Author Topic: 1" cannon pics  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
1" cannon pics
« on: April 08, 2006, 09:24:56 PM »
This is a cool forum (just recently found it).

Here's a cannon I made about 10 years ago. All 304 stainless steel with an oak carriage. I know some may cringe at the Parrott rifle bbl style combined with a naval carriage, but I thought it looked neat at the time I made it. I also made a .975" ball mould and tooling to make paper cartriges for it. I've shot it quite a bit. Lots of fun!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
1" cannon pics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 10:25:55 PM »
Some clever approches to making the gun.

Tell us about the tunnion setup?

Hey Kap isn't there a Parrot rifle on the stern of the Contstellation mounted on a navel gun carriage? Or is it in a pivot mount?

Welcome to the board by the way. You will find all kinds of cannon people here. We have folks who shoot the originals and a lot who shoot the scale guns and more who shoot the little tiny ones.

Some of us here build our own, others don't and just buy and get into shooting.  I think we even  have some folks who just enjoy watching.

We limit the guns here to those that appear to the moderators to meet the decription of the Antique cannons as defined the gun control act of 68.  We preach safety and safe cannon shooting.

I think you will feel at home here.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
1" cannon pics
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 11:30:01 PM »
Thanks, DD...

The trunnion pins are threaded into the collar (Hexagonal thingie), which is welded to the bbl. The supports are blocks of stainless steel (304) that are fitted to the carriage and held in place via bolts into brass threaded inserts.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
1" cannon pics
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »
Tell us about tube construction.

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
1" cannon pics
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 02:13:04 AM »
DD,

I don't recall there being a parrot on there but won't say that one isn't.

I have pictures of a parrot, many parrots on Civil War era boats and ships inthe book "Artillery and Ammunition of The Civil War" by Warren Ripley.

That is an excellent resource of cannon material and pictures.

I do remember a picture of a Parrot on the bow of the of the tug Teaser.
That gun was built with a ring instead of trunnions like a Dalhgren Howitzer.

The brown water Navy's of the era utalized whatever they could get.

Victor.. 304 stainless is a difficult material to work and I can appreciate the hours, and burned up tools created.

Good job,

kap

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
Tube
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 09:43:22 AM »
The tube is several pieces. There is a threaded and welded plug in the breech end of the bore. The breech/cascabel part is heat-shrunk on with a .003" interference fit, and welded at the front around the diameter. Wall thickness at chamber is 3/4", and chamber is 3x as long as my charge. The main tube is tapered along it's entire length (That's why the wall thickness looks a bit thin at the muzzle - It's only 3/16" at this point). The block that the trunnions thread into is also a separate piece, welded around the diameter front and back, and also plug welded in three places (probably overkill).

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Little Guy

• Trade Count: (0)
1" cannon pics
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 09:14:41 AM »
Victor3:
First off, I like the looks of your Parrott rifle. :eek:   It looks very simple and sleek (mabe not so easy to build though).
Is the bore 1"?  If so, the pictures make it look larger than it realy is.

You wouldn't happen to have a set of plans you would care to shair with me?  If not, could i get you to take some measurements for me?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
1" cannon pics
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 11:16:36 AM »
Actually I believe there were 2 Parrots and the rest were 3" ordinance rifles mounted in naval carriages on board the constellation.
Currently there are no guns on board and they are trying to raise money for a re-fit. I would love to see it after it happens., this ships deserves more attention. Smaller than the "Con" it was still a formidable ship and a real piece of work.

I dont think there is anything strange  about your carriage .  My self I have 2 hern ordinance rifles.,  which will be mounted in naval carriages., for my sea wall.  the only thing I own are naval carriages ., its all that will work for my application.

Good Job Man !  :grin:

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
1" cannon pics
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 01:45:08 AM »
Quote from: Little Guy
Victor3:
First off, I like the looks of your Parrott rifle. :eek:   It looks very simple and sleek (mabe not so easy to build though).
Is the bore 1"?  If so, the pictures make it look larger than it realy is.

You wouldn't happen to have a set of plans you would care to shair with me?  If not, could i get you to take some measurements for me?

Little Guy:

Sorry, I don't have any plans for this cannon. I made it "on the fly", designing it as I went along with only rough pencil drawings which are long gone now.

Yes, the bore is 1". You may be able to get the scale from the pictures and go from there - The cannon isn't handy for me to take measurements.

This barrel wasn't as easy to make as most and I wouldn't recommend making one like it unless you have access to a fairly well equipped machine shop and TIG welder (And a lot of time). A one piece tube is much easier to make.

I have a couple of blank (No bore) lathe-turned steel (Not stainless) Parrott barrels. They are 12" long, 1.68" diameter at the chamber area and 1.12" at the muzzle...

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Kansas Boomer

1" cannon pics
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
Little guy, here is a picture of my 1" parrott rifle. Sorry, I don't have any drawings. Was fairly easy to build, mostly different diameter DOM tubing. Is quite loud with 400gr of ff Goex.  Boomer
Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline kappullen

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Consetllation
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 06:06:55 PM »
Tropico,

I haven't been on the Constellation in about 12 years.
I do remember this little caronade on the top deck.

The parrots and rifles were a little late for the ship as built, but may have been fitted for the Civil War.

Kap

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
1" cannon pics
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 07:17:42 PM »
Here is a link to http://www.constellation.org/ The Constellation
This is not the 1797 super frigate I believe it was gone long ago., this is the smaller Constellation built in 1854 which did see usage in the civil war., I believe it was the last sailing vessle built by our navy. For anyone interested., this is a good read with good links.  May she be preserved for many many more years to come.

Offline freddo

1'' cannon
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 12:44:29 AM »
I have a book of Mathew Brady photographs.As you know Brady was very active during your civil war.One of the photographs is a portrait of a very young sailor standing in front of a very large ships cannon.There is no caption to name the ship.
The cannon is a parrot at a guess I would say 10''-12'' calibre [I cant see the muzzle] The carriage is a typical wooden naval carriage with two wheels at the front only.The rear is resting on the deck.Elevation was by  a metal screw rather than a coin every thing else is pretty standard,breeching cable,running out ropes etc.So big Parrots were definitely mounted on naval carriages.

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
1" cannon pics
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 08:46:07 AM »
One of the suppliers listed on the where to find sticky, Missouri Cannon Works, offers a modified Parrot gun (with 1" bore) on a naval carriage. In their description they state that "The Parrot Gun was originally built for Field or Naval use, the difference was the cascable was machined or modified to accept the recoil rope."

You can view that cannon at:  
http://www.missouricannonworks.com/price_list.htm