Author Topic: 243 Grandaughter Loads - Help Paw-Paw  (Read 565 times)

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
243 Grandaughter Loads - Help Paw-Paw
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:12:43 AM »
Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a 243 NEF Youth model w/composite stock for my granddaughter (10 yr old) to shoot.  She has progressed nicely from BB pistol to BB/pellet rifle, then to a Henry Lever .22 and she shoot squirrels with me.

I am having some trouble with groups with this rifle at 50 yd.  I have bought dies but have been working my way thru factory ammo to get a feel for how the gun shoots the various factory offerings.

I have used:

Win 95 fr Ballistic Silver Tip
Fed 80 gr SP
Hornady 75 gr HP
Hornady 58 gr V-Max Moly
PMC 80 gr PSP

So far the only one that shoots decently is the Hornady 58 gr. V-Max Moly.  It barely shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yd.  The other ammo well...let's say they do not do very well.  The barrel is CLEAN and there is a small O-ring between the barrel and forearm where it attaches.

I would appreciate advice for what bullet would be good for whitetail at 50 yd or less and an idea of what powders might work.  I load for my .444's, 44 Mag pistol and .35 Rem.  I find that there are usually a couple of sweet spots in load development.  One at the bottom end and another nearer the upper end.  I want to start her out with an accurate low end load until she gets used to the rifle.

Thanks folks,

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 243 Grandaughter Loads - Help Paw-Paw
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:36:44 AM »
Quote from: VTDW

It barely shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yd.  
Dave 8)

Since the youth model uses the ultra thin barrel, accuracy and consistant groups can be a problem. I would have been very happy for MOA from the two Handi 243s I finally gave up on. Some report better groups with the heavier bullets. My Remington 243s all prefer 100 gr factory and 105 gr handloads..

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 09:50:05 AM »
Dave, do a search for superlight 243, there are several threads, Howard NZ got his shooting real well. I don't have the superlight, but my .243 Ultra shoots Federal Fusion 95gr and 100gr Power Shoks moa or better. Statelinerut's .243 shoots the Fusion great, too. I know you're handloading, but maybe this will lead you in the right direction. As Wally said, the superlight can be frustrating, I think that thin barrel heats real fast and upsets accuracy, IMO. There's also a thread by Perklo in the FAQ on his superlight.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=379420&highlight=#379420

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:00:07 AM »
VTDW,
My granddaughter, now 14, has a Ruger 77 lightweight that she's been using for three seasons. She's only a tiny girl so I loaded lighter recoiling loads for her. She shot a big doe this past season using a load consisting of the Nosler 100 gr. Ballistic Tip and a lower end charge of H-380 powder. This load will print about 1 1/4" three shot groups @ 100 yds. The Ruger has a very thin barrel too, probably not unlike your Handi.
And that's what works for us. Good luck finding the right load.

Best regards,
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline VTDW

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 02:49:49 PM »
Steelbanger, Quickdtoo and Mt3030,

Thanks loads fellas.  There is a LOT of info and expertise in your posts.  This old welder will have to take some time to figure out what ya'll said and decipher what is in the link. :wink:

Thanks again as your input just might make old Paw-Paw look like a genius, :lol:

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 04:16:16 PM »
Dave,

I load 18.0 gr Blue Dot with a 100 gr Rem Core-loc and a Win LR primer for my grandson.  It will shoot less than 1 1/4" at 100 yards and has plenty of power for whitetails.

We have a Chevy flywheel set up at 190 yards and he can hit the gong with that load without a problem.

It's a very low recoil load.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 05:11:06 PM »
VIDW

So far the only one that shoots decently is the Hornady 58 gr. V-Max Moly.

I load 18.0 gr Blue Dot with a 100 gr Rem Core-loc and a Win LR primer for my grandson.

Both these two loads have two things in common, that is low pressure and minimal vibrations. We all know about low pressure creates lesser vibration.

The light 243 and their thin barrels will be greatly aggrevated by high pressure of a 243.

Try to get rid of any loose joints bed the forearm solid with forearm tip uplift of 15lbs and simmer down the loads. That 18gr Blue dot load is one heck of a good load for a kid.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 05:44:07 PM »
I only own a Standard contour 243 and I have shot it only with the synthetic stock. I have noticed that the wood stocks are easier to tune, but the synthetic ones can do well too. Mine shot a 3/4" 3 shot group the other day, and the largest being 1 1/4" with cheap-o 100gr Winchester Super-X's I had laying around. Plenty good for deer.
Even if you have an O-Ring on it, with a synthetic stock it might not float as evenly as a wooden one, due to the forearm bending slighty with excessive tightening of the forearm screw.
-Aaron

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
All of my Handis use 8mm OD X 6mm ID copperplated steel gaskets/washers that are part of a VW Beetle (not the new Beetle) oil drain plate gaskets set.  It fit from 40 hp 1200 cc to 1600 cc (1960-1974) air cooled engines.  Most of the time I super glue three into the forearm screw hole.  Then I use a straight slotted screw 1/4"X20X3/4" snugged down and backed off until the slot is lined up with the barrel.  If there are still tight spots between the barrel and forearm, I use whatever is necessary to get rid of the excess material.  Synthetics are hard to work with, so a die grinder may be needed.  I jokingly say I can passed a Dallas phone book between the barrel and the forearm!

I said all of that to point out a rubber "O" ring probably isn't the best system for a consistant barrel to forearm position.  Some people prefer a solid bed, some prefer a pillar bed and some prefer a floated barrel.  I suppose my system is a variation of pillar bedding.  :roll: