Author Topic: Of subject, however...  (Read 493 times)

Offline alien319

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • NRA Member
    • East Carolina Predator Hunting Forum
Of subject, however...
« on: April 22, 2006, 06:37:55 PM »
I am trying to get into reloading but am wondering on how. I am asking you guys because you all seem to be the nicest and most dedicated shooters on this entire GBO Forum.  Is there a book or anything to get started.  Let me know, any advice is appreciated!  Thanks for your input!
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat, Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered: "If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight."
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

Win. Model 94 .30-30, Lakefield Arms MkII .22LR, Mossberg 500 12GA, Ruger P345 .45ACP, Remington 700 .308/McMA4 stock, 1932 Mosin Nagant

USMC-'03-Present

Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran

Offline Ricci Price

Of subject, however...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:26:55 PM »
Most reloading manuals have some pretty good info in them. They pretty much explain the basics. Most anything else can be learned from forums and reading on the net if there are some things that you have questions about by all means ask.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Of subject, however...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 04:33:17 AM »
Alien319

Before you spend any money , take a trip to the local library and check out a couple books on reloading .

This will give you tons of info on what is out there , the most inportant thing to do is read as much as you can before you start to load your first round .

Also check your local gun shops they may know someone that will be willing to help you get started .

If you have more ?'s stop by the handloading forum , alot of us spend time there too and will be more than glad to help . If all else fails send me a PM , i have been loading for over 20 years and am willing to help someone new get into loading .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Of subject, however...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 05:32:27 AM »
Here's a good place to start looking...

http://www.reload-nrma.com/

Just click on the links on the page and take the virtual tour as well...

Here's another good place to start..you can set back and watch..

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=store&page=item&stock_num=0095&CFTOKEN=49998496&CFID=1986008

As already stated..you can pick up a few good manuals and look thru them as well...the Sierra 5th edition..Barnes #3....Lyman 48th edition are great reference manuals I use all the time...

Good Luck. :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Of subject, however...
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:20:01 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bluebayou

Of subject, however...
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 07:18:53 AM »
Ditto to what Stimpylu says.  Go to the library before you spend ANY money.  When I started, I thought, "why not buy the manual, I will always use it as reference."  That is a good way to waste some money.  Everyone has a favorite, but I would look for the newest Lyman Manual #48, I think.  Another bit of advice would be to buy the bullet maker's manual AFTER you decide on which bullets your rifle shoots best.  I bought a Nosler manual and between 3 rifles only one shoots Nosler very well.  $20 or $30 a whack adds up.

As long as I am looking back on my 2 years of reloading, I would say don't scrimp on the dies.  I am not convinced that the press really matters other than personal preference.  The Lee dies are okay, but by the time that you replace the fake lock rings that they send, then you haven't saved any money.  The time that you waste fiddling with seating depth because you can't lock the seater on the seating die also leans me toward Hornady or RCBS dies.  Between Lee, RCBS, and Hornady they all seem to have great customer service.  

Last bit of advice:  DON'T USE A LUBE PAD, BUY THE HORNADY ONE SHOT CASE LUBE IN SPRAY CAN.  I cannot stress enough how much stress you will save by NOT using a lube pad.  Maybe I was just a ham-handed idiot, but I dented a lot of cases and got really, really frustrated a couple of times.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Of subject, however...
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 08:07:47 AM »
I agree with Bluebayou and Mac, the Lyman 48th would be my first choice in manuals having been thru the new-to-reloading experience not much over a year ago. It's got good info for learning basics, and still has lots of data that has been very useful.

The Lee "Modern Reloading" manual would be another great choice, and if you choose to go with the Lee Anniversary kit, it is offered with that kit for less money than if you bought it separately.

Once you decide on the calibers you want to load for, you can pick up a LoadbookUSA for that specific caliber for $7, it has load data from most  all bullet and powder mfrs in one spiral bound booklet, great resource for not a lot of money.

Agree on the One Shot lube, too!! I started with it and have never been disappointed or frustrated with any of the issues I've read about with other lubes or methods.

If you're an Ebayer, you can get some great buys on used and new equipment if you're selective and know prices and include shipping costs to evaluate the end cost. I picked up 4 used, but like new die sets in one buy for not much more than 2 die sets would have cost new.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
Of subject, however...
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 07:35:31 PM »
If you decide if you want to reload, after going to the library, I would go to www.midwayusa.com and order a Lee anniversary kit w/ manual. It will cost about 82.00. Dies will run you anywhere from 20.00 to 35.00.  i have one of those Lee kits and I love it. Don't plan on making alot of bullets right off. Like the others have said, a couple of manuals and very important get the loadbooks specific to the calibers of rifles you'll be shooting. They only cost 6 or 7 dollars apiece and money well spent. Midway has those too. Some of those books are on sale now until the end of the month. Personally, I have the Lee 2nd edition that came with the kit and the Lyman reloaders manual also. If still uncertain on how to do it, they do have videos to reload. Lyman has an excellent video. I don't know if you really save money reloading, but the money you spend will do several things; you taylor-make your loads, more consistant groups, experiment with caution on hot loads, and the money you spent on factory cartridges will go a lot further. You will definitely have more bullets to shoot and longer range times since you can make bullets a lot cheaper. More range time and getting to know your rifle is a good thing! :mrgreen:
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Of subject, however...
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 03:39:34 AM »
Most good manuals have ‘how to’ sections in them.  If you can, borrow several and check these sections out.  I made the mistake many years ago of just ordering the press and dies.  I took one look at the instructions that came with them and got scared and packed the outfit away for fifteen years.  A few years ago I purchased a Lee manual (not suggesting you do this it was just what I bought) read it and got my courage up to try again.  Whatever you do stick strictly to what the manual tells you to do.  If you can find an experienced reloader to mentor you that also will be a great help.  Today I can’t imagine buying a box of factory ammo. :-)
RJ