Author Topic: Handgun Fit  (Read 691 times)

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Handgun Fit
« on: March 29, 2003, 11:39:48 AM »
There is an article in the current issue of Gunworld that grabbed my attention. The article deals with the matching of grip size to your hand and the effect of a grip that is too large or small for your hand. The article proposes a simple test for proper fit: While holding the pistol in your weak hand place the first joint of your trigger finger on the trigger. Now without changing the position of the finger on the trigger grip the gun. You then naturally extend the weapon to strong hand only firing position and check your sight alignment. If your sight alignment is off to the + strong side the grip is too large, off the other way- and it's too small. On a traditional DA pistol you could effectively have it both ways depending on the SA or DA mode. Verrrrry interesting-----------------Might explain why that first shot from the holster is so slooooow.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Handgun Fit
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 03:50:39 PM »
Sounds correct to me!  You wouldn't buy pants that were too small or too large, but many of us try to get by with a gun that does not fit just because we want it or it is the latest and greatest.  I've owned many double action revolvers and glocks and while I loved them, I also ended up selling them because they did not fit my hands.  I have small hands and short fingers.  (and no, that doesn't carry over to other parts of the body!)  Because of that, I have always ended up comming back to single action revolvers and 1911 autos.  They fit, they point naturally, and shoot where I want them to.  Tried 3 glocks, sold them all.  Allways ended up shooting to the side because I could not line them up with my wrists and still reach the trigger.  I have to put short triggers into my 1911s, but they work wonderfully for me then.    Good shooting!    44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!