Author Topic: Simple way to mechanically center a scope  (Read 937 times)

Offline Gardener

• Trade Count: (0)
Simple way to mechanically center a scope
« on: March 31, 2003, 05:36:15 AM »
Need a refresher or reminder on how to re-center the reticles (0-0) in a scope. have two leupolds that have been on several guns and readjusted and readjusted.

would like to put the W&E back at center before reinstalling on other stuff.

thanks for your guidance.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 08:49:20 AM »
Tommy,

One way to do this, is to turn your adjustments all the way in.  Count the number of clicks as you move it all the way out.  Divide total number of clicks by 2.  Turn all the way in again and then count your clicks until you are half way out.  Understand?
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Gardener

centering the reticle in scopes.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 09:41:10 AM »
Thanks Jon,
i remembered something like that. just thought had to do run them in a stairstep (staggered or alternate) fashion- or if it was ok to do each (W & E) individually until completed.  
thnaks again.

Offline Gardener

Centering a scope?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 01:34:22 PM »
for practice, have attemped to center a 4x ted williams scope. (rimfire). still bright after all these years.

bottomed out the W&E screws, then began to max them in the other direction (out). they just kept unscrewing.  is it the product/brand, or should i have listenend for a "detent"?

anyways, placed a bit of teflon/rem oil on the screws and placed back in the scope tube.

this was for practice. i dare not touch an expensive scope until i better understand. perhaps the best answer is to return to factory for their assistance.

thanks.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 02:50:13 PM »
Tommy,

There should be a natural stop at the end of the windage and elevation adjustments.   I found this for you that might help you.  This is according to Bushnell:

Centering the Reticle

It is wise to check the center of optical axis before mounting.  Do this by placing the scope in a solid V-Block (cardboard box with two slots).  While looking through the scope in a normal viewing position, carefully rotate the scope.  If the target moves in a circle larger than 1" from center (at 25 yards) in relation to intersection of crosshairs, reset windage and elevation adjustments.  Remove adjustment caps. Set each adjustment to midpoint and recheck for centering.  If target still rotates, use adjustments to correct.

I don't know if you understand this, because it is a little confusion, but hopefully this works for you.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!