Author Topic: Rifled Choke Tubes on a TDC/Pardner  (Read 747 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Rifled Choke Tubes on a TDC/Pardner
« on: May 27, 2006, 12:27:31 AM »
Have any of you used a Rifled Choke Tube on your 12ga barrels with choke tubes?  Will using a rifled choke tube and sabot slugs give better accurracy and range over using Foster style slugs and an Imp. or Mod. choke tube?  Just a curious question, more than anything, as I am thinking of having a 12ga cut down to 19 or 20 inches and then tapped for choke tubes.  Thanks

Cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 05:22:00 AM »
Cookieman,

You will get better accuracy with the sabots and EXTENDED rifled choke tube. The short little flush rifled tube like in my sons 870 will impart some spin but the long tubes are way better.

True story: About 10 years ago, maybe a little more, I was at a Slug Shooting Weekend at popular Gun & Tackle. There were several Manufacturers Rep's there with all the slug guns they had to offer. The range is just outside the shop and shooting goes on all day. Browning had their A-Bolt 12ga with both the smooth bore with extended rifled tube and a fully rifled model. The Browning Rep told me that in their testing the rifled choke tube barrel consistently out performed the fully rifled barrel. This was a shock to me, because I never would have guessed that. He also said they were going to phase out the "more accurate" choke tube gun for the fully rifled gun because that is what the buying public wanted. How would you ever convince someone that the choke tube gun would actually shoot saboted ammo better than the rifled gun, short of shooting them in a side by side test? I'm sure that was the dilema that Browning had to go through too.

Now the A-Bolt shotgun is totally discontinued. :cry:

Just thought I would give you that first hand information from Brownings tests. Just make sure you get one of the EXTENDED rifled tubes that are designed for sabot slugs and I am sure you will be fine. I would not reccommend the flush rifled tube such as the 870 has unless you are shooting Brenneke Rifled Slugs, they shoot fine in my sons gun.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:16:10 PM »
Thank you, Busta!
That is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.  My Idea...not one, but two, DO ALL shotguns.  12ga and 20ga.  I just think that would be cool to have one of each in a 22" barrel.  The 12ga will have to be custom, but the 20ga can be a factory barrel or whole gun(one of the new youth models).
Cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 03:02:49 AM »
Hey Cookieman! I found what you may be looking for, this is the tube you want right here. Standard Invector is the same thread as Win-Choke. There are two offered by the same seller, you just might be able to get a steal of a deal on one, but I would bid on both if you really want one. These retailed for $50-$75 at one time, if my memory serves me right.  :? These are two different Item #'s by the same seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Browning-Rifled-Choke-Tube-Standard-Invector_W0QQitemZ7242910912QQcategoryZ73955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Browning-Rifled-Choke-Tube-Standard-Invector_W0QQitemZ7242910899QQcategoryZ73955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:34:32 AM »
Thanks for the links.  Unfortunately, by the time I checked in on my post, the auction was over.  But, the info is good to know.  I have been movin' kinda slow on getting any changes done on my shotguns as we have been putting in flowers and work got busy, too.   All the info I get from all of you here at Graybeard is goin' into the memory bank for future use.  Thanks, again.
Cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 07:10:23 PM »
Just in case you still want one, he has listed two more. Those last two went for a steal of a deal $15 and $21. Like I said, I think they retailed between $50 and $75. You have six days on these ones and nobody has bid yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7246181660&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr2_PcY_BID_IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7246181706&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr2_PcY_BID_IT
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:53:24 PM »
Hey, thanks Busta.   Not often you get a chance to try again on a bargain.  I put my E-Bay savy daughter onto this.  If it can be had cheap, she will get it done.  She has bid on stuff for me before and done a good job.  She loves her Daddy and takes care of me that way.  
Anyway, thanks.  Maybe I'll get lucky and win the bid.  
Cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"