Author Topic: AMMO Question  (Read 800 times)

Offline Ghostrider_23

• Trade Count: (0)
AMMO Question
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:42:48 AM »
:D
Hey gentlemen, I have come to you all the experts to ask yet another question. :eek: I broke down and bougth a wonderful Para Ordanance Carry 45 ACP. It has a 3" barrel and is all stainless steel.  8) Does anyone have any recommendations for defense ammo??? Whatgrain would you use and brand. :biggun: I know I need to go to the range and shoot different brands but I was wondering whatshould I go out and buy first. :agree:  :noway: Should I stick to a 230 grain round or 200 or even 180. :idea3: Could anyone give me some good roads to start with. :?

This is the best Forum and you guys are great. Thanks
 :bye:

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
AMMO Question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 11:48:17 AM »
You will most likely get a lot of opinions on this one.  First off, make sure that the ammo will run in your pistol.  There are many fine ammo choices Federal Hydrashocks, Speer Gold Dot, Cor-Bon, just to name a few.  

I'd start with some inexpensive ammo to break-in your new pistol.  This process can take a few hundred rounds.  Then try some of the defensive stuff.  Just my 2c.

Good luck

Offline RedneckRepairs

AMMO Question
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 11:49:15 AM »
i understand gold dots are more or less optomised for short barrells , and cor bon has some snubby loads if your feeling rich , I personaly have been happy with what 230 hydra shocks does out of our detonics tho and they are avalable almost anywhere

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
AMMO Question
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:26:01 PM »
To break it in and verify that it is going to be reliable, get 200 rounds of cheap ball ammo and run it through it.  After that get a good defense ammo and make sure it will feed it reliably before depending on it for serious social occasions.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline S.S.

AMMO Question
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 05:00:11 AM »
The Heavier .45 ACP rounds are not known for great expansion,
The Velocity to cause a lot of expansion just is not there.
The Hydra-Shok is about the only one I have found that will expand at non plus P pressures. Some of the lighter 185 grain rounds will expand pretty well though. You are just going to have to find the one your gun likes. If my 1911 is not stuffed with Hydra-Shoks, I simply use
the old 230 grain FMJ Ball in it. I have a great deal of respect for the old
war horse FMJ round and do not feel under gunned with it in any way.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Ghostrider_23

New Ammo
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 11:01:59 AM »
there is some new aamo out :-D It's made by Speer Golddot FOR SHORT BARRELS :eek: Yes Speer has made some new aamo to the market. Some I picked some up. 8) Speer made this ammo so that it will expand out of a short barrel gun like the 3" models.  :twisted: This is just an FYI for those of you in the same boat I am in.

:bye:

Offline PaulS

AMMO Question
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 11:56:55 PM »
Speer still sells their "Lawman series" ammo and it would be a good choice. They have a 200 grain HP with a 1/4 inch cavity that will open up at the velocities of the round.
Winchester sells their Silver Tip ammo that is designed to open up at its velocities too.
With that being said I just want to remind you that the 45 ACP was designed for self defense against a 300 pound assailant at a dead run (no pun intended). It was designed to stop a 200 pound soldier with a 100 pound pack charging you with a bayonet. That was with a 230 FMJ ball round at 850 fps. It IS a good self defense round with a lot of history to back it up. If I was going to carry an auto, the 1911 with ball ammo would be as good a choice as I could make for a self-defense auto-loader. I got rid of the one that I owned, a combat commander from Colt because I don't like chasing brass and it had a bad habit of failing to return to battery every 200 rounds or so. I must have missed a burr on something after I got it. It had fired less than 20 rounds when I got it and it would fail to return to battery after nearly every shot. I found burrs on most of the moving parts and honed everything. I got it shooting well and thought I would like it until I found myself chasing brass all over the range and losing some of it down the storm drains. And just when I thought it was working it would act up. Don't trust the auto-loaders, never did and probably never will. I have never had any failures with my Ruger revolver and I probably never will - so I carry a 357 Magnum with 140 grain HP at 1464 fps. The combination is accurate, and I have a lot of confidence in its ability to do anything I need it to do out to and beyond 75 yards.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Old Griz

AMMO Question
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 06:59:32 PM »
:cb2: I read somewhere that the .45 ACP Hydra-Shok was the first (only?) round to pass ALL of the FBI standards, including windshield penetration. Now I don't know what all the standards actually are, the ad didn't say, and of course, Federal is trying to sell their ammo.

My magazine is loaded with alternating Hydra-Shoks and Gold Dots. One of them is bound to work.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Dusty Miller

AMMO Question
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 08:51:44 PM »
The Hydra Shok was hot stuff in its day but its now 20 year old technology.  It has been known to plug up after going thru heavy clothing.  Take a look at the newer stuff, particularly the DPX bullets.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!