Author Topic: How do you hide them?  (Read 3698 times)

Offline fknipfer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
How do you hide them?
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »
Kansas now has CCW law and now everyone who can qualify can carry concealed.  I have been practicing concealing big guns and small guns.
Browning BDA 45 (Sig P220), Ruger Service Six 357Mag, Sig P230 .380 and Colt Junior .25cal.  
The Colt no problem, the P230 small conceal problem, the 357mag and .45cal no way you could hide them on your body in the summertime.
How do you effectively hide big guns in the summertime?  If not do you carry smaller guns in the summer and big ones in the winter when jackets are the norm.
I think I have hit all the frame sizes, so any advice will be helpful.

fknipfer
Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
How do you hide them?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
I carry a Kahr P9 covert year round. I can conceal it easily in an inside wasteband holster even with light docker shorts or similar. I see no reason to change guns. If you have never carried before you will probably find that its not all that easy to haul around a gun all day, every day, comfortably. With the P9 its not a problem at all. Weight is a big issue when it comes to carrying all day.    KN

Offline Dusty Miller

How do you hide them?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 10:55:34 PM »
You might want to consider a "fanny pack" carried in the front.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline williamlayton

How do you hide them?
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:19:04 AM »
There are some things to consider "first" before one considers method.
If you carry you must be able to obtain quickly, safely and easily.
It matters not how you conceal, it is how you can conceal and meet these criteria.
Much has too do with body shape.
Much has to do with daily dress habit.
Weather conditions are a consideration.
The interprtation of local law towards "concealed" is very important. In Texas, concealed is carried to the extreme (by law) and printing is defined as brandishing and therefore; a BIG--NO NO. Your state may differ.
Meeting these criteria-the rest is personal prefrence. Saying this, experimentation, in public, is not to be advised.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jimster

How do you hide them?
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 05:38:06 AM »
What  williamlayton said...all good stuff, and know the laws.
In Michigan "printing" doesn't matter, you can have a big bulge, brandishing is the actual sight of the gun. So know what you can get cited for.
I can carry a full sized 1911 pistol in comort, but use a good inside the wastband holster, if it's summer time a light vest, or a long tailed untucked short sleeved light weight shirt is all I need.  The quality of the holster and belt is very important.
And as williamlayton states in his post..."must be able to obtain quickly, safely and easily"....
and practice like crazy with which ever method/holster you use.

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
How do you hide them?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 05:46:17 AM »
I personally carry a Glock 22 in the small of my back.  Since I am a big guy, my chest and back muscles make it easy to do so in baggy clothing.  I am still young, so I can get away with wearing slightly baggy shirts untucked.  I find it helpful also the wear a t-shirt under my regular shirt.  Wyoming has really lax carry laws...to the point that they allow true open carry, but my weapon dosen't print at all.

My personal opinion is that fanny packs scream "I have a gun", as they are not fashionable, and people that wear them do so for a reason.  In today's society, I believe that most casual situations warrant a slightly longer shirt worn untucked.  If you buy one of the holsters that lay the weapon horizontally with the grip up in the small of the back, you can get away with alot.

I have put alot of thought into this, and what the current trends are.  You draw alot of attention to yourself if you are under 50-60 years old and have on a vest, or a fanny pack.  Inside the waist band holster do alot also...but I believe that if you tuck your shirt in, you are severely handicapping yourself.

If you doubt me, ask your wife or another fashion minded female what you would look like with a fanny pack or a vest or similar items.  They will tell you that you stick out like a sore thumb (My wife told me personally that I looked like a dork....hah hah hah...she is not one to mince words.).    To anyone that would have reason to care that you were armed, this          would raise a flag.

Just my honest opinion.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline S.S.

How do you hide them?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 07:46:05 AM »
My wife went a little beyond "Dork"...
She calls Fanny packs "Guy Purses" and has something
else to say about men who use them. So needless to say,
I don't have one. I carry various Handguns and normally do not
have any problem concealing which ever one I am carrying at the
time. Small of the back in an inside the waist holster is my mode of carry.
Check your local laws because the ATFE told me that some states
allow Belt line and shoulder holster carry only, No ankle?
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline NYH1

How do you hide them?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:04:46 AM »
Quote from: SAWgunner
(My wife told me personally that I looked like a dork....hah hah hah...she is not one to mince words.).

SAW
Dem's fightin words!  :toast:  :gulp:

I carry either a G22 or G27. In the warmer weather I carry the G27 usually in a nylon inside the pants holster. I'll wear a tucked in tee shirt so the holster and gun isn't against my skin. Then a un tucked tee shirt or another type of shirt over that. As long as the tee shirts are light wight it's not to bad even when it's 90 degrees out.

I usually carry the G22 when concealment isn't an issue, or when I'm gonna have on clothes that will conceal it with out any problems, sweat shirt, coat something like that.

In New York we must conceal at all times. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for brandishing unless they actually pulled their gun out, and that's a HUGE no no! The thing with NY state is that our carry laws are so old (we've always had concealed carry) that most cops (and other people) don't know a lot about the laws believe it or not. When some LEO's come across someone with a carry permit and a pistol it's kinda like the "deer in the headlight" look. You'll have to figure out the exact laws in Kansas so you don't get jammed up! Good luck!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline NYH1

How do you hide them?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 08:12:23 AM »
Quote from: S.Sumner
My wife went a little beyond "Dork"...
She calls Fanny packs "Guy Purses" and has something
else to say about men who use them. So needless to say,
I don't have one.
My wife us to make fun of me once in a while..........that all stopped when she was car jacked (didn't get hurt but scared to death)!!!  Now if I could carry a 155 Howitzer she'd be all for it!!!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline jayc

How do you hide them?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 11:51:58 AM »
Just to be clear on Texas law as taken from the Texas Department of Public Safety Web site. (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/ls-16.pdf) Emphasis added

GOVERNMENT CODE
GC CH. 411. DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY OF THE STATE
OF TEXAS
Subch. H. LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN
GC ยง411.171. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "Action" means single action, revolver, or semi-automatic
action.
(2) "Chemically dependent person" means a person who
frequently or repeatedly becomes intoxicated by excessive indulgence
in alcohol or uses controlled substances or dangerous drugs so as to
acquire a fixed habit and an involuntary tendency to become intoxicated
or use those substances as often as the opportunity is
presented.
(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of
which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable
person.

Offline flash-in-the-pan

How do you hide them?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 04:30:05 PM »
For me, just about every question in life comes to :"What do you want, and what are you willing to pay (give up) to obtain it?"  Same goes for concealed carry.  

I most especially favor the Kel-Tec P11,  second choice is a Charter Arms Undercover in  38SPL. in a non-descript IWB suede leather holster .

The law (about "printing"/concealment) was already discussed. Your personal dress style,, your own preferences in weight and caliber, your own body-style, the available arms and your preference/proficiency, weather. These  considerations all may influence not only HOW you carry, but WHAT you carry as well.

I am over 55, with a bit of a paunch, so inside the belt,  the Kel-Tec on the factory clip works just fine.  Slightly behind right hip. It kind of squishes into my side, under the tail of a loose shirt if summer, or a sweater or jacket or parka as the weather goes cooler.  Even when going in suit-and-tie, it hides quite well in that position (bigger guns do not huide so well for me in suit-n-tie). Spare mag in left pants pocket or holder inside belt on left side.

Experiments in alternative arms have been J-frame S&W .38SPL,  S&W #39 9mm,  Star Model BM in 9mm, a FEG copy of the Browning Hi=Power, or 1911; all in virtually the same way. All holsters used were IWB and provided about the same angle and position. The carry-mode and presentation and reloading  did not vary that much..

There also was an experimente with the Bianchi "Federal Man" holster for the 1911, which held it outside the belt, high, with a forward cant, and thumb-break retention.  It was useable for me ONLY if I were wearing a really voluminous parka or field-jacket.  It gave a whole new definition to "PRINT". when I was younnger and thinner.

The comments about the fanny pack and the "persons" who carry them seem just about in the  X-ring.   I guess context meas something, however.  If you are at the beach in nothing but your zorries and Speedo, a fany pack might be less obtrusive.

I have carried in my camera bag ( a good-sized shoulder-bag for a 35mm SLR with three or four lenses and a 2-1/2" S&W Mod 19 under the floor-boards) but I usually had the camera slung around my neck most of the time.  I cannot say I was comfortable with the gun off my body, in a location and presentation that changed by the second.   There are people who do carry in their day-planner or breif-case, but it is not for me, thank you.  But if that is the only possible way,???

Practice, practice, practice.   They say that when the chips are down, you  will perform as you practice, and there are schools of thought on that, too.  "Concentrate on one gun, and use that one all the time" vs. "Practice with and rotate your carry to include the three or four possible guns that you might happen to be carrying, so you have familiarity and habit for each one".

I just concentrate on the P-11 and the J-frame. They will  likely be what I carry 99.9%.

Flash-in-the-pan
Hath God obliged himself not to exceed the bounds of our knowledge?
Michel de Montaigne   1533-1592

Offline PaulS

How do you hide them?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »
I carry an old Ruger Security-Six in a strong side pancake holster that I made. It rides high enough to hide under a short wind-breaker and low enough to draw easily. I also have a shoulder rig for it but the darn thing hurts my back. Those are the two ways to carry my 357 concealed. I can also carry my 3 1/2 inch 45 derringer in a coat pocket or the little holster that I made for it - but one shot between loading does not make me feel secure.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Greysky

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
How do you hide them?
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 11:24:09 AM »
When carrying one of my 6" Security-Six .357 Magnum revolvers in cooler weather, I use a vertical shoulder holster concealed under a loose sweater, or windbreaker.

In warmer weather I used to carry an SP-101 in a fanny pack designed for the purpose of full concealment. Now I carry a Taurus 24/7 9mm pistol in a fanny pack.

I've been wearing a fanny pack for years and never heard one negative comment about it. I can't stand carrying anything in my pants pockets. I also have to carry asthma and stomach medicine with me. And even though some people might suspect I'm carrying a gun, they really don't know I am for certain; as if it's any of their business to begin with.

Even though there is no concealed carry clause in the State of Indiana, I think it is wise to always carry concealed. I wouldn't want to cause some nice, politically correct soccer mom the expense of having to visit her psychoanalyst for stress because she happened to see "one of those evil gun things" on my frightfully masculine body.  :roll:
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Re: How do you hide them?
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 04:56:30 PM »
Quote from: fknipfer
If not do you carry smaller guns in the summer and big ones in the winter when jackets are the norm.
Speaking for myself, it's larger guns and larger caliber gun during the colder months and smaller guns and smaller caliber guns during the warmer months ...

The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Myerslake2005

• Avid Poster
How do you hide them?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 03:01:32 PM »
I'm looking at the holster from smartcarry.com.  The developer out of Florida wears a full sized 1911.  A friend of mine has it and likes it.  There is a similar holster out there by thunderwear.com as well.

Offline fknipfer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
How do you hide them?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 06:14:13 PM »
I think I will start off with a SP101 357Mag 3" barrel in the spring, winter and fall.  Summertime will have to be a P230 .380 that won't be so hard to conceal.  The 357 with 125gr bullets is the number one stopper of all time.  The .380 will only stop someone 69% of the time so you had better think hard about the situation.  The European style of conceal carrier is to have a .32 or .380 and shoot 6 or 7 times in the main torso of the body.  What this does is to cause massive bleeding.
With a coat or jacket a SP101 won't be hard to carry and conceal just has to be available.  Fanny pack may be the way I go on the .380.
Thank you guys for all your suggestions and ideas.

fknipfer
Kansas Rifle Association
NRA Life Member
I am not a gun collector, I am an accumulator
US Army Veteran

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
How do you hide them?
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 07:34:04 AM »
Given that "current fashions" allow pretty much anything, I'm leaning more towards a small auto in my right front pocket.  Even a small revolver is fairly well concealed with the right holster, and pocket carry also means you don't have to wear a vest of you're on the "round" side of things.  And a P3AT in the pocket is better than ANYTHING you had to leave at home!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline lefthanded

How do you hide them?
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
Kahr PM9 every day in my front pants pocket (pocket holster of course).  I really like the pistol.

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
Kahr PM9, or new single stack Keltec 9, front pants pocket
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 08:02:05 PM »
holster works fine, any time, any weather. Put it in a coat pocket for bad weather, that's where your hands will be, anyway, eh? Use a velcro tab on the kydex rig, and in pockets, so you can position the rig as you want, and it won't be "drawn" along with the gun.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
How do you hide them?
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
Quote from: papajohn428
a P3AT in the pocket is better than ANYTHING you had to leave at home!
My P3AT would not chamber a round by itself. Even after a trip to the factory I had to rack and jiggle the slide in order to chamber a round no matter what type of ammo I used.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline williamlayton

How do you hide them?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 12:21:14 AM »
Just from observations, the most concealable is either in the pocket or SOB. They are about the worse positions to retrieve.
It is not a perfect world and I have opted for having one with me and counting on not having to fast draw anyone. I would think, under these/this situation I would have little chance against any.
I think carrying concealed is the first choice and retrieve is the second.
I like my scabbards but with my usual dress mode I am not comfortable with the ability to conceal.
I have observed police officers and have found it quiet easy to discern the position of their weapon even when dressed plain cloths.
It may just be my disposition though as I am generally fairly observant.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline slink

• Avid Poster
So? Yours is not the ONLY P3AT made
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 08:37:37 AM »
and keltec is not the ONLY maker of pocket autos, either.  Your ONE bad experience doesn't mean a thing.

Hand ON gun (still in pocket rig) is THE fastest ccw draw possible. It's almost TWICE as fast as any other ccw rig-draw.  I've never seen anyone beat my .75 second to react, draw from under a hung out T shirt, and hit chest at arm's length (average of 5 tries, starting hands at sides) real concealment.  My reaction time runs about .20 second, so the ccw belt draw and hit MOVE is .55 second.

From the pocket, my time for the above , starting hand on gun, is .60 second. The reaction time is the same, of course, so the MOVE takes .40 second.  Most people's ccw belt draw and hit is nearly twice as slow as mine, but it's very easy to have a pocket draw (starting hand on gun, in a decent pocket rig) nearly as fast as mine.
Deactivated 04-22-06 for rules violations after repeated warnings.

Offline CharlieinKansas

How do you hide them?
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 02:33:27 AM »
Hello fellow "DERBYIAN", I will be carrying my SP101 2 1/4" .357 in a BIANCHI Shadow II (pancake) under polo shirts with tail out. The shadow is a high ride strong side with a crossdraw option and fits snug against the body for little or no "printing". I was out at the new "SPORTSMAN'S WORLD" store and saw that they carry a good choice of BIANCHI's and other brands of holsters. Also thier belts don't cost a fortune.
Beware of the man whom owns but one rifle, He more than likely knows how to use it.

Offline duke21

How do you hide them?
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 01:52:56 PM »
:D

guys , some of us are rather new at concealed carry, and we have a lot of questions.   But some photos of what you have or do to conceal would be a lot of help to other people besides myself i am sure.   I am not asking for underwear shots or nudies.    But give us newbies some ideas so that we dont all keep making  the same mistakes over and over.   the only people that benefit from that are the gun and holster manufacturers and sellers.    Due to work situations,  i feel the need to carry all day long,  yet cant have that big 1911 hung on my side  , there is just no way.

so if anyone has some realistic ideas , prefereably with pics i would really appreciate your efforts

d

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
How do you hide them?
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »
Big guns in the cooler months and little guns in the summer :wink:
(Colt officer 45acp,Sig 225 9mm, S&W 49 38spl, Berretta 950 25acp.)

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
How do you hide them?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 04:20:58 AM »
I hate to say it, but it's a very personal thing.  What works for one person is wrong for the next.  It's a matter of trying EVERYTHING, and seeing what works for you.  I've taken to wearing a 5.11 tactical vest a lot, even in hot weather, becuause it's worth it.  I could hide a bazooka with that thing on, so a smallish gun is no problem, and I don't worry about it printing.  When I can't wear the vest, I go to smaller guns, and pocket carry, or IWB if I can get away with it.  Only the biggest folks can get away with the IWB setup (inside the waistband) with shorts and a t-shirt.  I'm smaller and kinda round these days, so I can't do that, except with the smaller guns, and even then, it's kinda iffy.  Everything is a compromise, and trial-and-error is the best way to find out.  But remember this.......bigger barrels are not hard to conceal, big BUTTS are.  There's no getting around that.  Dress accordingly, and realize that whatever you are carrying, it takes some time to adapt to it, and adjust to it.  I've done it so long the only time I'm uncomfortable is when I'm NOT packing, because I feel so naked.  But it took me twenty years to get to that point!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
pocket
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 12:09:30 PM »
Walthers PPK 380, Levi's 501 jeans, right front pocket.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline williamlayton

How do you hide them?
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 01:13:22 AM »
Been doing that for 40 years Cheese---even when Jeans were skin tight. Yup  :wink:
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Griz

How do you hide them?
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 07:28:32 PM »
:cb2: Been carrying a Glock 21 almost every day since '93. In the summer time I carry it in a fanny pack. I've worn out three fanny packs so far. I suggest one with a zipper rather than velcro. The zipper operates smoothly and with little noise. There is NO WAY to open anything with a velcro closure discreetly.

Sometimes in the summer I may wear a 2.5" M19 in an Uncle Mikes pancake holster with my T-shirt out. This holster holds it tight up against the body, and at 6'1", 235 lbs it isn't noticeable.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline inluvwithsara

• Avid Poster
Re: How do you hide them?
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2006, 09:16:44 AM »
I am a vest guy...5.11 is a real beaut...I often carry my sigpro or 686 or super blackhawk under it...that and I have a real nice biker vest with built in holseters for my s&w 36...or my fathers g26...fanny packs are what I use mountain bikeing...then it is not a f@g bag as the wife calls it...its normal...but carrying a full sized auto or revolver with a vest is real nice...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.