Author Topic: Have a tec. question  (Read 508 times)

Offline Huddleup

• Trade Count: (0)
Have a tec. question
« on: May 13, 2006, 01:51:53 PM »
I have a 20 GA 3" full choke Pardner-Model SB1 that I want to make a "truck gun" that will shoot slugs and shot shells.

1. How can I easly put sights on this gun for slugs (or are they needed)? Will a williams peep sight work for my application the one that is popular on 45 70 or do I need something else? I would prefer not having to do any gunsmithing since I don't know any gunsimth.

2. Do I need to cut off the barrel because it is a full choke?

3. Or would it be better to just get a different gun.

Thank you for any help

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Have a tec. question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
Quote from: Huddleup
I have a 20 GA 3" full choke Pardner-Model SB1 that I want to make a "truck gun" that will shoot slugs and shot shells.

1. How can I easly put sights on this gun for slugs (or are they needed)? Will a williams peep sight work for my application the one that is popular on 45 70 or do I need something else? I would prefer not having to do any gunsmithing since I don't know any gunsimth.

2. Do I need to cut off the barrel because it is a full choke?

3. Or would it be better to just get a different gun.

Thank you for any help

Huddleup,

1. Sorry, but there just isn't an easy fix for sights short of drilling and tapping. The good thing is they are not needed for close range shooting (under 50 yards) if you know the POI.

2. No, you can shoot foster slugs through a full choke. They have the rifling in them to swage down through the various chokes.

3. That is a question you will have to answer for yourself. You could send your receiver in to H&R/NEF for a Tracker 1 (smooth bore) barrel, it has the sights installed and can probably be bought for less than having a smith install sights on your current barrel. I am not sure if they still have any 20ga barrels left, but I am sure they still have the 12ga barrels. I guess you would have to call to be sure. It would have a cylinder bore that would shoot open patterns with your shotshells, but would be more accurate with slug loads.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Have a tec. question
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 03:57:45 AM »
Huddleup,
What length is the barrel you have now?    If you want it real short, less than 22" you could have it cut and the bead replaced for around $50, maybe less at Gander.  If 22" is short enough for ya, then you could go to Wally World and pick up a Youth 20ga w/Mod choke for less than $100.  Many have found that a Mod choke shoots slugs as good as a cyl. bore.  It just a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend and if you want a shotgun that is really custom.  If the open sights is a big thing for you, then the Tracker I barrel from the factory is the way to go.  That's gonna end up costing you close to $80 by the time you are done.  If I remember correctly, is about $47 for the Tracker I barrel, $15 fitting, $10 shipping and then whatever it costs you to ship the receiver to H&R.  Pretty close to $80, maybe more.  You just have to decide what ya want and go from there.  Good Luck

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Have a tec. question
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 04:01:50 AM »
I don't know if they are available for accessory barrels yet, but, one of the new models that came out this year is a 20ga youth(22") with choke tubes.  No vent rib or frills, sure would be an option if you decide to send in for a barrel.  You may be able to find that whole gun or get it ordered.  It comes with a synthetic stock.  Just another option you might want to look at.

I found it in the new catalog....SB1-25C...it has the nickle(Topper) receiver and synthetic stocks.

About as good as it gets for an "Out of the Box" truck gun.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"