Author Topic: Death Wish  (Read 1177 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Death Wish
« on: May 21, 2006, 09:01:13 AM »
So I was watching Death Wish III, which I hadnt seen for years, and he brought out the .475 Wildey Magnum, which I am extremely impressed with for a semi-automatic pistol.  Does anyone have any experience shooting this monster?  It's funny how everyone thinks about the "big boy" of the Desert Eagle .50AE, when there is something bigger.  Being as it is the biggest...  I know I will have to get one.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Sir Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Death Wish
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:51:58 PM »
Several months ago "Gun Test" did a review of the 475 Wildey Magnum and found it lacking. Not sure what that means since lately I've been finding myself disagreeing with their opinions more & more.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline S.S.

Death Wish
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 08:52:36 AM »
I never had a chance to fire a Wildey, But the old .44 Automag
was a blast! I do know a fella' that has one of the Wildeys,
But no one has ever fired it but him! He intends to keep it that way.
Something about it being bad luck or something. :roll:
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline scgunsmith

Death Wish
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
I had one, the weapon was a joke as far as accuracy and dependabilty. I finally traded it off for a colt peacemaker. I think I came out on top, anyway the peacemaker was more dependable :)

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
Death Wish
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 06:23:45 AM »
Care to expand on why it was a joke? I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just curious to hear about any problems you had
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Questor

Death Wish
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 07:06:36 AM »
I have some gun magazines from that era and the reviews were not flattering at all.  I don't think it's a coincidence that these big semi-autos have largely disappeared.  Reliability and durability issues probably did more to kill them than anything else.

The most touching such review was for the Automag, as written by J.D. Jones. Jones was very diplomatic in telling the reader that it was a piece of junk, but in as kind a way as possible. I did not envy his task and it must have been difficult for him to write.
Safety first

Offline rockbilly

Death Wish
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 12:22:16 PM »
:D How about a .460 Nitro Express on a Thompson Encore frame.  An elephant gun, but I don't want to fire it.  I seen a video of a guy test firing it, sure looks like a handful. :wink:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Death Wish
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 01:32:33 AM »

It is quite a handgun...Here's a link that gives some more background information...I found it pretty interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.475_Wildey_Magnum
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Mike357mag

• Avid Poster
The gun should be made out of pot metal
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 02:17:26 AM »
The gun should be made out of pot metal so it would not confuse people into not thinking it is junk.  Jamming problems go away if you adjust the gas chamber properly and clean it every 50 rounds.  Last I saw ammo was about $80.00 for 50.  The slide has very sharp edges people have cut themselves just looking at one in a gun store.  My brother has sold three of them in his store only one of the customers shot his on a regular basis the others probably still have their first box of ammo.  I much more prefer the 454's over this toy.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Death Wish
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 12:30:46 PM »
I've never shot one, but I remember when they first came out, Dean Grennell tested one.  He was shooting ammo loaded per Wildey Moore's specs, pretty hot stuff.  It had a bit of an ejector problem.....it worked, but it threw the cases straight back, and was bouncing them off Dean's forehead.  He likened it to being conked in the noggin with a shot glass every time he pulled the trigger.  Needless to say, his groups weren't as good as they might have been, he was kind of distracted! :roll:

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?