Author Topic: Weatherby buying Winchester?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline shilo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Weatherby buying Winchester?
« on: April 23, 2006, 04:27:39 PM »
The rumer mill has been running - is Weatherby buying Winchester?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:32:23 PM »
I thought the conditions being put on the sale was the buyer had to be a manufacturer. Strictly speaking Weatherby is NOT a manufacturer. All their guns are out sourced.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:27:15 AM »
I hope this is true. I love my Japanese Weatherby's. What an action the Mark V is. I consider myself an extreme patriot, a vet. I stopped supporting sub par labor 20 years ago. the track record of Weatherby for me is that Ed Weatherby would make sure m70's were done right!

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:16:59 PM »
I saw a headline the other day (didn't read the article) of S&W possibly buying Winchester.  Rumours are flying!
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 10:40:27 AM »
Unless it has changed the last thing I read was that they gave the pass.
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline white feather

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »
Gentlemen

This is why nobody is picking up Winchester, take it for what its worth.
The building is 140 years old or there about, it is in dire need of repair, and being that old it falls under guidelines by both federal and state regulations of how the repair has to be done, its a historical building so it has to stay 90% in the original condition.

Next the  equipment is very old and very worn out, not that it cant be rebuilt, but the equipment will still be old and rebuilt, and slow.

The last thing is the clean up of the building and the surrounding area, after 140 years of building firearms and firearms being built before the EPA came along the place is a mess, cutting oil has soaked the floor so badly that its a real mess, in the area where the firearms where blued its a nightmare, again the floor is a real mess and there is talk of ground water contamination, the city is trying hard to get someone to pick it up so they will be stuck with the clean up or if nobody pickes it up the EPA will come in and clean everything up and the city gets stuck with the bill, have you all forgot what happened when the EPA came in and shut down the Redfield scope mamufacturing company a few years ago,its all a shame that  it happened and i would really like to see Winchester back in buisness again especially if they would make them like they did pre 64, but i guess im only dreaming.   :D

Offline shilo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 11:45:25 AM »
white feather, you have some good points there. I live near a small town and it too has "historical guidelines" for its buildings. The result; downtown is DEAD. Nobody wants to rent or buy those old buildings that need so much repair and cost a fortune to heat in the winter. Meanwhile 7 miles up the road from here, a place that was just an intersection has boomed in building. New factories and businesses, hotels, restaurants. Why? I think in large part because they could build the sort of facilities they needed. The EPA? Could never understand the idea of digging up "contaminated ground" and hauling it somewhere else and dumping it. Didn't that just create more contaminated ground?

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 05:44:33 PM »
When a brownfield sight is remediated the contaminated soil is frequently taken to an incinerator and burned to remove the contaminant.  If that doesn't work for the type of contamination another method is to pack the soil in DOT approved barrels and stored in a secure site.  Either method is expensive, but takes the contaminant out of proximity to the groundwater.  Water is more important even than oil, so we need to do what we can.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 11:55:34 AM »
They don't need to buy the New Haven plant and fix it up to continue making Model 70s.  All that's needed is for Olin to sell the rights to someone to build rifles under the Winchester Model 70 name.  But it seems unlikely Olin would license the Winchester name to two different firearms manufacturers (US Repeating Arms is still making other guns under the Winchester Name).

Offline jhm

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 12:30:53 PM »
Ok I give up I am going to buy them, all I have to do is get them to accept my offer, and it going to be on the low side since the cost of fuel has jumped as high as it has, Im thinking of the $4.95 area :-D    JIM

Offline opmech

• www.azoil.com
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 08:47:34 AM »
I keep waiting to see it on Ebay... :-D  :)  :-D  :)  :-D  :)  :-D  :)  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: