Author Topic: Wheel weight markings  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Wheel weight markings
« on: March 30, 2003, 10:14:18 AM »
I know the ones marked "P" are suitiable for casting bullets, how about the ones with other markings like AW, AA, Micro.... I melted a mixture of WW's last night that crumbled. I emptied the pot and picked out only the WW's marked "P", melted 'em and had no problems. Are the others babbot or something?

Offline Joe Kool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Wheel weight markings
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 03:12:24 PM »
Lead is considered a hazardous material and the tire shops have to pay to get rid of them. Bullet casters help them out because the shops can get rid of the old wheel weights and not have to pay. They may have started making wheel weights out a a materal like bismuth so they can be disposed of more easily. I did discover the wheel weights marked SnugL or much harder the most wheel weights. If you want a certain hardness and you are using wheel weights be sure to pick out all the weights marked SnugL. I pick them out and make an alloy with only the SnugL weights. 8)

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Wheel weight markings
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 04:40:48 PM »
If they were made of babbit they would not give you any trouble casting. I use a lot of #4 nickel babbit in my casting, it makes for very hard bullets.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Billy Marr

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
Wheel weight markings
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 03:48:26 AM »
I yse them all in my alloying with no problem just keep the melt at about 650 F and add some tin.
lead bullets done right