Author Topic: Think'n about that Remington  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Think'n about that Remington
« on: May 19, 2006, 08:42:14 PM »
I've got that Remington 44 caliber cap and ball revolver on my mind.  A guy at the range had one and sez its made by Uberti and is highly regarded.  Does anybody here have experience with that gun?  Should I pass on it or move ahead with all deliberate speed?
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 03:07:35 PM »
Depends, they are pretty highly regarded, but not by me.  I like the colt style better, they fit my hands better, are more natural pointers and handle fouling better.  That said the Remington is a more advanced design and eigther will work and it all comes down to personal preference.

did you try shooting it?  That will answere most of your questions rite there.  I find the Remingtons grip area too cramped to comfortably shoot.

Uberti is considered the top maker of replicas, but every cap gun I've got I've had to do something to it to get it to work rite, whether that was just changing nipples or milling a bur out of the hammer slot in the frame.  Uberti's as a general rule I've had less trouble out of.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
I have not had to mess with any of them yet.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:54:08 AM »
I have owned several cap and ball revolvers over the years and have not done a thing to them other than get a spare cylinder.  I have read of how many of the members here modify their guns, and after a 10 year break with just modern handguns I recently bought an Uberti 1851 Colt in .36 and a Pietta 1860 Army.

I probably will move on a Pietta 1858 Remington in a few weeks, but after all these years of just shooting modern guns I have to confess that the triggers on my two Colts could use some work.  Granted the guns have only seen around 45 rounds (1851), and 90 rounds (1860 Army) put through them, so there could be a mechanical break in issue instead of a trigger job to deal with at this time.  I have always been happy with the stock nipples, what advantage is there with the after market nipples?

Thanks.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 07:40:45 PM »
Mainly I change to tresso nipples to be able to handle #11 caps, #10's are hard to find around here and the tressoo's work great with Remington #11's.

Surprisingly the triggers on my Ubertie's I've had to do no work, a couple of my Pietta's I had to stone out creep, but they wern't that bad.  The most I've had to do to one was a Pietta 62 police, it had a bur in the hammer slot that when they milled the fram aparently the mill chiped and left a bur the whole length of one side I had to use my mill to remove to allow the hammer to fall far enough.  That has since become my favorite gun.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Flint

Nipples
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:03:19 AM »
The advantage of Treso nipples is uniformity, they are all the same size and length, which the original Italian nipples are not, and the flash hole is smaller, making a hotter flame, and less blowback.  The blowback is a big contributer to caps blowing off into the action and jamming the revolver, especially Colt types.  Treso nipples allow the action to be lightened more before having ignition problems.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Presidio

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 02:28:29 AM »
I have a pair of Pietta 1858 Remingtons in .44 that I have recently converted to the R & D 45 lc.  This are my Main Match pistols.

Even when I was shootin' BP outta them, I was usin' 30gr Pyrodex pellets with NO wad and a .454 lead ball with a Remington # 10 cap.  I have had no problems and cleaning was easily done in about 1/2 hour each.

I now use a 200gr 45lc - and they still perform outstandingly. :wink:
One Riot - One Ranger
SASS # 40582      RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, Texas
Texas Historical Shootist Society, Columbus, Texas