Author Topic: 375H&H vs 375H&H Improved?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline hans g./UpS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
375H&H vs 375H&H Improved?
« on: May 08, 2006, 09:47:00 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a bolt action rifle built in either 375H&H or 375H&H Improved,probably with a 24" or 26" barrel.
I handload.
Any significant advantage of the 375H&H Improved?
I figure either will be more versatile than the current 338WinMag [Savage 116FLSS] that I have e.g.cast or paper patched bullets in the off season.
Thanks.

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:20:13 AM »
The differance in vel. is only about 100fps. The advantage not talked about much is the sharper shoulder cuts down on case streching, and may make your brass last longer. This is the only reason I'd consider the imp. case over the std.
Dave375HH

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:53:17 AM »
Good luck finding ammo when the airline sends your's to Back Afghanistan!! :-D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline hans g./UpS

• Contributor
375H&H vs 375H&H Improved
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 06:32:42 AM »
Dusty Miller,
                  If the airline loses your ammo,regardless whether it's standard or improved,you've got a problem.375H&H [standard]will chamber/fire in the improved version,albeit with some velocity loss.Unless you can buy the -exact- factory brand/weight/lot of ammo that you originally sighted in with,you'll have to re-sight the firearm.
What I have done with some firearms after sighting with handloads,is to take several different factory brands/loads and test them in the firearm,I then
record this info on a file card taped onto the buttstock.
I have wondered about ballistic advantages with the improved version for North American hunting.
It sounds like potential longer case life is THE primary advantage.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »
It appears that way, but then again, who on this planet shoots his 375 H&H often enough to worry about it?  I guess if a guy is perpetually short of funds then its an issue.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 10:43:39 AM »
It appears that way, but then again, who on this planet shoots his 375 H&H often enough to worry about it?  I guess if a guy is perpetually short of funds then its an issue.

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:49:38 AM »
Why not go to the 375 Ultramag? I have a cut hole in my gun case that holds two box of Ultramag. So if the ammo is lost so is the hunt!

Oh Yes@! If you have shot two box of 375 Ultramag in one/two weeks you not only should go home but will need the rest. Either you can't shoot the gun are have a truck load of meat. Not to mention the pulverized shoulder. I still would not exchange it for anything on the market.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag