Author Topic: How's the weather???  (Read 750 times)

Offline slide-flipper

• Trade Count: (0)
How's the weather???
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:11:13 AM »
Let's see... it's the last day of MAY... I'm enjoying seeing my breath today and throwing an extra blanket on the bed the last couple of nights.  Local forecast called for possible snow flurries!  Gotta love Germany!!!  Since I spent my youth in OK, MS, AL and other places hotter than a "you know what" I don't feel bad about enjoying this!  

slide-flipper

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
How's the weather???
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 11:01:37 AM »
Just ta make ya feel at home it's been running low to mid 90s here in my part of Bama and so dang dry we're watering potted stuff and newly planted stuff daily and still losing some.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

How's the weather???
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:36:29 PM »
:D It has been running in the mid to high 90s here in West Texas, and so dry we were dusting the fish for ticks and fleas.  We have been blessed the past two nights, good rains from about 1AM to day light, and there is more scheduled for tonight.  This is the first time in many years that we closed out the month of May with over three inches of rain.

With all the good luck, maybe there will be enough water to wash my neck come August. :wink:

The weather is weird, when I lived in Georgia it seemed like it rained every day, but traveling through the past 3-4 years it seemed like there had been a dry spell for quite a while.  I remember seeing crops in the field that looked like they were parched, cotton that looked almost as poor as the dry land crops here.

Maybe you will be blessed with something off the rain we are getting. :D

Offline DWTim

• Contributor
How's the weather???
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 04:27:39 PM »
I think all that water is up in the Northeast. It's been in the 80s, and so humid that my three gauges have been stuck around 80% all week. Can't empty the dehumidifier fast enough!

Offline slide-flipper

What I really hate is...
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 09:08:22 PM »
when I go on leave back to OK, I end up working on the farm or the rent houses and it just kills me then...  Man, after a few years in northern europe, southern OK is like a blast furnace!!!  Supposed to be 55-60 this weekend but still raining.  It has rained for the last 4 days now.  Not really heavy but just rain off and on.  No AC in the house... don't really need it over here.  If it gets too hot... they say it happens sometimes... just sleep in the basement for a couple of nights.  I sure hope I can convince the AF to make my next assignement in a place where the weather if favorable.  No offense GB, but as much as I enjoyed my 5 years in AL, I don't want to go back except for deer season!

slide-flipper

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
How's the weather???
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 09:17:32 PM »
Temp during the day is in the high 60s, in the evening and early mornings in the high 40s.  We don't have nights now, it does not get dark.  Sun shinny and bright.  Somedays an occasional cloud will pass by dropping a light shower somewhere in the valley.  Just another beautiful day in paradise.

The sun does go down, but sets just below the horizon for three hours, then comes right back up.  It does not get dark.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
How's the weather???
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 12:40:57 AM »
We have been experiencing a mid-summer like heat wave here in the Baltimore area.  It's been in the high 80's - low 90's this week.  The forecast is for a cool front to move in tonight from the Ohio valley and drop the temps to a more normal level over the weekend, high 70's - low 80's.

EVOC ONE

Offline Savage .250

How's the weather???
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 04:09:31 AM »
Weather!   I`m in central Fl.......................enough said. :D
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Questor

How's the weather???
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:36:15 AM »
Here in Minnesota, near the center of the contintental land mass, we have a reputation for being a cold climate, but it's really an extreme climate with temps ranging from -40F to +100F during the year. During May we had snow and 100F temps at my home (though not on the same day.)  We had a hard frost about a week before it hit 100.  It doesn't help the fishing at all.
Safety first

Offline NYH1

How's the weather???
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 05:44:49 AM »
In Central New York it's been in the upper 80's and low 90's with a little rain hear and there and LOTS of humidity. It's cooling off now. Supposed to be in the mid 70's the rest of the week!  :grin:

slide-flipper, you in V Corps?  The Big Red One, 1st Armored Division? :grin:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
How's the weather???
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 06:08:25 AM »
This is easy here in AR, hot & humid until Oct.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline slide-flipper

New York Hunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 08:14:29 PM »
NOPE!  Nothing fun like that... I'm AF... stuck in US European Command Hq's.  We "own" the components like US Army Europe, USAFE, NAVEUR, SOCEUR etc...  just a staff NCO for now... pushing papers and keeping the world safe for democracy through the judicious and timely employment of PowerPoint!!!  Hopefully, if they don't tick me off and make me decide to retire, the next assignement will be to an operational unit.  Until then, "CHAIRFORCE!"

slide-flipper

Offline rockbilly

How's the weather???
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 05:09:04 AM »
:D Slide-flipper.  Are guns still cheap in Europe?  I was stationed in Holland, Germany and Spain 70-76, at that time the Rod and Gun Clubs offered some very good deals on guns, and custom made guns could be found on the local economy at reasonable prices. I shipped 156 firearms back to the states when I came home.  It took the government customs agent almost 10 hours to uncrated and inspect each gun when they were delivered to me here in Texas.

Purchasing the guns almost caused a divorce, thirty years later my wife tells me it was a very wise investment, somethig to enrich HER retirement. :roll:

Offline slide-flipper

rockabilly...
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 08:11:53 PM »
NOPE!  Ain't nothin' cheap in Europe anymore!  I haven't found anything yet that I don't think I could buy cheaper in the US.  Guns... well... if you wanted to own 156 here you better have the word "POLIZEI" in your name!  Gotta have a license to possess a gun here.  Gotta have a reason to get a license.  Take the hunting license course, get the license, go to your city for a "Waffenbesitzekart" and THEN you can go buy a gun to go hunting or whatever.  'Course you also have to have a security cabinet that is inspected by the polizei.  I'll probably go through the pain and agony of the whole process later this fall.  The only good thing is you find guns over here that are hard to find in the US, not that you can't get them there BUT here they are on the shelf.  Unfortuneately(sp?) we don't get tax relief on guns.  Full price plus 16%.  Gotta love it.
     The only thing we have found here that might be a bargain is some antiques.  I picked up a china set for about $300 and priced it on ebay at about $1000 altogether.  You have to get away from the US bases and tourist sites to get better prices though.  The good thing is most Germans are still moving to urban areas which means apartment living for them.  They want IKEA furniture instead of grandma's solid oak stuff... so there is a lot for sale.  My German friends who have a nice house just laugh and buy all the good stuff they can afford.  The call the young folks the "IKEA generation".

later,
slide-flipper

Offline rockbilly

How's the weather???
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 06:45:19 AM »
:shock: I guess the good times are gone.  While I was in Germany (Bitburg AB) during the early 70s we had an exceptionally good Rod and Gun Club.  The prices in the retail store were great.  For example, I bought a Winchester 101 Skeet Set, (12, 20 and 28 gauge plus the .410 gun) for $1200.  A Sako Finbear sold for about three hundred dollars.  I purchased a Browning Hi-Power for $175, Mannlicher, Mauser and Steyr were really cheap in the clubs.  The guns were mostly new in the box, but they also had some great used guns on consignment from a German dealer.  Several of the other bases also had good Rod and Gun Clubs, but Luxemberg and Belguim had some good buys on the economy especially at antique shops.  There was no restriction on the number of guns you could own, and no special requirement for storage while I was there.  As "key personnel" I had to live on base and the guns were kept in my quarters.

I know what you mean about the Germans getting rid of their old heavy oak furniture.  Trash night was Thursdays, after 10PM they put things they wanted to dispose of on the street. A friend had a VW van with all the seats removed except the drivers, we picked up some really nice antique furniture from their trash and hauled it away in the old VW.  My friend found a ton of clocks in the trash, most needed repair or refinish. After some work, many were sold to other Americans.  I am sure he made a ton of money off the trash. :wink:

Offline slide-flipper

It is different now...
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 03:43:39 AM »
I only know of about 3 R&G clubs now... Heidleburg, Panzer Kaserne in Stuttgart and I think one in the Kaiserslautern/Ramstein area.  The one here in Stuttgart is pretty much dead.  The did have a good sale on some SIG's (compact .32's only) but since I don't have my Waffenbesitzekarte I couldn't pick one up.  The one in Heidelburg seems pretty good, they have ranges/archery/paintball/hunting trips etc...  I have heard they have a pretty good grill there too.  The one here seems to consist of three guys sitting around... you can get accessories there like holsters, mags etc. That's about all...

slide-flipper

Offline rockbilly

How's the weather???
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 07:43:53 AM »
:D Times have changed.  I guess many things, including the terrorist activities have influenced the commanders not to promote and support the R&G Clubs.  Of course, they likely were influenced by the German government as well.  It sounds like the "Status of Forces Aggrement" may have been revised if the German government now requires American military to have permits prior to purchasing firearms.  In my day it only took the signature of the local Security Forces Commander.  It was a different story when the time came to ship the guns home.  It took approval of the BTAF, and a permit that wasn't hard to get, but took forever to process.

Enjoy your stay, and be safe. :D