Author Topic: Got a Night Force  (Read 417 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Got a Night Force
« on: May 25, 2006, 08:49:12 AM »
Had decided to get the Leopold 6X24X50 scope for my Weatherby .338-378.  Was talking about shooting to a young GI at the Hotel in Anchorage this week,  he is a marine Scout Sniper.  We went to the range at Fort Richardson, where he let me shoot his personal gun.  A remington 700 in .338 Rem Ultra Mag with a Night Force 3.5X15X50.  That scope was beat up, scratched, looked hard used, he told me he had taken it to Afganistan once and to Iraq twice.  He used it on his military rifle when over there.   Thought I had wanted a scope with mil dots, he told  me I did not, and he would show me later why.  He told me at 800 yards I could not see the sillouite we were shooting at with a mil dot, the mil dot would compleatly cover the target.  The NPR-2 reticle on the Night Force did not.  And he took a Leopold to the range also for comparison.  The Night Force was brighter.
  After shooting at the range we went to the Sportsman's Warehouse there in Anchorage.  The clerks there let us take both the Leopold and Night Force to the front door, (they accompanied us of course) where we could compare clearity and reticles at long ranges.  We looked at a man pumping gas out at 800 to 900 yards away with the Leopold, Night Force, and a Burris with Mil Dots.  The Mil dot covered the man compleately.

Ended up, I bought the Night Force 3.5X15X50.  Now for the mounting.  My Sniper friend advised me not to use Leopold rings.  The recoil on the .338-378 is too harsh for them, and they snap off.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
Got a Night Force
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 08:56:25 AM »
I have an NXS 5.5x22x56mm.  I think that I have the mil-dot version - the one with circles for holes I think.

Yes, the NXS is an awesome scope - great optics and definately overbuilt - and WAYY too heavy for most hunting situations.  However, in the right circumstances, it is an optimum choice.

I have mine mounted with Warne HD maxima rings.  But my rifle is a Remington Sendero SS in .300WM, which is not as hard as a kicker as your rifle.  Still, those Warne rings are steel and HD.  I would think that they should hold up well.

Zachary

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
Got a Night Force
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:20:12 AM »
I was going to offer the opinion that a 3.5-15X50mm is an awfully heavy scope for such a hard kicking rifle as a Weatherby .338-.378.  But I s'pose given Nightforce's price and the intended purpose for which their scopes are made, they're built to take a lot of hard use.  

I'd still have reservations about putting a heavy scope on to a serious recoiling rifle; but then, I don't shoot out to 900 yards.  For that matter, I can't imagine ever getting anything harder kicking than a .30 caliber magnum

Offline Zachary

Got a Night Force
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 02:17:05 PM »
The Nightforce will certainly hold the recoil from that monster cartridge.  But I don't understand why you bought such a cannon of a cartridge.  I guarantee you that the gun is going to hurt you on one end just as much as it is going to hurt the animal on the other end.  At least the animal will have a quick death....you, on the other hand, will have to deal with the pain from a separated shoulder. :)

Zachary