Author Topic: Water Quench?  (Read 720 times)

Offline GypsmJim

• Trade Count: (0)
Water Quench?
« on: April 05, 2006, 11:51:29 AM »
Been reading some of the threads and saw several comments about quenching.  I have always dropped my bullets on a foam/cloth pad and air cooled.  What is the advantage of water quenching?

BTW, I used to use #2 alloy per the Lyman formula, but now have switched to 100% wheel weights, if that makes any difference...
Jim

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Water Quench?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:59:13 AM »
to me the only purpose is if you want to shoot ww material in a rifle in a handgun plain ww is fine and with wd ww you will experince alot more instances of penetration failure due to bullets fractureing as a matter of fact the only bullets ive ever seen fracture were wd bullets. Anohter thing ive never liked is that when water dropping its impossible to maintain an exact temp with ever bullet leaving the mold so hardness is going to vary. If you have to heat treat take the time to do it in the oven it wont do anything for the bullet failure but it will at least go along ways to consisntant bullets. if you have access to lyontpye or antimony thats a lot better way to harden bullets.
blue lives matter

Offline GypsmJim

Water Quench?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »
I only use lead bullets for punching paper, so I would guess that fracturing is not an issue.  I use the air cooled ones in rifles too, with good success, so I don't see the rifle vs. pistol as an issue either.
Jim

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Water Quench?
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 03:28:20 PM »
gyp water dropped wheel weights take a couple days to harden up to about 17/18 BHN.Lyman#2 can reach 28-30 bhn.Straight Linotype is around 20-22,WW's are about 9 and #2 is about 15 bhn.Water quenching is NOT the best method to heat treat your bullets. The best method is OVEN heat treating them. If they have a few % of arsenic in them your bullets can reach 35-39 bhn.This method makes them tough ,NOT brittle. A linotype bullet can and will shatter if you hit it with a large hammer! A correctly heat treated bullet will upset almost like a mushroom.  Go to castbullets.com and check it out there.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
Water Quench?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 02:04:57 AM »
Quote: BTW, I used to use #2 alloy per the Lyman formula, but now have switched to 100% wheel weights, if that makes any difference...

It will make a difference if you quench. Water quenching will work but heat treating with an oven at the correct temp. is a better way. For the home caster perhaps air cooled bullets from an alloy that gives you what you need is best. Just my two.
Joshua 1:9