Author Topic: new encore barrel  (Read 470 times)

Offline gunoil

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
new encore barrel
« on: May 16, 2006, 01:23:10 PM »
looking to get a barrel fore the encore :grin: got a few in mind .6mm tc .7mmtc . and 6mm-30-30  is this round like the 30 herrett?? i'have a herrett.how long is the case fore the 6mm 30?? got a few bullets fore the 6mm did have a 243 win sold it about 2 years ago.. here can i'find info on this  case??? got a pile of 30-30 win brass...thanks WORM :D  :roll:
WORM

Offline PaulS

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: new encore barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 10:26:29 AM »
Quote from: gunoil
looking to get a barrel fore the encore :grin: got a few in mind .6mm tc .7mmtc . and 6mm-30-30  is this round like the 30 herrett?? i'have a herrett.how long is the case fore the 6mm 30?? got a few bullets fore the 6mm did have a 243 win sold it about 2 years ago.. here can i'find info on this  case??? got a pile of 30-30 win brass...thanks WORM :D  :roll:

6mm 30 is a 30-30 necked down to 6mm. There is also an AI version with the sharper shoulder angle and less taper to the case. Both have more powder capacity than the 30 Herrett and can use heavier bullets better. The 6mm 30 is capable of just under 243 Winchester velocities (over 3000 fps) with 85 grain bullets in a 24 inch barrel - so it would be close to the 243 fired in a pistol length barrel as well. The AI version wil hold a few more grains of powder and I would say is every bit capable of 243 power and velocity. When forming cases you will probably have to turn the case necks because when you size them down the metal gets thicker - never evenly - so you turn them to a uniform thickness. I don't know of any factory barrels in this caliber so you will need to get a 6mm tcu barrel and a 30-30 extractor. Then have the chamber reamed to 6mm-30. Have a set of dies made and then its just size, trim, load and shoot.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.