Author Topic: antelope in 2004  (Read 1195 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
antelope in 2004
« on: March 27, 2003, 06:08:15 AM »
i am plannig on hunting antelope for the first time down montana way. can anybody tell me what fees i would have to pay for tags and reccomend a good outfitter that isn't to hard on the pocketbook? also what is the best area to hunt, and what is the recomended rifle. all i have right now is an assortment of .303's
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
antelope in 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 12:43:07 PM »
kevin.303,

Go to the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks web site at http://www.fwp.state.mt.us/hunting/licensetable.asp and it will give you most of the information you want.  As far as caliber goes I would prefer something that shoots a little flatter than a .303 but it will do if that's all you have.  I personally use a .25-06 or a .257 Weatherby Magnum either loaded with 100 grain Nosler Partitions.  Good luck and keep us informed on how you do.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
antelope in 2004
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 11:29:58 AM »
kevin.303,

I am a resident of Montana and my advise is to put in for area 700, which comprises most of eastern MT.  There are 17,000 permits available and drawing success typically exceeds 90%.  There is no justification to the expense of hiring an outfitter as there is abundant state land as well as BLM.  Keep me posted and I will help with further input as requested.

Good luck,

tax

Offline kevin.303

antelope in 2004
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2003, 09:53:52 AM »
i assumed that the reg's where like here where a non-resident has to be with a licensed guide
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
antelope in 2004
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 12:06:46 PM »
Montana does NOT require a non-resident to hunt with guides nor residents.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I am tied up with business this time of year.

Dale

Offline kevin.303

antelope in 2004
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 05:54:45 AM »
thanks for the info. is there anyonehere that knows a good spot and would care to join me

Offline renegade

antelope in 2004
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 04:36:05 PM »
I'm going on my first pronghorn hunt this fall in Wyoming and I get the sense that if you do your homework a bit. Get good maps to keep you on BLM land and such you should be able to find a nice representative animal to shoot by spotting and stocking in likely areas. From what I've read in mag's and the feedback I get in these forums I gather that to truely find a trophy buck antelope you may have to hunt areas previouly restricted to hunting or hard to hunt areas that are landlocked and such or private little pressured areas where you will likely have to pay a tresspass fee or just be lucky. But I hope to find some nice ones. You should have good optics and be ready to crawl. That is what I'm picturing anyway before even enter the arena.......lol.......Rene

I would hunt with you but I'm not sure if I'll have the time or money.....good luck to you.....can you hunt deer while hunting speed goats in Montana? A combination hunt makes the long drive more worthwhile.......
Hunting , Fishing and Sledding...love em all

Offline HogFan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
antelope in 2004
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2003, 09:37:10 PM »
Kevin,

I hunted antelope for the first time last year, and was unable to fill my tag. Like said before, don't waste money on an outfitter, plenty of public land, and BMA area to hunt. I am going to miss the drawing this year, due to my deployment in support of OIF. i'm not in theather, but nearby, and our mission is strictly OIF. I can't wait to get home, good luck on your antelope hunt. If I'm still around MT next year, I may give you a holler and see about this hunt. Right now it looks as if Uncle Sam is going to make me PCS sooner than I wanted to. Oh well, that's life in the military, but I have some damn good hunting places I intend to come back and hunt at later.

HogFan