Author Topic: 45 schofeild work in ?  (Read 338 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
45 schofeild work in ?
« on: April 12, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »
:D hey whats up guys my buddy called me today asked me ? he got a box of 45 schofeild shells from some guy his brother has a 45 long colt pistol he said the shells look to be the same but shorter like the 44 mag and the 44 special can these shells be used in the 45long colt i told him i would check around  i dont think they will work but not sure better safe than sorry so if any one could help me help my buddy out i would appericate it  :? thanks alot guys :D                                                                                                                                                                                                                     :D hey guys whats up tonight thanks for info will tell buddy to give it a try thanks again :D             HEY NOT TO SURE HOW TO DELETE BUT THANKS FOR ANWSERES GUYS LATER

Offline rvtrav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45 schofeild work in ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »
b44mag,

I hate to be the one that sticks his neck out, but yes, if they are a standard loading, the .45 scofield is just a shorter case than the .45 colt, and will work fine. Just like the .38 special in .357 magnum, and .44 special in the .44 magnum.

The loadings are closer in preformance to each other than the references that I just alluded to, but the basics are that the scofield will function in the colt. Also the colt WILL NOT function in scofield chambered weapons because of the longer case length of the colt cartridge.

From referances in books that I have read, the .45 scofield ammuntion was the common round issued to army and cavalry units when these guns were the standard weaponry of the day because both Colt and Smith and Wesson revolvers could use the shorter cartridges whereas the .45 colt only funtioned in the Colts.

Rvtrav

Offline PaulS

45 schofeild work in ?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »
The 45 S&W Schofield case is .005" smaller diameter and the rim is .008 " larger but it will shoot just fine in the 45 Colt chamber. Most data in modern manuals is loaded to the Colt pressures which is a bit higher than the original but in todays revolvers is well within tollerance.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Avid Poster
45 schofeild work in ?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:04:43 AM »
Be aware that some .45 Colt Single Actions will not accept the .45 Schoefield into the chamber round because of the larger rim. The rim hits the star at the rear of the cylinder.

I have three Ruger Vaqueros in .45 and two of them work fine with the Schoefield and one will not.