Author Topic: Plus P loads in S&W model 14 revolver 38 special?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Plus P loads in S&W model 14 revolver 38 special?
« on: May 11, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »
Will a S&W 38 special model 14 hold up well to a steady diet of thousands of +P loads?
Safety first

Offline 257 roberts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 04:25:01 PM »
I've put 1000's of +p's thru my Model 10 with no problems, both are K frames,you should be good to go. :D

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 01:03:31 AM »
Questor - 257 roberts is right.  A Model 14 is just another Model 10, but with target sights and a 6" bbl - some are even single action only but none the less, they are a steel framed Model 10 with enhancements and they will handle the +P loads.  Hey, a Model 13 is just another Model 10 but in 357 mag.  Mikey.

Offline Questor

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:52:47 PM »
That idea got shot down. Take a look at the information on the analogous thread on the hand loading forum. They've convinced me it's too hard on the gun.
Safety first

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 11:24:12 PM »
What part of the weapon was it hard/too hard on??
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 04:34:37 AM »
Quote from: Questor
That idea got shot down. Take a look at the information on the analogous thread on the hand loading forum. They've convinced me it's too hard on the gun.

Strange, PD I worked for used M15s (M14 is nothing more exept for longer barrel) for years and we shot lots of +Ps throught them with no ammo related problems. I've still got the 5" M15 I carried and it HAS thousands of +P loads through it for a fact. Other than holster wear it is still shooting well.

Larry Gibson.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 02:46:20 PM »
I personally have shot 35,000 rounds of +P loads through my model 10 in one summer.  This gun was well used when I got it, and this load, a 148gr. at 1000+ fps. never did a thing to this gun with good maintainance.  This gun still shoots great and got revived for falling plates competition for about 3 months recently.  If you don't need +P, don't shoot them, if you do, YOU will probably wear out before a K frame S&W will in 38 spec.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 01:35:17 PM »
I question the statement regarding the Model 13.  I believe the heat treatment on the M13 and M65 is different so that they will "safely" handle .357 ammunition.  

The S&W model 19 was a step forward from the Model 10 with improve heat treatment and adjustable sights.  The FBI asked for the Model 13, which was a model 19 without the adjustable sights.  Or if you like a M10 with improve heat treatment.   The problem is that a steady diet of high will increase wear in any firearm.  

"Questor  Senior MemberLocation: El Stupido, NMGender: Unknown  GBO Auctions    Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: S&W model 14 38 special and steady diet of +P ammo?   

How does the S&W model 14 aka K38 stand up to a steady diet of 38 special +P ammo? I'm about to start loading 950+ fps ammo for 100 yard target shooting and, while highest velocity standard loads will do close to this velocity I want to know what my safety cushion is before I start battering the gun."

I think you received some good answers with your original post.  You did not specify which bullet you plan on using.  If you plan on using jacketed bullets you will be exceeding +P pressures to obtain 950+ fps with bullets heavier then 125 grains.  I think your load is pushing the manufacturing limits with heavier bullets at that velocity.  

Yesterday I went out and fire 100 rounds of standard velocity .38 Special reloads.  Twenty-five .38 +p+, 110 grain hollow points, and twelve 125 grain HP.357 factory rounds.  This was out of a M13 a weapon designed to fire high-pressure loads. The point is that I do not need to create excessive wear on my firearm to enjoy it.

One of my favorite practice loads out of the .357 is a 158 grain SWC lead bullet around 900 feet per second.  When the correct powder this is a safe load in a .38 Special.  

So how will your M14 hold-up to high-pressure loads.   It will increase wear and tear.  I have seen a number of different S&W .38 Specials with blow out cylinders.   With fast burning powders it is very easy to go from + p to a blown up handgun. Your M14 should holdup if you do not exceed SAAMI specs for +p 38 ammo.

One of my favorite digger squirrel loads is 110-grain HP +p+ load out of a M66.  A very accurate combination.  A friend wanted some for his Model 36 and I refused.  I did not want the liability.  The nature of man is to keep pushing the limits.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.