Author Topic: Cabela's 4.5 x 14 Alaskan Guide scope  (Read 948 times)

Offline northern hunter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Cabela's 4.5 x 14 Alaskan Guide scope
« on: May 17, 2006, 02:32:07 PM »
:D Hey guys I just picked up a rifle and it has this Cabela's scope on it,it has the varmit reticles,all those circles.
Any body have any instructions for this reticle?
Anybody know who makes these scopes?
List price is 399.00 on sale for this model,is this a good scope compared to a 400 dollar Bushnell or Leupold?
thanks for the help.
Frank :D

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
some one must have an opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:46:54 PM »
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Frank

Offline 379 Peterbilt

Re: Cabela's 4.5 x 14 Alaskan Guide scope
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:35:05 PM »
Cabela's scope..... Anybody know who makes these scopes?

I once called Cabelas and talked to a product associate (not the order takers) asking the same thing. They will not tell you who makes their glass. The guy said he didnt even know himself.

I have never owned a Cabelas scope, so I dont know much about them at all, however, you do get what ya pay for with optics, so my guess is that @ $400 list, it likely compares with other $400 glass or at least ballpark.

Obviously, it is hard for many folks to compare Cabelas glass side by side with other scopes unless one lives near a Cabelas store. I would get some time in with yours, then go to your favorite sporting goods store and pick up an Elite or VXIII and look through them for comparison purposes.

Also, judging by the fact that Cabelas doesnt put their name on cheap crap, I'd say you have a quality riflescope. JMO

Offline kudzu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 01:14:35 PM »
Have a 6.5x20x52(30mm tube) scope from cabela's Alasken Guide series. A great scope clear and bright. I thought about a scope like yours for my 300rum for out west elk, but the 2.9 eye-relief and 300rum don't go together. PM if you don't like as I would still like to try one.

Can't find out either who makes them for Cabelas. Did find a Kenco Optics sticker on one. Anyone ever heard of Kenco Optics.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 05:20:54 AM »
There are so many true name brand scopes out there in the $200-$400 range, that I can't ever see myself buying a relabled/repackaged Cabela scope.

Zachary

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 03:07:07 AM »
My experience with Cabela's has generally been very good, so if you are looking for a manual for that scope I would expect that they would supply you with one.  Their customer service number is 800-237-8888.  I generally have found that Cabela's matches the quality and the price pretty well, so I'd believe it is likely a very good scope.  Many mid-priced scopes are a mixture of multi-sourced parts, (and that isn't necessarily a bad thing either) so I would judge the scope by its performance and the way the supplier backs its products.  I hope it's a good one for you. :D
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline MS10point

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 04:56:43 PM »
I have an old Tasco "Euro Class" 30 mm tube 3x12x52 that I bought 20 years ago. It is identical to the Alaskan guide 3x12x52. I don't know about your scope but I would bet that the 3x12x52 is made by Tasco. It has been a good scope but not for what they cost now.
See Ya!
TP
10Pt
When life gives you lemons.....go to deer camp!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 06:15:23 PM »
All those little circles is the szme reticle that I have in an old Herter's scope.  Been trying to find out for years who made it so I can have new gas put in it.  It started fogging a few years back.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline northern hunter

• Avid Poster
thanks for your opionions
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »
Thanks guys  :D ,If I dont like it then it will be for sale,going to try it on my Browning Lowwall 243.
thanks again