Author Topic: lube heaters?  (Read 629 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
lube heaters?
« on: April 07, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »
I have been thinking about getting a lube heater for my lyman 4500 sizer.
So tonight I took one of my 500 wat spot lights ( Fire department light not the harry home owner ones) and put it close the the sider and pluged it in. With in about 10 minutes the sizer was almost to hot to touch and my lyman super molly lube flowed very easy. This tells me I need to go ahead and buy one of the lube heaters  desinged for the 4500.
any one use one of these heaters?
how well do they work and how hot does the sizer get

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lyman 4500 heater
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 03:42:30 PM »
Have three of the 4500's and one heater.  The heater works just fine!

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
lube heaters?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »
I use the heater with my 4500 and the Orange Magic lube.  About 5 minutes and I am ready to size.  Gets warm but does not get hot to the touch.  

Steve   :D
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline HL

• Contributor
lube heaters?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:45:43 AM »
I've had a 450 for over 15 years now and the only thing I do, is just what you were doing, but only using a 40w bulb. The lube stays soft enough to lube all the bullets in that session. when I'm ready to use it later, I just place the bulb next to the sizer for 10-15 minutes and I'm off and going again.

I figure it will take a awful lot of bulbs to equal the cost of a sizer heater. Not that they are not great products. I just can not justify buying it to myself.

Good Shooting,

HL

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
reply to rickyp
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 04:51:15 AM »
Rickyp, I used the Lyman Moly lube for quite a while because it supposedly didn't need the heater.  I eventually bought the heater, and Wow, what a difference!  Works great, especially if you are working in a cool area, like an unheated basement.  By the way, I switched to LBT Blue Soft, and am thinking of getting a second sizer so I can keep the Lyman Moly in it as it seems better in a few of my applications.  It's good stuff!  Hope this helps.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
lube heaters?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 05:28:08 AM »
I have been using the light bulb a few times now and once it gets good and hot I found the lyman super molly works so much better, I just ordered 2 more tubes of the super molly from midway usa.
The only trouble I have had is I blew a light bulb out when I had to jerk the sizer handle hard and it shook the little bench.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
lube heaters?
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 04:59:53 PM »
With my 450 sizer I use an clothes iron. I cut a piece of sgeet metal to fit under the sizer and enough sticking out above it to set the iron on. Got the iron at a swap store for 3 bucks. It keep the lube warm enough this past winter for a lot of lubing and sizing.

Gun Runner

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
lube heaters?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 10:59:33 PM »
midway sells a heated base that works with the lymans or the star pretty resonably.
blue lives matter