Author Topic: Let's talk about this .41 mag thing a bit more...  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Litefoot

• Trade Count: (0)
Let's talk about this .41 mag thing a bit more...
« on: March 30, 2003, 02:17:56 PM »
... I read some of the discussion earlier and now I'm considering a Taurus 415 2" .41 Mag as a backpacking tote. At only 20 oz, I'm sure it would snap wickedly, and it  might be hard to learn to shoot well. But I'm really looking for your thoughts on the viability of the .41 mag caliber as a pack pistol for naughty critters up to and including black bear. I doubt that I'll ever see browns or grizzlies where I live (Utah). Thank ye one and all.
"Other evils there are that may come...Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know..."-Aragorn, King Elessar

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
Let's talk about this .41 mag thing a bit m
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2003, 02:33:30 PM »
We must think alike.  I am awaiting a gun I purchased over the internet.  It is a S&W 657 3" magnaported bbl.  I bought it for packing in the woods, camping, hunting, scouting.  Before this, I would have had to bring my 686 with a 6" bbl, so this should be more handy.  I got it for $450, and this includes two speedloaders, two holsters, and some brass and ammo.  I will let you know how it shoots (and kicks.)
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline 1badmagnum

• http://pub64.ezboard.com/fthedeserteaglefrm1
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2003, 04:09:43 PM »
the taurus porting works extremely well,my 454 is easy to shoot.
I now own 2 taurus raging bulls and I like them alot.
the factory 41 magnum ammo is slighly more expensive and scarce than say 44 magnum or 45 long colt,but I love shooting unique calibers,and feel 41 magnum would be a fantastic self defense pistol even with 2 inch barrel and no porting.

Offline Gunner

Taurus 415
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 04:20:47 PM »
I have one and recoil is not bad at all, the porting works very well and is easy to shoot double action hitting at 10-15 yards with multiable shots on target. The only problem with it is the 5 shot cylinder is small so handloading heavy is a no no, factory and like loads will work fine and not stress the cylinder.

Gunner

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Re: Let's talk about this .41 mag thing a bit more...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 05:51:25 PM »
Quote from: Litefoot
... I read some of the discussion earlier and now I'm considering a Taurus 415 2" .41 Mag as a backpacking tote. At only 20 oz, I'm sure it would snap wickedly, and it  might be hard to learn to shoot well. But I'm really looking for your thoughts on the viability of the .41 mag caliber as a pack pistol for naughty critters up to and including black bear. I doubt that I'll ever see browns or grizzlies where I live (Utah). Thank ye one and all.

:D I don't have any experience with the Taurus in .41Magnum, yet. I think as a trail gun, I'd get the Tracker. I think I'd get the SS as opposed to the titanium model as I like to shoot the guns I carry. Dry Creek 230gr. Keith bullet at around 1000FPS would be a nice easy load and still take down even black bear. I'm anxious to try Winchester's new 240gr. Platinum bullet load but can't find anybody who has it in stock yet. BTW, I like adjustable sights on a gun as I like to experiment with different loadings. With a four inch barrel, one wouldn't get the muzzle flash or quite the recoil of the 2 inch barrel. Whatever you decide, you've got the right caliber!  8)  RKBA!
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I've carried a 4" SW 57 for years
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2003, 09:07:11 AM »
Here in Alaska I've carried a 4" SW 57 for years.  It is heavier than I like and I sure wish it was stainless.  Since Federal and Corbon have brought out the heavy cast bullet loads I think the 41 is a much better wilderness defense round.  I think the new lighter stainless guns would be good choices.  I just haven't had the $ to get one.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2003, 03:53:31 PM »
Excellant cartridge!   Word of warning...sooner or later someone will ask "why not just have a .44 magnum?"   When they do just remind them that thier .44 is actually a .429 magum while your is a .410 Magnum!  is the extra recoil worth the extra .019?
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline JohnK

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 07:10:07 PM »
Dry Creek 230gr. Keith bullet at around 1000FPS would be a nice easy load and still take down even black bear.

Unfortunately the cylinder is so short on the Taurus that you can't load the Dry Creek 230 normally, you have to seat it so you crimp over the driving band. Seated to the crimp groove the OAL is to long for the Taurus.

It's a real shame since it's a terrific bullet. twillis (not sure if he posts here or not) has written up a piece about that bullet in the Taurus Tracker if anyone is interested. http://www.handloads.com/articles/dc41-230k.htm

Offline Litefoot

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2003, 07:07:56 PM »
Thanks fellas, for the excellent info. I'm definitely gonna pick up a .41. Just need to be patient for a good deal. Do you think the Marlin 1894 in .41 will help bring the cartridge back to center stage...like what the Guide Gun did for the 45-70?
"Other evils there are that may come...Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know..."-Aragorn, King Elessar

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2003, 02:48:35 AM »
I picked up my new gun yesterday, the S&W 657.  It has the 3" magnaported bbl.  Buying over the internet made me a little nervous, but rest assured, when I got it, it was nice and tight, and in excellent shape.  I paid $450 and got the following:

the actual gun
2 speed loaders
a brown leather Galco holster with thumbreak
a black leather Bianchi Speed Scabbard holster
an extra set of Pachmyer grips
various leftover factory ammo and once fired brass (still enroute)

I hope to shoot it this weekend, I love a bargain!
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!