Author Topic: NEED SOME ADVICE  (Read 711 times)

Offline barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
NEED SOME ADVICE
« on: May 13, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »
I have an older Contender, with a .223 barrel, 6mm tcu barrel, .357 Max barrel,with a TC4pwr scope.   I want to hunt deer, black bear, possibly elk.  I don't know if I should get a 45/70 barrel for the Contender, as I don't know how much recoil, compared to a SRH .44 mag.  Also, how good is this cartridge, at , say, 150 yards. Or should I get an Encore, with a 243 barrel. Also, what brand and power of scope? Appreciate any help. Thanks
barber

Offline swampthing

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
NEED SOME ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 02:59:22 PM »
I would use that .357max barrel. That is more than enough for what you want to do.
                            I am a fan of and recomend LBT hardcast bullets. I have seen first hand the power they deliver and the devastating, near instant kills that result. A 180-185g LBT flat nose gas check, FNGC, at 1600-1800fps will sail through any of the game you listed and leave a good 1" permanent hole. If you don't cast there are a couple of places online, www.montanabulletworks and www.beartoothbullets.com that offer these. They offer basically target grade accuracy when they are sized right, probably .360", for the large and long throas of contender/encore barrels.
If you start a 185g FNGC at 1800fps and you sight in for +3" high impact @100yds you should be dead on at 150yds and less than -8" low at 200yds.
A 45-70 loaded for this type of trajectory will kick you like a mule and is not needed, even for elk.
A good test is get some old newspaper and phone books and soak them in water overnight, then line them up free standing ,about 30",  the depth of the largest animal you plan on taking and take a shot at 100 yds with a jacketed soft point bullet, then replace the paper and do the same with the hardcast LBT bullet, you will see a huge difference. Now imagine the power the hardcast delivers all the way through and how the JSP just slows down and goes shallow. Ever see an elk take a .300 mag and just walk or run away... you don't impress elk with high shock... you will if you make him hemmorhage and bleed out in a few seconds.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
NEED SOME ADVICE
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 03:36:18 AM »
I agree, a .357 Maximum should be enough for what you want to do powerwise.  The proviso would be accuracy sufficient to keep your bullets in the kill zone at whatever range you choose to shoot at.  I have no experience  with .357 Maximum potential.  An Encore in .243 Winchester would also be sufficient powerwise and should be very accurate at 150 yards and beyond.

I have a Contender in .357 Herrett with a Thompson/Center 3-9X scope.  The scope works fine but I soon found I liked it better with the magnification dialed down to no more than 6X; for me at least, any more magnification just accentuates gun movement and provides less field of view.  In one hunting situation, I found it necessary to turn the power down to 3X.

Redhawk1 seems to like Bushnell Trophy handgun scopes.  He has more Encores/Contenders than I do so he is worth listening to.  I have a 2-6X version ready to put on a 460 S&W Magnum barrel for my Encore that should be here any time.  I haven't actually used it yet, however off gun inspection indicates the optics are clear, etc. so as long as it holds up to recoil, it should work great.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
NEED SOME ADVICE
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:30:47 AM »
Oh My! I would rather get in the ring with Mike Tyson then shoot another 45/70 Contender. The recoil is absolutely brutal from a 14" 45/70. I also concur on the Max but a  magnification higher than 4x might be more useful.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline B_Koes

• Avid Poster
NEED SOME ADVICE
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 10:11:11 AM »
I would think that .357 Max would be at the minimum end of the range for what you've mentioned.  It would seem to me that a bigger case for at least a .308" diameter bullet (like a .308x444 or something similar) would be a little better choice than the .357 Max.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
NEED SOME ADVICE
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 03:33:20 PM »
Barber, I persoanlly think the 357 max might be a little light for elk, although I am sure with a good shot it would work.  If you are even thinking the recoil of a 45-70 might be too much it probably is.  This is from someone who has fired quite a few 45-70's from a compensated 12" TC.  Maybe lighter 300 gr. loads may be more pleasant, but the 460's I shot certainly weren't, and I regularly shoot an uncompensated 4-3/4" .475 Linebaugh with full power 440 grain loads.  The weight and grip design of the TC can get punishing in the 45-70.  I have heard the 445 supermag offers a worthwhile power increase without all the recoil.  Basically, shoot all you can shoot well, and I think you will be fine.  I agree in my limited experience with how well the Wide Flat Nose bullets work.  I personally feel them to be superior to jacketed.  Good luck, have fun!