Author Topic: Barrel break in  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Smokin54

• Trade Count: (0)
Barrel break in
« on: December 04, 2002, 03:02:12 PM »
I just bought a new encore in .223 with a heavy stainless barrel , I have been shooting a contender pistol for while but have never bought a new barrel (just used ones).
What is the best way to break in this new barrel ?
Thanks

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Barrel break in
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2002, 04:38:11 PM »
Most probably won't agree with me, but I say take it and shoot it as much as you want that day then bring it home and clean it.

Offline KN

Breaking in
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 04:50:37 PM »
I have barrels that I have gone through the whole long process of fire-clean-fire clean etc. And I have barrels that I have just taken out and shot a bunch then cleaned. Truthfully I really cant tell the difference in accuracy between them. I normally take a new barrel and polish it out with some JB bore paste before shooting and that seems to work great. Just my opinion. KN

Offline Smokin54

Barrel break in
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2002, 02:37:02 PM »
I asked contender themselves and their reply was to clean after each of the first five shots and then clean after each five shot group for the next fifty shots .

Offline Kurt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Barrel break in
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 09:07:05 PM »
I asked my smith this when I got my new m70 classic fetherwt in 280 rem. He worked for both Colt and High Standard? when in Conneticut. He also placed in national NRA competition. On the question he srugged his sholders shook his head and said, If you feel the need clean every five or 10 rounds with hoppes bench rest. He is not fond of the high ammonia cleaners. Bench rest is fairly low ammonia. He said don't let copper build up at any time through the life of a barrel. After what I considered break in, several hundred rounds of various different bullets and loads with dismal results I landed on 57g 4831 with 160 nozler partition, well under 1 moa. So in my experience it is the load that matters. My 7MM mag custom and the 280 will scatter 150 corelockts factory loads.