Author Topic: Dont get the Pardner Pump  (Read 1770 times)

Offline 981tman

• Trade Count: (0)
Dont get the Pardner Pump
« on: April 23, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »
Its a chinsy chineese pos that is a copy of the good ole 870. If you are considereing one, just get New England Firearms' single shots they are American and good. Or an 870. :grin:

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 03:36:58 AM »
I happen to like my Pardner Pump.  It does everything I have asked it to do, and does it extremely cheaply to boot.

As for it being a copy of the 870...so what.  The 870 is an awesome action.  I'd buy one, but I don't use a shotgun enough to warrant the extra $$$.  I got all the benefit for half the price.   More for less...it's the American way.  What's wrong with that?

I don't really want to get into the whole 'made in China' thing cuz, something like, 50% of all the clothing and textiles we use in the States are made in Asia somewhere.  So I’m sure almost everyone has more things made in Asia in their house than stuff that is made in the USA.

RackWrangler

BTW.  I specifically do not shop at Wal-Mart, but that is more to do with their business practices than it is to do with where their merchandise comes from.
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 11:39:54 AM »
I like mine too, paid about 190 for it at a local gunshop. And I think it looks better than a field grade 870.

If you don't want one don't buy one. I would bet the majority of firearms sold in this country are imports of some sort.

As far as material, fit and finnish go they are all very good, especially for a gun of this price. It's nicer than my mossberg was in that regard.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »
I wondered how long it would take to get the opinions flying on this one. What is your opinion of this gun based on? Do you have any actual experience with one? If you have any experienced based negative comments I'd love to hear them. I wouldn't buy one because there are better U.S. made alternatives that aren't that much more expensive. If others want to directly support the communist Chineese army that's their choice. I'd love to talk about what a lousy gun it is but that doesn't seem so at this point from all I've heard.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:09:37 PM »
I looked at the H&R and I was impressed with the fit and finish.

I'm pretty sure an 870 will always have a better resale value though. Loads of aftermarket suppliers have all kinds of goodies for 870's to make one gun into anything from a turkey blaster to a riot gun too. I got my base model 870 new for about $250. I don't know if the H&R could match it in any category other than price.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RackWrangler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:31:19 AM »
Almost all accessories for the 870 will work on the Pardner Pump.  As stated above, it is a copy...almost an exact copy.  All butt stocks and forends will work.  The only difference is the choke.  The Pardner Pump uses a Winchester choke.  

I bought mine for $139.99 ($148.00 out the door) at Gander Mountain.  I couldn't even find a used shotgun for that price.  Mine is synthetic (which is how I like 'em).  

I've patterned turkey loads, fired rifled slugs, and shot trap with my P.P. and everything was on par with the 870 Express my friend has.

Like I stated above...all the benefit for half the price.

RackWrangler

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 10:41:15 PM »
"Almost" an "exact" copy of the venerable tried-and-true "AMERICAN" Model 870 pump shotgun ....... !

In the world of ripping off "intellectual property rights" that the Chicoms  so often do ........

How many Americans and American companies are getting ripped off because the Chicoms can "reproduce" (without permission or license I'm thinking ....... ) a copy of America's MOST POPULAR SHOTGUN?

Offline RackWrangler

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 06:14:14 PM »
Yes...it's made in china.  Who sells it?  Answer H&R.  
So who am I supporting by buying it; the Chinese company that made it, or the American company that is selling it?

We are completely going off topic.  The original statement was:
"Its a chinsy chineese pos that is a copy of the good ole 870"

No body, with any experience, has posted anything negative about this shotgun.  No one has come forward stating that it is, in fact, a P.O.S. or that it is made with inferior materials.  All anyone can say is it is a copy of the 870.

If you're going to argue "Intellectual property" as your reason not to buy, you better be reading this on a Mac computer since Windows was stolen from Apple. :oops:

RackWrangler

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 04:33:26 AM »
Gooooooood rationalization Rack!

No doubt you're teaching great values of integrity to your children and younguns that know yo!   :wink:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 06:05:56 AM »
The personal jabs STOP NOW! The next to post one will wish they hadn't. If you want to talk the gun do so. If you wish to attack each other take it off forum or go elsewhere. I will NOT tolerate it here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 06:59:31 AM »
Completely happy with mine. I think it is built as good or better than the 870 for less money. In this day and age where you don't really know where anything is made anymore I'm not overly concerned with it. I have an import car that is made here, my last car was an american car but made somewhere else? Go figure.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 08:24:58 AM »
Hunting buddy of mine uses a Pardner Pump in 12 gauge. (I use Mossbergs.) I've examined it and shot it. I think the workmanship and material stands up very good compared to the Remington. The bluing on his might be a little thinner, but for half the price, performes very well.

I think many have to realize we are in an international market place, and must deal with it. In the 1950s there was still a lot of hard feelings toward Japan, and I remember my parents didn't have anything positive to say about the Japanese products.

I also think that since 981tman never reposted to explain or defend his statement, he might of just been trying to stir the pot. If so, he must of enjoyed getting friends to go at each other.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline one$$shot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 02:17:56 PM »
I'd like to see a part list with prices.  How much does it cost to fix?  How fast are the parts available?

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 06:10:27 AM »
One reason I like it is the cost.For a kid or jr, or me as a truck gun I do not want a nice stock bouncing around in the truck.I fell for NEF do to price.so far it's been a good decision.

Offline jeffk14

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 04:34:30 PM »
I've had mine for about 6 mo's now. BTW, I have 3 870's & 2 Moss 500's. This was bought to "beat around" with. I take it camping and it rides behind the truck seat sometimes. It's the "tactical" model with the 19" barrel. I've been very pleased. Compared to the 870 (Express), I think the gun is more heavily built. It has a metal trigger guard instead of plastic. The syn furniture seems heavier than the 870. It was a little rough to cycle at first, but after a thorough cleaning , racking the slide hundreds of times & running about a hundred rounds through it of everything from target loads to OO buck, it has smoothed up pretty well & eats everything I put in it. Yes, it's Chinese, but I don't feel guilty buying one since I already own 5 American pump shotguns & I only got this one because it was cheap. A Dick's just opened up near me & they have the gun for $149.99.  I think this gun is an excellent value. As a bonus, I now have a shotgun that can get "dinged up" without my worrying about it. I tend to treat all my American guns like they're made of glass.

Offline akr

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 04:44:05 PM »
You guys keep on being proud of your Pardner pumps.  They are darn good guns, and don't let anybody tell you different.  Good buy, good gun, made well, and look nice.  You can always depend on H&R/NEF, and if they think it's alright, then it's alright.

Offline hipshot300

copy
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 08:14:19 AM »
don't know if it is the same gun but norinco several years back imported a 870 copy. from what i remember, i liked the wood on it. the finish was a little weak but the gun worked fine. we tried to change out a few parts with an 870 just to see if they would. came close, but for it to work some fitting would be needed.
a friend had another "870" norinco with a synthetic stock and made the mistake of using gun scrubber. the stock started to melt. but i have seen this happen to other guns on occasion.
i have not had a chance to handle the h&r but if it was anything like the norinco (possibly same gun?) it should make a fine working gun.