Author Topic: Best of the lost  (Read 491 times)

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Best of the lost
« on: May 10, 2006, 06:55:22 AM »
We've lost some cartridges that were great deer hunting cartridge's. Most got replaced by the latest and greatest which in fact may not really be the greatest. As an example, I believe that both the 250-3000 and the 257 Roberts are better cartridges than the 24's that ran them off. A 100gr bullet from a Roberts will get a bit more velocity than either the 243 or the 6mm Rem and has heavier bullets avaliable. The 250-3000 will give suitable velocity to any sensable range and once again provide heavier bullets. Then too both 25's are really mild on recoil, an advantage for the recoil shy. Both the 25's also handle varmit bullet's down to 75grs very well.

The 35 Rem was a plug that only did one thing well, it killed deer very dead and was chambered in rifles that were designed to hunt deer with in the woods. Most of todays rifles seem to be designed to sell hunters what they will buy. How many of you have seen something like a 7# bolt in 300 mag with a 4-12x scope in the deer woods. Very saleable but not real practicle.

The 300 Savage in a Model 99 had to be a good woods cartridge and I'd think the old 348 was also. Probally the passing I understand the least is the 256 Newton. I understand that for whatever reason, the 6.5's just don't cut it in this country but what's with the 6.5x284? It offeres little if any advantage over the Newton.

Many of these old cartridges were just right for rifles with 20" and 22" barrels also making a bit better handling rifles.

If any were to come back, what would you want or maybe what would fill some need? My first choice would be the 250-3000. Low recoil for light rifles and recoil shy shooters and plenty of bullets for varmits to deer. Next would be the 257 Roberts for the same reasons.

What do you think? Maybe I'm lost in the past.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Best of the lost
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 10:39:49 AM »
Your not lost in the past.....just realized your experience.....I have no need for a fire spitting golly whomper.....either..........I've always wanted a .257 Roberts........but I do think the .243 is a better long range varmit rifle as the cartridge is better suited for the lighter bullets but no doubt the .257 Roberts with the 120 grain bullet is a fine deer round.  Another really great round that comes to mind is the 7X57mm which has lost ground to the 7mm/08.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Gregory

Best of the lost
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 01:44:40 PM »
I'd love a left hand bolt in 7x57 and 250 Savage.  What I own is a LH 7mm-08 and a 25/06.  Closest I could get without going custom.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
Best of the lost
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 05:33:16 PM »
Your not lost in the past, my favorites are the 257 Roberts, 7x57, 284 Win, 300H&H and the358 Win, I have others but these are my favorite. :wink:

Offline Idaho_Hick

• Avid Poster
Best of the lost
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »
I love the .250 savage also - I have 3 boxes of shells for the day I get one!  Sadly, that day is looking farther and farther away.  I also really like the old little guys like the 32-20 and 25-20, I understand the "cowboys" are starting to bring them back.  Cheap to feed, quiet, no kick and substantially more killing power than a .22 rimfire, whats not to like?  Also, can anyone tell me why the hornet made a comeback and the Bee is still outdated and relatively unknown.  It seems like a more modern, efficient design while still keeping in the same ballistic field as the hornet.  I would love to have a little bolt action sporter made up for the Bee.  I have owned neither but hear that the Bee is much easier to load for.