Author Topic: Managing Colt Pocket Police  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Managing Colt Pocket Police
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:19:40 AM »
I've had a bit of trouble with my Uberti Colt 1862 Pocket Police.

15 to 17 grains of 3F seems about right, but I can't make cigarette paper cartridges work because there doesn't seem to be enough room to get them in.  I thought .375 balls were too small so I got a LEE .380 mould.  They are TOO LARGE!

Here's the real kicker.  I have some RWS #55 caps, #10 size, but a little taller.  On firing, a bit of cap goes straight down into the gap by the hammer.  It imediately locks everything up.  To free it I turn the pistol over and wiggle the hammer, and shake the gun until the fragment drops out.  I don't even get the chance to do the upwards flip cocking manoeuvre to keep the caps out!

I will try Ruger OA nipples next, with #11 caps.  Does anyone have any tips to keep these tiny things tickin'?

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
colt pocket police
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:17:54 PM »
Same gun same problem.  With No 11 CCI caps.    I tried some old CVA brass caps, they stuck to the nipples just fine,,,,,, a little too stuck, had to scrape em off with a knife.   If anyone has the cure, please post.  Otherwise it is a great little gun.

Offline wilded

• http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/
    • Wild Ed's Texas Outdoors
Managing Colt Pocket Police
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 03:03:04 PM »
replace the nipples. :-)
Make time for the important things in life.
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/
Ed Thomas

• Contributor
second test; CCI #10 caps
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:52:34 PM »
Ed;   I've ordered some Ruger nips.  I found some CCI #10 caps in my Gatherin's.  (What me Troublin calls JUNK!)

They don't fall IN the action, but they do fall OFF!  It seems they are a tad larger than the RWS #55's.  I guess I'll have to tweak them prior to capping.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
Colt police
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:24:58 AM »
Ruger Nipple will fit?

• Contributor
Thread sizes for nipples
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:50:29 PM »
Long Caribiner;  I have done it on my Uberti '51 Navy.  I works well.  I checked the Thunderridge site. (BTW, a great site that I just discovered through a discussion on CASCITY forums, the DARKSIDERS DEN)  They state that All Ubertis take #12 x 28 threaded nipples, as do Rugers.  Piettas take 6 x .75mm.

Offline ashtekk

Re: Managing Colt Pocket Police
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »
I shoot the pocket navy and have the same problem on occaision.  I have started to squeeze the caps a little and that seems to put a light crimp and it helps them stay on, but not too tight.  The other thing I read about and will try is that they used to raise the gun into the air during cocking after each shot so that the spent caps would fall off.  otherwise a cool little weapon.

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:21:24 PM »
UH, OH. The Rugers have sae threads and you will find you need metric sized. Then there is always the height issue too. I am sure Treso makes nipples for your 1862 and they take #10 Remington caps. I have bought Treso nipples from Buffalo Arms. See what they have. The thing that makes the Treso work so well is the smaller flash hole. After firing, the caps aren't so easily blown back.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 05:18:36 AM »
Ruger cones work so well on my Uberti police that I probably won't even bother with Thunder Ridge.  Someone else, somewhere else, also noted the SAE/Metric difference, but it doesn't seem enough to stop them from working well!

Offline Flint

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 08:03:03 AM »
Uberti also used metric threads (M6x.75) before they made the Colt 2nd generation parts.  They switched to #12-28 for the Colts. (even though the original Colts were .225-32).

Incidently, the #12-28 translates to M5.5x.90, so it could be considered metric as well, though not a standard DIN or ISO screw thread.

I have used Ruger nipples in several Ubertis, though I made and installed .01 to .015 thick shim washers under them to reach the hammer, as the Ruger has a slightly shorter cone.  Lately, however, I favor the Treso nipple, available from Thunder Ridge.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »
Please allow me stand corrected. Flint is my authority any day when it comes to C&Bs. Pardon me please. I was thinking of the Uberti model.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA