Author Topic: range qualification  (Read 481 times)

Offline urrlord

• Trade Count: (0)
range qualification
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:22:48 AM »
i'm a correctional officer and a few days ago we got to have our once a year fun--shooting range.well this year the state of georgia decided that all law enforcement will shoot the same basic range course.up until now we used 3,7,10 ,15 ,20 yard free standing shoot with 2 shooting from cover positions at  the 20 line.this year it is 3,7,15,20 yard positions.20 -2 positions from cover,15- standing and kneeling,7-2 shoot-move-shoot positions and 3- free standing including 2"failure to halt/obey" called shots ( we call'em headshots).we also used smaller targets this year and a new ready position where the gun is held against the chest pointing forward(looks really stupid).the guns used were sw 38's w/158 gr swc's and speedloaders.after an hour and a half of lecture from the new range officer. who told us that it was an easy course while pointing out that no one had yet shot a 100,and that he would buy lunch for whoever did.some not so subtle pressure.i usually shot well on the old course but i kept quiet.after an hour of dry fire w/dummy rounds we got live ammo.after the 30 rounds were fired and i was scored by one of the instructors--98.6 i dropped 2 rds in the 8 score area the other 28 rds were 10 pointers.the new range instructor gave it  a second look while walking by.when i turned in my weapon he said he would have to check his records but thought that i had the high score out of the 5 prisons who train there.  hehehehe :twisted:

Offline Dusty Miller

range qualification
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 06:33:26 AM »
That's good shoot'n for sure.  Now, what state and what prison so I can avoid pursuing my criminal life style around you? :-D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
range qualification
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:24:27 AM »
I think he said Georgia so i will stay from the peach state for
my criminal activities too... :P
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Qaz

• Contributor
range qualification
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 01:18:42 AM »
Congradulations on a job well done. Not to take anything away from your acheivement, but wouldn't it have been a more realistic and accurate test of skills had you used your issued weapon and not had an hour of dry fire practice?

Offline Old Griz

range qualification
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:01:20 AM »
:cb2: If they really wanted to be realistic, they should have used inmates for targets! (Did I really say that out loud?  :eek: )

My firearms instructor taught us the "gun to the chest" method you mentioned. He said the FBI teaches this. When clearing a building, it keeps the gun from being knocked away, and since it is square with your shoulders, you can fire (two/three times) as you bring your arms straight out. The only FBI movie I have ever seen, however, where the agent is actually doing this is Jody Foster in "Silence of the Lambs."
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline urrlord

range qualification
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 11:16:25 AM »
yep- georgia dept pf corrections.and we do use s&w 38's as issue weapons they are probably 70's and early 80's vintage weapons.horrible trigger pulls on most of them. i forgot to mention our class had 18 officers,10 failed the first  round and had to reshoot.5 failed the reshoot and will have to go back another day.passing score is a 70.next 2 years it will go up 5 pts a year.if you  do not pass you lose your peace officer certification,and your job.what i have never understood is that our issued duty ammo is 158 gr round nose.which has a bad rep for over penetration.i've asked our instructors why we use it and usually get a blank look in return.because we are always stressed to look out for the publics safety when we have to shoot,rn will go thru a fleeing felon and possibly strike a bystander and a good hollow point will not.i think it is a publicity/legal dept decision,round nose =old fashion good,hollow point=new and bad.