Author Topic: Dragoon Loading Lever Falling  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Rodeo Rustler

• Trade Count: (0)
Dragoon Loading Lever Falling
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:44:50 AM »
Hey All,,

I have been on hiatus from cap n ball fer a while but have recently bought a new 3rd Model Uberti Dragoon and am now as big a darksider as ever!  

When I shoot a medium load of only 30 grns in it the loading lever falls down almost every time.  I thought this was only experienced by Walker shooters.  Has anyone had this happen with a Dragoon and if so how did you fix it?  Stronger spring?

Thanks for the replies!

RR

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:42:13 AM »
ive never used a draggon but have read enough about them to know every1 says to use a bread tie and tie it up for a quick fix

Offline Full House

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 01:25:51 AM »
Had the same problem with a 2nd model Uberti Dragoon.  I filed the "V" notch deeper in the loading lever retainer and installed a stronger spring.

Works great...no problem with 50grs.
Full House

Offline long

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:34:59 AM »
Common problem.
that is usually an effective approach.  I deepend the notch on mine and then dropped a spent large pistol primer behind the catch spring.  Same effect-made the spring stronger.

Offline coltnavy36

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 04:29:25 PM »
I've got a 3rd civilian model dragoon uberti, and the lever falls on it to, when using right at about 40-45 grains to the full 50 grains with ball.
Here is how I take it: It's natural. The originals did it.
This was a problem not entirely solved back then at the time, and it was not until the navy and pocket model-type latch came about from Colt that it was solved, and that was 1850-51.
In this time, you would have seen a method of shooting in which the pistol was fired, and the left hand directly moved to shove it up while cocking for the next shot at the same time. It is just as quick as cocking one.
This would have become habit with the guys that had them.
I hear all the time, bad reviews on this, and have to keep reminding folks, that these guns, the early Colt horse pistols, are not modern Rugers.
This fact should be appreciated as historical. Not a downfall.
I would be sort of disappointed if I had a Walker or Dragoon that did not drop their levers.
It proves that Uberti, is making them as authentically as possible.
---shoot safely---
-coltnavy36-
"They REALLY lived."
     ---Secondhand Lions---

Offline Rodeo Rustler

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 05:24:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I ended up just tying a piece of elk hide around it fer now.  Looked kind of cool!  I guess it falling down does kind of add to the authenticity of it!  I may alter it to stay up in the future though...

Thanks
RR