Author Topic: sp-101 vs smith 60  (Read 1731 times)

Offline nada1

• Trade Count: (0)
sp-101 vs smith 60
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:41:56 AM »
New to the board but have a simple question....does anyone here carry the sp-101 in 2 1/4 bbl in their pocket?

Retired leo after 25 years an no longer wish to lug around by glock(s) and everything else I have is automatic, I have been carrying the Kel tec 380 and have a new single stack 9 kel tec on order, just have the urge to buy something in the meantime.

Several post on here say the ruger is to large for pocket carry, but it is less then 1/4 inch longer then the smith, I know the weight is 10oz more, but I am a big boy and love the ease of pocket carry.  I know all the "I have an iwb or owb or shoulder etc etc"  Just asking about pocket carry.  

I am a smith fan in the 60 and 642 but just am very unsure about that lock.  Missouri where I live, and now Kansas (just next door) both now have ccw in place, so the old saying, just find a good used one dosent work here in KC.  Called 14 local gun shops and 9 pawn shots on Sat.  there are none to be found, and was told many time "if we get one in, its sold before I can make up the tag"...nothing to be found on Gunbroker.com.    sooooo...is pocket carry with the ruger something that can be done with success?  and since I am just getting back to revolvers (41 autos in collection-0 wheel guns) am I blowing this lock thing way out of size?

Thanks in advance
                          and stay safe

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:47:44 PM »
To be honest, I've never carrired one in a pocket, but I did own a Ruger 101 and liked it very much.  I traded it years ago, I'm sad to say.  If you don't mind the extra weight, go for it!  They are fine revolvers and are tough as nails.  Smiths are great, too, but not as strong as the Rugers, in my opinion.

PS- for what it's worth, my buddy carries his in his back pocket with a shirt over the top and is comfortable and concealed

Offline single action

• Avid Poster
sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »
Im a big fan of the sp101 the one I carry is the 3 1/16" model. I usually carry it in the right hand pocket of my overalls ( I am such a hick!) when im off duty. As to not being able to find a used one, try hitting a few gun shows in your area, and failing that, take a road trip to some of the smaller towns between KC and say,. springfield. If all else fails, bass pro in springfield had one in there case about 2 weeks ago. Sorry, mines not for sale........And NEVER will be! Did I mention I'm a big fan of the sp101? lol

Offline Old Griz

sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:53:29 AM »
:cb2: I agree with Single Action. My wife has a 3" SP101. She keeps saying she wants a .40 cal Glock, and I keep hoping that she will get one so I can have the SP101.

They make a 2.25" with a bobed (ms?) hammer that would be perfect for a big boy's pocket.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Bob

sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »
SP-101 with the 2.25" barrel will carry just fine in the front pocket - jeans, dockers, etc.  It's my preferred way to carry this model. I also like the appendix IWB carry, but pocket carry just works for me.  The weight translates to better recoil control for me. I did change the grips to Uncle Mike's boot grips. They tend to conceal better in the front pocket and they give me better recoil control. I use a Galco pocket holster. Have an Uncle Mike's in size 3, it's ok, but I prefer the Galco. If I need another pocket holster I'll make my own.
Bob

Offline nrifenbark

sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 02:08:32 PM »
I like the SP-101 and have the 3 1/16 inch .357 model.  They are heavy but feel solid as a rock and shoot well.  I am not a big guy but the grips are small for my hand -- OK but not quite right.  I put Herret grips on it and liked that a lot better but that sorta defeats the concealed carry (in a pocket) possibilities.  You should put one in your hand with the stock grips before you buy though as you may or may not find the factory configuration comfortable.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 03:22:28 PM »
I've been looking at the SP 101's too.  I'm leaning more toward them because they are so solid.  I bought my wife a S&W 637 in 38 special +P and its great too.  But I just like the way the Ruger feels.  In the 2.25" barrel conceals quite well.  I too have had difficulty finding used S&W's or 101's.  In addition to Gun Broker you might also try Auction Arms or GunsAmerica.  I've also looked at Gemini Customs - they do some neat things with the 101's.  Good luck!   :D

Chuck :cb1:

Offline Jon_E

sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:45:43 PM »
nada1

I know what you mean, carried Glock myself and don't care to any longer... sold it and purchased a nice .45 ACP Taurus Tracker for the trail and am now looking at the SP101 for personal carry.. only thing is can't decide in the 2 1/4" or the 3" barrel length models...  :roll:

2.25" http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976580095.htm
3" http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976580096.htm
Jon

Lifes funny.... you can sleep off a drunk, but you cant sleep off ugly.

Offline Rscout6945

Re: sp-101 vs smith 60
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:55:38 PM »
I have both the 2 1/2 DAO and the 3 1/4" models and I have to say go with the 3 1/4" model.  The little bit of extra barrel does nothing to the way it conceals but means alot to the feel and recoil of the pistol.

I just had a set of adjustable sight put on it by cylinder and slide and love them.  I feed it a steady dose of 357 mag 125gr Federals (C357B) and never had a problem.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that in good.-George Washington  Semper Fi!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 02:44:38 AM »
nada1:  the 101 is a rock solid heavy little chunk of metal and a bit too much for pocket carry for me.  My favorite is a S&W, but the M38, the Airweight Bodyguard.  Mine is not +P rated but the new ones are.  I do not use +Ps ad I do not see any value to them in short barrelled revolvers - I just use the old Winchester factory load with a 200 gn swc and they are very accurate in my snubbie.  My pocket holster carries that snubbie discreetly and comfortably.  The Ruger is way too heavy for me.  The nice thing about the M38 with the concealed hammer is that you can use it sa or da.  If you can't find a used one (M60), which is also quite a little chunka stuff and may have been not treated well, think about a new M38.  The price twixt a used 60 and a new M38 can't be that much.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 12:48:22 PM »
My usual carry gun is a Sig 220 (I like the .45), but on ocassion I carry a model 60 in .357.  Other than the fact that you are limited to 5 shots it is an excellent carry gun, and easy to conceal in the front pocket of jeans or slacks.  My model 60 is equiped with the crimson trace laser sight (grips) and shoots 3-3 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards.  Not bad for an old blind man.

Offline Dan Cash

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »
My choice is the Smith 642.  In a pocket, in waist band, in a sack.  It is always with me unless dress code is such that I can use a 1911.  I feed it 180 and 200 gr hand loads, one of which flat anchored a crippled car hit deer with a neck shot.

Offline Omaha-BeenGlockin

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 12:21:00 AM »
I like my SP101 --but can't imagine carrying it in my pocket---its a lunker. 2.25 DAO

Have the Hogue rubber grips on it now---but might try someting else in an effort to get its overall size smaller.

Offline ruger and me

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 04:52:35 AM »
The SP-101 weighs about 2.5 oz more than a stainless 2" bbl. Model 60 .357 per the factory specs.  It will fit in a pocket if you are of larger stature.  I have one with a Kramer pocket holster and it fits most of my jeans and such.  Partially this will depend upon what type of clothes you wear.  Mine has a Hogue wood grip; I usually carry it in a pancake holster, though.  There are shorter grips available such as ones from Badger and Eagle that probably would be better for pocket carry.  The lightest of the all steel small frame .357s was the Colt Magnum Carry at about 20 oz but it had a larger dia. cylinder.

Offline Snowman366

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 08:09:29 AM »
SP-101 with the 2.25" barrel will carry just fine in the front pocket - jeans, dockers, etc.  It's my preferred way to carry this model. I did change the grips to Uncle Mike's boot grips. They tend to conceal better in the front pocket and they give me better recoil control. I use a Galco pocket holster.

+1

My SP-101 has the bobbed hammer, though, and I put a set of Pachmayr compact grips on it. Very easy-to-live-with.