Author Topic: Nose first versus base first sizing  (Read 617 times)

Offline Turk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Nose first versus base first sizing
« on: April 15, 2006, 04:14:05 AM »
I have a RCBS lube/sizer (base first) and a Star Lubricator and Resizer (nose first) by Magma Engineering Company.  I haven’t used the RCBS since getting the Star about 6 years ago.

Has anyone ever compared groups from both types of sizing from a fixed rest such as a Ransom or Caldwell HAMMR Machine Pistol Rest ?  I know what everyone says it’s so but I have a saying “In God we trust all others bring data” anyone have any hard data?

Just shooting off sand bags I can’t see a much if any difference firing a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt.

I was going to purchase a fixed rest this summer and shoot different calibers but alas TIME.  I always thought as I got older I’d have more time but too many irons in the fire now.

Thanks,

Turk

Remember to pray for our troops.
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 03:15:18 AM »
Well, not exactly, but close.   I have a couple of original Stars, and I have some of the original Star base first punches as well as the Magma nose first punches.  

When I first started casting a few years ago, I cast four different types of 45 ACP bullets.  Some designs I sized base first because I had a punch to fit the nose of the bullet, and others I sized nose first becuase I didn't have a punch to fit the nose.    I Ransom Rest tested them all, and with each design I was able to get a 1" group at 25 yards out of my Kimber Gold Match, but off course, each bullet design required a different powder load to get the best group size.

Short answer, nose first/base first,  don't think it makes a difference as long as your bullet is hard enough so that you don't deform the base when you do nose first sizing.    I do all nose first sizing now.

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 05:58:19 AM »
rbwillnj said: Short answer, nose first/base first, don't think it makes a difference as long as your bullet is hard enough so that you don't deform the base when you do nose first sizing. I do all nose first sizing now.

Creeker says ME ALSO.
Joshua 1:9

Offline curator

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
Most lubrisizers work base first. Assuming your top punch is precisely centered you will size concentricly. However, top punches are rarely precisely centered meaning your bullets are sized a little more on one side than the other, or tipped slightly. This is not condusive to the very best accuracy. No matter how hard your slugs are it is usually a good idea to size them nose first with a flat nose punch and no lube then replace the top punch and size/lube/seat the gas check. Rifle bullets will show real accuracy improvement done this way. Pistol and revolvers slugs usually don't since they are shot at close range, are short compared to their diameter, and have many other variables at work. I prefer to shoot my rifle bullets as cast using the lubrisizer to seat the gas check and lube the bullet but not reduce the diameter. This works best for almost all my cast bullet rifles. If you must size, do it concentric!