Author Topic: Trigger pull reduction kits  (Read 412 times)

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Trigger pull reduction kits
« on: May 28, 2006, 04:18:49 AM »
I have been fooling around with Wolff spring kits in S&W revolvers lately.  So far I have done 3, 2 L frames, 1 N frame.  The L's worked fine, but the N frame experienced quite a few misfires.  The N is my falling plates competion gun, so I went back to the stock mainspring, and the problem disappeared.  The L frames were older guns, the N is new production, (ugly lock in the side, and maybe worst, CAST! hammer and trigger, UGHH!)  Anyways, could the lighter looking hollowed out hammer be part of the light firing pin strikes?

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:14:18 PM »
Less weight x less acceleration = less transfered energy, so yes, a lighter spring with a lighter hammer will do that.  Have you looked at the firing pin spring?  How much does that differ from the old to new models?  Maybe a little tweak in that area would help a little... just sounds like some playing is the best way to figure it out right.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline dubber123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:50:07 AM »
Corbanzo, thanks for the reply, the old Smiths have the pin on the hammer so no firing pin spring.  The new ones have a frame mounted hammer with a return spring.  I hadn't thought of that.  It's one more spring that the hammer has to overcome to get to the primer.  I went back to the full power mainspring, and actually shot my best revolver time ever saturday at the twice monthly competion.  I know I could shave a few tenths off with the lighter trigger, but until I figure out how to make it reliable, I'll have to learn to deal with the heavy trigger.  Thanks!