Author Topic: Recoil.  (Read 579 times)

Offline SAWgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Recoil.
« on: April 08, 2006, 04:44:53 AM »
On December 9, 2005, CNN covered an interview of a US Special Forces soldier, a member of an elite sniper team. A Reuters reporter trying to milk the interview for all it was worth asked the young soldier, in a less than respectful tone, and in an effort to make him feel guilty, "What do you feel, if anything, when you shoot an Al Quaeda freedom fighter from such a long distance?" The young soldier shrugged his shoulders and replied. "RECOIL" & turned and walked away.

I received this from an Army buddy of mine, but I don't think it happened, but it is still a good one. :-D  :)
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Questor

Recoil.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 04:59:42 AM »
I don't think it's true either. I don't think I'd feel the recoil, but would feel a sense of satisfaction if it was a good shot.

It's probably one of those "if it isn't true, it ought to be" things. So let's just consider it true and tell of it that way.
Safety first

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Recoil.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 05:02:34 AM »
Quote from: Questor
I don't think it's true either. I don't think I'd feel the recoil, but would feel a sense of satisfaction if it was a good shot.

It's probably one of those "if it isn't true, it ought to be" things. So let's just consider it true and tell of it that way.

Roger.  Then it's true.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Recoil.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 09:29:52 AM »
This has pretty much been a standard answer when people ask returning troops what they feel when they shoot someone.  It usually ends the nonsense questions.  Seems like I first heard it during Viet Nam.

During our de-briefing from the first gulf war they jokingly told us to say that if we did not want to talk about it to the public.  Since no one in our group had shot anyone during our tour they did not elaborate on the shbject.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline RaySendero

Recoil.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 03:05:46 PM »
:cry:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/recoil.asp

Snopes says false - They could not verify any of the interview.

:cry:
    Ray

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Recoil.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 02:52:42 AM »
Never been in combat or even in the service, but I don't remember sensing any recoil when I shot living targets... too focused, I guess. Not much report either, come to think of it. I remember reading somewhere about this being the usual  phenomenon a shooter experiences, something involving adrenaline analgesia.

BUT it is a damned good rejoinder! :)
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!