Author Topic: best climbing stand?  (Read 706 times)

Offline horseman308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
best climbing stand?
« on: April 07, 2006, 10:23:58 AM »
What's y'alls recommendation for the best portable, climbing tree stand under $150?
You only take one shot at a time, so don't waste it :cb2:

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
best climbing stand?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 03:14:18 PM »
save your money and buy a summit

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
best climbing stand?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:28:06 PM »
i use and like API.  I don't have much experience with the others though.  I bought my API used for 75$ from a friend.[/code]

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
best climbing stand?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 05:50:43 PM »
That's pretty cheap for a climbing stand new, not a great range to select from if you limit it to under $150.

I'm firmly of the opinion there is no BEST stand and what's best for me might be WORST for you and vice versa. The recommendations I see from folks have confirmed this for me. I've seen many recommendations for stands I'd not take if free as the BEST. I've seen folks say what I felt was if not best was up there near the top for me they'd not take for free.

So it's really a matter of personal choice and no one but you can decide what's right for you. There are several factors that are important at least to me to consider.

1. Ease of carry thru the woods to your stand site.
2. Ease of climbing
3. Comfort in the tree
4. Quietness both in carry and in use

Look at each stand and think how it might be FOR YOU in each of those categories. Then make up your own mind because while we might tell you what we think is best once you get it you might think it was the worst possible choice for you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
best climbing stand?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 03:55:26 AM »
like was said,  save some more and either get a summit or a lone wolf.  i hunt with lone wolf stands.

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
best climbing stand?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 04:55:48 AM »
Like others have said, save your maney and buy a good quality stand like API, Summit, or Lone Wolf. This is a piece of equipment that will be suspending you 15 to 20 feet above the ground. This is your life your talking about. And never, I repeat never climd a tree without a safety harness. As soon as I get on my climber, I connect to the tree, and then I start climbing. And I do not disconnect from the tree until I am ready to get off the stand when I leave. One fall could end it all my friend. So get a good quality stand and a good quality safety harness, full body harness, and you will be set. :D
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline horseman308

• Avid Poster
best climbing stand?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 09:00:35 AM »
Thanks. Yeah, y'all are right. Shouldn't have put a price limit. I checked out some Summit's online. They look pretty good, but haven't seen them in person. I have checked out the Gorilla Greyback stands in person. They seem pretty nice. Anybody use or have experience with them?
You only take one shot at a time, so don't waste it :cb2:

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
best climbing stand?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 09:13:08 AM »
horeseman308,

I have heard people say that the Summit grips the tree very well. I have the API Grand Slam Legend and I love it. But if I get another one someday I will probably try a Summit just because of the tree gripping factor. My API grips well but I just want to try something different next time :lol:  I have never heard how the Gorilla grips, but I imagine it is right there with the Summit and API. My API is a sit and climb model too. I wouldn't have one any other way in my opinion. They are easier to climb for me. Good luck in your decision and remember to always wear a safety harness brother. Just looking out for ya is all. :D
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
best climbing stand?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:16:16 AM »
I have a summit viper extream it is about 5 years old and love it (during the warmer season) This stand is quiet and does grip well. However during the colder season when I have all my insulted stuff on I find it to be a  little tight so I am thinking about getting the Goliath top part for when the season gets colder ( this is the good thing about summit, you can buy each piece as you want or need) I also have an open shot top that was given to me for bow hunting. I also use this when ground hunting. I just find a tree to sit under and put it about 3 feet up from the ground and have a very nice seat.

I have has some issues with customer service they do stand behind the stuff they sell.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
best climbing stand?
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 03:50:08 AM »
I have a Summit Viper, and have had no problems.  I'm 250 lbs and scared of heights, but  I feel completly safe in it with my Hunter Safety System.

Offline flintlock

best climbing stand?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 09:05:59 AM »
I have 2 APIs...love them...they are very comfortable...and have 2 advantages that I have found...1) You can take the pins out and replace with long shank locks, to lock it to the tree and 2) You can add a padded shooting rail that is adjustable for range...