Author Topic: .38 Special for Self Defense  (Read 3934 times)

Offline cdknox

• Trade Count: (0)
.38 Special for Self Defense
« on: April 15, 2006, 08:22:43 AM »
How does the .38 rate in terms of effectiveness for self defense. I'm thinking of trading the semi-auto in on a good revolver. I may get a .357 but how would a .38 rate. I know the .357 is heads and shoulders above but I haven't found one in my price range yet. But I did find a really nice used ruger sp101 in .38 special.

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 04:30:59 PM »
The Ruger SP101 should serve you well ( I would use Rem 158gr SWCLHP.) :D

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »
:D Smith and Wesson model 60-9.  and go for the .357 for personal protection.  A .38 is ok, but I just don't have any respect for them when my bunns are on the line.  I go smaller on occassion, when clothing or weather make it necessary.  But my normal carry is a Sig 220. :wink:

Offline PaulS

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 07:09:12 PM »
You can put as much power in a good 38 spl as you can in any 9 mm.
If you look at the ballistics and compare the two the 9 mm and the 38 spl are the same when you compare +p rounds in the 38 with standard 9 mm loads. 9 mm 147 @1001 38Spl +p 146@1004 (looks the same to me)
Both aren't worth using in my book - a 357 magnum costs no more than a 38 and delivers twice the power. 357 140 @1400

but they make all those calibers because we don't all agree on what is best
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »
What Paul sed.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline hogship

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 11:43:23 PM »
How does the .38spl rate, when compared to the 357mag for purposes of self defense against humans?

This is like comparing a .243Rem against a .270Win for purposes of putting down a Mule deer. Both will do the job. It all depends on how close to the kill zone one puts the bullet.

Me, I have no problems choosing the 38spl for this specific purpose. Will the .357mag do  better? Well, yes it will.....but, this is not to neglect the
ultimate purpose, not what will accomplish that purpose with the facts not as best as can be.

Don't compare the .357mag against the .38spl. Consider only whether the .38spl will do the job without unreasonable consequences.

It will, and does.

hog
Great, great, great, great, great grandson of a Revolutionary War Veteran.

--> Bill of RIGHTS, not bill of NEEDS <--

Visit my photo album, Vietnam 1968-69 at: http://www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 07:20:03 AM »
The best gun is what you can shoot the best, under pressure, quickly.  I carry a 357 off duty, but am limited to a 38 ON duty.  Go figure.  For simplicity, I carry 38+P Gold Dots in both, the Short Barrel Variety.  The 357 hits harder, and does more damage, but personally, I don't shoot it all that well in small, light guns.  But since I train weekly with my 38's, I have complete confidence in them.  Being able to draw from concealment quickly is a bigger challenge to me than putting the bullet where it belongs.  And if you can't put the bullet where you want it, quickly, on demand, the caliber is totally moot!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 09:49:41 PM »
:cb2: The SP101 is a fine little gun. (My wife carries one and loves it.) Most people get the .357 and shoot .38s in it anyway.

If your's is chambered for .38s, then it will probably be a bit more accurate than shooting .38s loads from a .357. At least that has been my experience.

The SP101 is built like a tank. You'll love it.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »
I have no problems with a 38 for self defense and often slide on into my pocket, even if I am carrying a larger gun.  There is just something very comforting about being able to more easily acquire that snubbie from an inside pocket than my 45 from my belt when I am driving a car or carrying a bag full of groceries, er somethin'....  
Mikey.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 09:40:27 AM »
I kinow that the .38 insn't as popular as it once was, but it did the job back then, and will still do so.  We now have much better ammo to choose from to boot.  Personally, I like the .357, but I bought the Ruger .38 for my wife and she loves it, and handles it well.  Tough to beat a snubbie with good ammo for defense.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 05:40:50 PM »
I think it would be very difficult to find someone on this or any forum with much (if any) first hand experience at shooting a live person with any handgun round.

If I was in the situation where I needed to shoot someone in defense - I would want the most effective gun available.

Until the recoiless hand held photon torpedo launcher is developed and has been on the market long enough that the price has gone down - I think I will stick with my 38s, 9mms and 357.

I have been looking at 10mm autos lately though...

Offline S.S.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 04:54:41 AM »
I would and do feel as confident carrying a .38 Spl.
as any 9mm. The only real difference to me is capacity.
Back when I was first starting in law enforcement we, for the most part, were still issued revolvers. The S&W model 10 .38 SPL. was prevalent.
When we first started swapping over to Auto. 9mm's I noticed that shooting scores dropped drastically and never again got up to the levels
they were at with revolvers. I think that there is a mid set that believes that you don't have to shoot as well when you have 15 rounds.
Kind of the Spray and pray mentality I guess. Practice often with that .38 and you will be armed well enough. The best load in actual shootings is the lead semi wadcutter hollow point. +P or non +P doesn't seem to matter with this round. I have retired my .38 for the simple reason that it is becoming quite collectible. I normally carry a 1911 now but that is soon to change. I have aquired a model 1917 that I am having a 2 inch barrel put on and also making it into round butt. Hammer will also be replaced with a spurless making it pretty compact. It is chambered for the  .455 Webley. (I have lots of brass) That should pretty much cover any self defense needs that should ever arise.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 03:01:46 PM »
Why S. Sumner - it sure is an interesting plan you have for that M17.  I had the same done to the first one I ever owned.  Had the square butt rounded, the hammer bobbed, the barrel shortened to 2.5 inches I recall because of the length of the ejector rod and had it topped with a S&W adjustable rear sight and a Lyman ramp front.  Very nice carry gun.  Later sold it to a NYS Trooper who re-cylindered it to 45 Colt and carried it as a backup.  

cdknox - the 38 special is a pretty effective round.  You can use the +P type load in that Ruger or heavy handloads and they are both very effective.  There are a lot of naysayers out there without either the combat or defensive shooting experience they need to validate their statements but there are a lot more shooting veterans out ther and on these forums who have survived shooting situations more than once and still slip a 38 special into their pocket.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 08:46:41 AM »
Maybe I'll have enough of my income tax money left over from other things to get it finished. I just like those big'ol slow moving bullets.

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 01:42:51 PM »
I keep hearing about plus Ps in 2 inch revolvers.  Well just as I posted on the S&W forum I bought a 638 Airweight and tried some plus Ps in it and 3 shots are all I could handle before my hand was so sore that I couldn't shoot anymore :cry:

So if I can't handle plus Ps in this gun what should I use for self defence in it?  

I have some 1911s but they are too big for me to carry most days.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
Pistoleer, you have two basic choices.  You can either decrease bullet weight to reduce recoil, or reduce pressure.  That leaves you with ammo like the 110- and 125-grain Silvertips, or standard Gold Dots, or shoot the 158-lead SWC-Hollow-points, the old Metro load.  The lighter bullets will expand (probably, if heavy resistance is met) or the 158 HP will dig deeper and might expand if the fates smile on you and Jupiter aligns with the 9th moon of Venus.  Personally, I'd go with a non Plus-P version of something like the Gold Dot or the 125 Silvertip.  Both of those shoot VERY well in most guns, and aren't too punishing.  Snubbies are hard to shoot well, I'd also recommend a stiff dose of practice.  They call them Belly Guns for a reason!

PJ

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »
The .38 lost favor because of stopping power on individuals under extreme circumstances, not because of lack of killing power.
The .45 IS a better choice for a number of reasons.
The .38 super is a good choice.
Most folks shoot the .38 more accurately---your choice of opinions as to why.
I own, shoot and carry a .38 often.
I own, shoot and carry a .380 often.
I own shoot and carry a .45 very often and it is always in the truck.
I own, shoot and carry a .38 super very often.
I own, shoot and carry a 9X23 very often.
I guess I am convinced that I can defend myself decently with all.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.S.

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 10:36:49 AM »
A standard pressure Lead semi-wadcutter HP
is an excellent self defense round. Practice
and put it where it needs to be, It will not matter
if  it is not +P.. I think as a whole, we have become
too Magnumized. I look back in history and look at some of the
rounds that were used as frontline combat rounds and I wonder
why people have suddenly become so hard to stop?
I know Drugs and things of course definately will make a difference,
but over all we are not so different. Wild Bill carried 2 Navy 6's..
Those guns are about as powerful as a .38 Spl wadcutter target load.
But many men fell to them in the mid to late 1800. The Colt Walker
was the most powerful multishot handgun in the world until the .357
Mag came about in the 30's. It was claimed that it would falter a horse!
and Col Walker himself suposedly knocked an indian over the rump of his horse with one with a single shot!
But it was less powerful than a .357!
Practice with the most that you can shoot well and use that. It doesn't
have to be a cannon if you shoot it well.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 01:16:40 PM »
:shock: Paul.  When I said the Sig 220 was my gun of choice, I was refering to a .45.  The capicity is smaller than the 9mm, but the power..... The gun is equiped with a Crimson Trace wrap around grip and shoots like a dream.  Even at my age, and old eye sight, I think I could take a bad guy out a fifty yards.  I could, at least, make em say ouch......... :roll:

Offline PaulS

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 08:41:38 PM »
Rockbilly,

It has been a while since I posted my message but I don't think it was directed at your post. When I direct a post I usually call out a name. I have argued the question about 38 compared to 9mm many times in my life and get frustrated when folks say the 9mm is as good as a 357 - which you did not say - I was just responding to the arguement - not to you.

by the way, you won't catch me saying that a 45 is not a good self defense gun - that is what it was designed for. Its darn good at the job! Glad to hear that you have some respect for your life - and for the size of possible opponents. If I could stand chasing brass I would have kept my Combat Commander in 45ACP. Stay well, Stay armed, stay alive!
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 09:32:53 AM »
Life is, to a certain degree, a numbers game whether we like it or not.  Just pick the number you like and be prepared to live with the consequences.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline rosssmith

The best self defence resources for me and my family
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 11:46:15 PM »
Hi,

I take self defence as a major criteria for staying happily and peacefully. I am concerned about my family's safety, security and protection. self defence is the only way which allows me and my family to frace any challenge which might be a real cause of worry. of la te i have really been very consious about my social security and protection and so self defence according to me should also include arms and other security tools which can keep me safe and protected all the time. although i have tried a few resources recently for my security and protection. But I liked a couple of them. One of them stood out to be the best for me. The security products of Defendingusa has enabled me to achieve a great source of self security measure that allows me to stay secured and always protected. The security product of Defendingusa has greatly helped me in this cause.

Ross smith
     :)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
Re: .38 Special for Self Defense
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »
I had a Ruger SP101 about 15 years ago in 357mag.   I used to practice with 38 lswc every other day.   Once a week I would shoot full house 357 loads.   While I love Rugers I did not enjoy shooting the 357 loads in the 2"SP101.  The muzzle report and flash were quite extreme at the indoor range even with hearing protection on.   Both standard and +p 38s were pleasant and accurate. 

All that being said if you can consistently hit what you are aiming at with the +p 38's then they will do the job.   The SP101 is built like a bank vault and will not let you down.   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:31 AM »
if you look at new guns the mod. 38 air weight S&W sells for less than the SP101 . It is lighter and you will carry it more . The 38+p and the 357 mag in  short bbl. guns are closer in power than at any other time . alot of the powder is burnt after the bullet leaves the bbl. not helping increase power like a long bbl. does . If you want a 357 the 101 is good . If you want a light carry gun the S&W is good . With either a well placed shot is the key to stopping power as both loose alot of power compaired to longer bbl. guns .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:57 AM »
Since I posted that last entry 2-1/2 years ago, not much has changed.....but my carry ammo has.  I often carry a 357 3-inch off duty, but have been carrying the 38 Gold Dots in it for a few years.  Not long ago I tested the MagTech 95-grain 357 load, an all-copper hollowpoint.  Shooting into wet newsprint and duxseal, I got deep penetration, excellent expansion, and very little recoil, especially compared to regular 357 ammunition.  The only downside was muzzle flash, which was apparent on a coudy day.  Blast is a bit fierce as well, but about what you'd expect from a short-barreled 357.  But with that load at halitosis range, I could deliver six shots in about three seconds, aimed fire.  I can't think of another 357 load that would allow me to do that. 

PJ

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 08:13:06 AM »
in some states a bullet must contain lead . Has that changed ? or only apply to hunting ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rosssmith

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 11:37:05 PM »
Hi,

I have not used .38 Special till now so i cannot say what features  it has. few months back, i purchased a Pepper
Gun and a Stun Gun from Defendingusa for my self defence. This two self defence weapons has really helped me a lot to be safe and well protected. I suggest all of u to try Defendingusa's self defence weapons, its simply great.

Ross Smith

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 02:16:01 AM »
Ross this is now two posts you've made to this site since joining and both have been to sing the virtues of this one site. What is your relationship if any to it? I see from your ISP you are in India. Me thinks that means handguns are not allowed to you there correct?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
Ross this is now two posts you've made to this site since joining and both have been to sing the virtues of this one site. What is your relationship if any to it? I see from your ISP you are in India. Me thinks that means handguns are not allowed to you there correct?

Good call, Bill, very good call.  I guess he's trying to sell something? And most spell "Defense" with an "S" not "C" as in "Defence". Can we say red flag?  Don't know if I'll try "Defendinusa". I defend it daily, and smith and wesson, remington, ruger, NEF, beretta, and H&K etc. work just fine, thanks.

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
Re: The best self defence resources for me and my family
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 02:37:20 AM »
Hi,

I take self defence as a major criteria for staying happily and peacefully. I am concerned about my family's safety, security and protection. self defence is the only way which allows me and my family to frace any challenge which might be a real cause of worry. of la te i have really been very consious about my social security and protection and so self defence according to me should also include arms and other security tools which can keep me safe and protected all the time. although i have tried a few resources recently for my security and protection. But I liked a couple of them. One of them stood out to be the best for me. The security products of Defendingusa has enabled me to achieve a great source of self security measure that allows me to stay secured and always protected. The security product of Defendingusa has greatly helped me in this cause.

Ross smith
     :)
That's stuff wouldn't work in detroit.