasonably safe to shoot.  I can really see no way that this would become a preferred firearm.  I suspect that I would shoot it a couple of times for the heck of it but that it would be more on the order of an interesting model of an otherwise unattainable ancient firearm.

3) Price ... I would hope that getting a number of interesting parties together to make a purchase would result in a reasonable cost.  I am not sure of what that is just yet but am open.

So;  all that said, can we re-animate the discussion of making this cutting edge 14th c. weapon available once again?
NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
The Tannenberg Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 10:02:10 AM »
Having made a couple of these from both 1018 and 12L14 steels for the testing programs, I can say that they do take a while to machine on conventional milling machines, plus some lathe time to drill and ream.  Powder Keg has made several more and does solicit work of this nature.

It is my opinion that they would have to be made on CNC equipment to be economical as there is too much labor involved doing them manually.  Professional shop time is $60-80 an hour, but these could be made for a lot less than an hour's machine time on a CNC.

And you could have all three tapers different for no extra charge.

Another Tannenberg thread

Ulrich Bretscher's Black Powder Page
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
The Tannenberg Gun
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:03:47 PM »
Here is one very fine 50 cal Tannenberg created for me by one of our Sponsor’s, “Powder Keg”.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline claypipe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Http://www.handgonne.com
Re: The Tannenberg Gun
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:44:34 AM »
Quote from: Incitatus
Ulrich whoosieface

The gentleman's name is Ulrich Bretscher. He took the actual measurements from the Tannenburg gonne from which many here have used to reproduce said gonne. The man has paid his dues and deserves respect for it.

GGaskill crafted my Tannenburg, and it is a treasured part of my collection. You can see the results of my test, complete with photos and movies at http://www.handgonne.com click on TESTING THE TANNENBERG GONNE DESIGN.