Author Topic: Went stalkinf Roe Buck last weekend but  (Read 670 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Went stalkinf Roe Buck last weekend but
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:40:59 AM »
Didn't get one although I had the opertunity, instead  came home with a Muntjac buck carcase. However I did take a few photos of a couple of Roe Bucks and thought that the folks on the forum might enjoy seeing them :-

This is often all you can see of the Roe Deer, this is a 4pt Buck, a good 4pt Buck I might add. Mature Bucks have 6pts and some non typicals have more.

The same Buck after he decided to get up for a clean up then to browse.

he has not finished his moult yet once complete he will have a foxy red colour.

The knobbles at the base of the antlers is called Pearling and is desirable on Roe Bucks. This 4pt has excellent pearling.

This is another Buck who was also laying hidden in the grass only about 10 feet away from the  4pt buck. His one antler is still in velvet although his moult is about finished.

Photos copyright KP 2006

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 11:34:42 AM »
They look very cool ive never seen one before.
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 12:15:37 PM »
Hi There,

The Roe Deer is found though out Europe and is an ancient species. When they were excavating the tunels for the Victoria lin and about 30" to the shouldere in London the dug up a prehistoric Roe fossilized skeleton and it's just about the same as todays Roe Deer.

A Doe weighs about 35-40lbs Bucks are 45-60lbs in weight Roe stand about 30" at the shoulder. There is a seperate season for Bucks and Does, the Buck season started April first and ends October 31st, Does are from November 1st until Febuary 28th. We have no bag limits. All Deer species except two of the six huntable ones we have have close seasons, Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer have no close season so we have at least 3 huntable species at any time of the year. The law in England requires that a rifle be used with a minimum muzzle energy 1700 ftlbs and be of .240 calibre minimum, expanding bullets MUST be used that is bullets designed to expand so HP match bullets are illegal.

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 02:24:16 PM »
Quote from: Brithunter
Hi There,

The law in England requires that a rifle be used with a minimum muzzle energy 1700 ftlbs and be of .240 calibre minimum, expanding bullets MUST be used that is bullets designed to expand so HP match bullets are illegal.

Wow very strict!!!
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 02:51:39 PM »
Nice pictures Brithunter! I wonder how much a nonresident hunting licence costs :D

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 07:56:13 PM »
The Game licence required to take game costs betwen £2 & 6£ ($3:60 & $10:80 US) the low priced one lasts for 14 days, the next which costs £4 (7:20 US) last from November until the last day of July and the yearly one which runs from August to the end of July is the £6 one. You would need a visitors Permit to bring a rifle and ammunition in which need to be sorted out well in advance, give at least 4-6 months to be on the safe side and I believe some one this side needs to get that for you but I am not certain never having dealt with them before  :(

The regulations in Scotland are even dafter as they also have a minimum velocity drafted in their rules which is 2450fps which has meant that the all time classic Scottish hill cartridge the 6.5x54MS cannot not now be used as it does not meet the velocity requirements  :roll:  unless you use light bullets like 120 grain and then if stopped you would have a real argument with some dumb official or Police man who more than likely has not got the foggiest about ballistics  :(  :roll: However in Scotland you can use a .22 centrefire cartridge for the hunting of Roe Deer providing it uses a minimum bullet weight of 50 grains and produces a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000ftlbs and reaches the minimum velocity of yes you guessed it 2450fps.

So in Scotland the .303 British cartridge is extremely borderline and can only be used with 150 grain bullets as the 180grain ones are not fast enough  :roll:  cartridges like the 35 Remington and 32 Winchester Special are illegal for deer and they are not powerful enough according to some pen pusher who has probably never hunted or shot in their lives  :evil:  The trouble for visitors is that there is no public land hunting here in the UK therefore you have to pay to use some ones land or lease. Even the Forrestry Commision which is a government department charges to use their (our) land and you have to be accompanied by one of their rangers. The next thing although the licence is cheap the costs of outings are certainly not and due to the European influence trophy fees are applied. The estate I was stalking on charges £75 ($135 US) for a Roe Buck, medal winning heads cost much more up to around £600 ($1080 US) and then if you want the meat you have to pay for the carcase otherwise it's sold to the Game Dealer and the money goes to the estate and that's all on top of the fees to the stalker who holds the lease. Land owners want to make the most they can it's part of their income.

Now some like the land lord where I was stalking actually do care for the land and it's wildlife and maintain the natural fauna to help the wildlife so at least some of my money actually helps to keep the woods and such so the deer have natural cover and fodder. His prices are reasonable but someplaces are a rip off. For example I wnet to one place in Scotland whilst holidaying there several years ago and they charge ridiculas amounts for Roe Bucks. A normal 6 pt Buck would cost over £500 ($900 US) a Gold meadl head would cost around $1800 US to shoot and that's on top of the stalker fees which was £60 per outing if I remember correctly. They are priced for the wealthy Europeans who are Roe mad :roll:

I am trying to find some land over which I can get permission to hunt near to where I now live but it looks like I will have to pay for that right. I did get verbal permission to shoot Pigeon ( Woodpigeon a large Dove) which is a pest to farmers here right close to home but I want a not in writing first just in case someone asks me what I am doing on that land, a note is better than just telling someone you have permission but I don't think that htere is any Deer on that property although some have been seen passing through I am told so perhaps there is hope for a few years down the line.

It's a bit like when I hunted in Missouri, the land was leased by a Hunt Club and I ahd to pay a tresspass fee which was $531 then there was the Non Resident licence which was $148 after than Antlerless tags were $7 each. On my trip in 2003 I shot a 9 point Buck and two antlerless deer, a big Doe and a Button buck. The 9 point has been mounted as ahoulder mount and my friends had the meat we couldn't eat in camp.

Hope that helps a litte.

Offline xyz

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:12:56 PM »
If you are in the London area with a few days to kill and wanted to hunt roe this may be of interest to you.

http://www.deerstalking.co.uk/index.htm

Not v cheap but not to bad if you are in the area, and they can do you a rental gun.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 11:27:18 PM »
LOL:lol: that estate is a premier one for Deer and prices. I used to live about 18 miles from it but would never hunt there as it way out of my price league.

We paid £90 for two outings, Saturdays was 5 1/2 hours long and Sundays was about 5 hours, the Muntjac Buck I shot a young one cost me £35 and I kept the carcase   :grin:   Now compare that with the Cowdray prices and length spent out stalking  :wink: The place we stalked is about the same distance from central London as Cowdray is but we were to the West rather than South. Most estate can provide an Estate rifle for a fee.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 02:08:41 AM »
Brings back some pleasant memories of some hunts i had while in Germany in the late 40`s.
  Harvested (6)  Bucks and still have some of the horns mounted on wood
   plaques.
  First one i harvested i was using a Savage 99 in .250, how ironic is that
  as i currently own a Sav 99 in .250.
   Great memories from a long time ago.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline xyz

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 12:35:01 AM »
Hi

Do you have a link or no for the place you hunt?

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 04:33:03 PM »
Hi xyz,

Sorry no there is no web site, the gamekeeper is an old boy who has nothing to do with computers. His Grandson does have a lap top but they run the lease they have on a word of mouth basis. Some years ago he used to take clients through an Hunting agency but not now as he has enough personal recomendations and returning hunters to make it work. The guy I was hunting with is down there right now trying to get his first Deer.

Being new to hunting he was a bit too slow getting himself set up conftably for the shot and so missed getting his Buck. But hen it is huntign and not shopping  :-)  the weather is good for Roe just now hot with thundery showers.